Injury Report: Quinton Byfield out indefinitely with ankle injury

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
QB needs to be in Ontario, developing.

He made the team out of camp according to TM until the injury. A rehab stint sure, but that's it. The development in the A is over.

Gonna be interesting when he returns. My bet is Kupari or Kaliyev get sent down when it should be Lizotte.

They kept those two over Wagner, they'll keep them up as long as they show they are earning their roles.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Gonna be interesting when he returns. My bet is Kupari or Kaliyev get sent down when it should be Lizotte.

IMO Kupari has proven that he belongs in the NHL. Arty could use some more cooking time, but he's close.
I think a few week stint in Ontario for Q wouldn't be a bad thing, especially coming off a fractured leg. Work himself back into beast mode.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
IMO Kupari has proven that he belongs in the NHL. Arty could use some more cooking time, but he's close.
I think a few week stint in Ontario for Q wouldn't be a bad thing, especially coming off a fractured leg. Work himself back into beast mode.

Agree 100%. QB should start his season with the Reign. AK should be sent down as well as soon as Lias/Arvidsson is ready to go.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
If you mean as a rehab assignment once he comes back from injury, yes I'd agree. Short of that, QB belongs in the NHL. Last season he was ONT's best player on any given night, save for when Lias got sent down (and not including Amadio).; at least in my opinion. I think his board work and decision making needs improvement, but his size, speed and skill were noticeable. I think he'd be better served watching, learning and playing along side Kopitar and PD given his progression.
One thing I've taken away from Blake is that he rushes players. Look at Vilardi. Guy did 24 games in the A and was doing pretty well. He was then called up. He should've been given more time to round out his game. His defensive game. Play in his own zone. The neutral zone and the offensive zone. Vilardi could've really used that time. Now we're seeing a GV that didn't really develop. Wasn't given enough time to really excel and bring a championship home or die trying. We're seeing a crippled GV. Guy just doesn't have it.

And now you want to bring QB up so quick? Not a good move. He needs time to develop in the A. Bring home a championship. Give it his all. He's got a lot of developing to do. I think if you bring him up right now, the best you'll get is a 3rd line grinder, a la Lizzotte or Lemieux. Let him play in Ontario and simmer. Let him go through what it means to be a winner at a lesser level. Guy's just too young and raw. Incredibly raw. He could be so much, or he could be so little. I'm saying, let him develop!

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
One thing I've taken away from Blake is that he rushes players. Look at Vilardi. Guy did 24 games in the A and was doing pretty well. He was then called up. He should've been given more time to round out his game. His defensive game. Play in his own zone. The neutral zone and the offensive zone. Vilardi could've really used that time. Now we're seeing a GV that didn't really develop. Wasn't given enough time to really excel and bring a championship home or die trying. We're seeing a crippled GV. Guy just doesn't have it.

And now you want to bring QB up so quick? Not a good move. He needs time to develop in the A. Bring home a championship. Give it his all. He's got a lot of developing to do. I think if you bring him up right now, the best you'll get is a 3rd line grinder, a la Lizzotte or Lemieux. Let him play in Ontario and simmer. Let him go through what it means to be a winner at a lesser level. Guy's just too young and raw. Incredibly raw. He could be so much, or he could be so little. I'm saying, let him develop!

Vilardi had 7 pts in his first 10 NHL games. The next season he had respectable numbers and looked great playing with Frk. He was arguably the best player in preseason. He's barely played the total of a full NHL season and we're seeing a crippled Vilardi?

Just curious if you feel the same about Anderson, Bjornfot and Kaliyev; all who've played around the same amount of games in the AHL as Byfield.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Dude, what planet are you living on? Just read the last game thread where the first 9 pages (until the Kings took the lead) was non-stop whining about how BLUC/Todd won't play the youngsters. They're hanging onto the veterans like a hair on a biscuit.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Vilardi had 7 pts in his first 10 NHL games. The next season he had respectable numbers and looked great playing with Frk. He was arguably the best player in preseason. He's barely played the total of a full NHL season and we're seeing a crippled Vilardi?

Just curious if you feel the same about Anderson, Bjornfot and Kaliyev; all who've played around the same amount of games in the AHL as Byfield.
Yeah I think those players could do well with more time in Ontario.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm kind of 50/50 on him going to the WJC. One part wants ease him back in with the Reign and get his feet back under him. I think its asking a lot of him to jump back into a high pressure tournament coming back from injury. That being said having him playing with his peers and it being played in Canada it would tough for him to turn that down. I'd prefer he stay away and be with Ontario, but if he's healthy and Canada wants him I wouldn't fight to stop him from playing with them.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm kind of 50/50 on him going to the WJC. One part wants ease him back in with the Reign and get his feet back under him. I think its asking a lot of him to jump back into a high pressure tournament coming back from injury. That being said having him playing with his peers and it being played in Canada it would tough for him to turn that down. I'd prefer he stay away and be with Ontario, but if he's healthy and Canada wants him I wouldn't fight to stop him from playing with them.

Ugh. Too much BS to deal with if he's in the WJC. The arguments I anticipate

- a 2nd overall pick playing in the WJC in his D+2 = bust
- getting 10 points in the tourney instead of 11+ = bust
- dominating on a stacked Canadian team = passenger = bust

People will watch him and pretend to know what they're talking about. I'd rather them not watch him and pretend to know what they're talking about. Like people admitting "I didn't know Dustin Brown was still playing lolz"

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Assuming he could get a few games with the Reign I'd be all for loaning him to team Canada. If he can't dominate that tournament as a 3rd year and having already played well in a pro league we have a big problem, but if he does go he'd probably be named captain and absolutely obliterate the competition which would be a huge confidence builder for him especially after his prior two tournaments.

Reactions: lumbergh

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Assuming he could get a few games with the Reign I'd be all for loaning him to team Canada. If he can't dominate that tournament as a 3rd year and having already played well in a pro league we have a big problem, but if he does go he'd probably be named captain and absolutely obliterate the competition which would be a huge confidence builder for him especially after his prior two tournaments.

I don't think that's what that means. I don't want him to have a poor tournament, but even if he did, that wouldn't mean his career's in jeopardy or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00