Injury Report: Quick has knee surgery - out indefinitely

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The incompetent ghost of Lombardi strikes again.

Just like 16-17 with Quick, and last year with Carter, they're going to go with what they got. It's a hard cap league, they're last in the league, and Blake doing anything right now would be Lombardi level of bad GMing. He's working from a total position of weakness, and they don't even have any expiring contracts for the deadline. I would say expect nothing to happen, in whatever way you want to use that expectation. Nobody needs the Kings bad contracts. Nobody needs their old players. There's not going to be a fire sale, because there's nothing to sell.

Or it is Incompetent Blake striking as he has been the GM for two drafts/off-seasons. He doubled down on these guys and was most likely trading futures for Patches.

Lombardi made mistakes. No arguments there.

Blake has done jack shit except not trade futures outside of the Mitchell trade, although he can thank Patches for keeping it to only the Mitchell trade.

He's drafted and signed UFAs. Cool. He brought in Phaneuf and Thompson. Okay? He has not moved anyone of significance from a roster that nearly everyone on here believed would be a black hole at best squad last season (basically were one) and then added another big contract and age.

Screw this guy. No secret I don't like him but I've preached about it being too early to grade him: not anymore. He had a year to see what he had and he decided he had a great team and just needed more scoring from the wing.

Gross miscalculation. Now he is presiding over the worst start since they were purposefully tanking.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The incompetent ghost of Lombardi strikes again.

Just like 16-17 with Quick, and last year with Carter, they're going to go with what they got. It's a hard cap league, they're last in the league, and Blake doing anything right now would be Lombardi level of bad GMing. He's working from a total position of weakness, and they don't even have any expiring contracts for the deadline. I would say expect nothing to happen, in whatever way you want to use that expectation. Nobody needs the Kings bad contracts. Nobody needs their old players. There's not going to be a fire sale, because there's nothing to sell.

Sorry, but I can't stand reading this bullshit. The incompetent Dean Lombardi won your ass, and mine, TWO CUPS! Show some respect for f***s sake.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

giphy.gif

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Or it is Incompetent Blake striking as he has been the GM for two drafts/off-seasons. He doubled down on these guys and was most likely trading futures for Patches.

Blake has done jack **** except not trade futures outside of the Mitchell trade, although he can thank Patches for keeping it to only the Mitchell trade.

He's drafted and signed UFAs. Cool. He brought in Phaneuf and Thompson. Okay? He has not moved anyone of significance from a roster that nearly everyone on here believed would be a black hole at best squad last season (basically were one) and then added another big contract and age.

Screw this guy. No secret I don't like him but I've preached about it being too early to grade him: not anymore. He had a year to see what he had and he decided he had a great team and just needed more scoring from the wing.

Gross miscalculation. Now he is presiding over the worst start since they were purposefully tanking.

When your only major criticism of Blake is a rumored proposed trade that we don't know the cost of and was denied by the team, you really don't have much to go off of. I do agree that Lombardi was amazing, it likely was the right move to make the change, but he was a great GM for the team.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
When your only major criticism of Blake is a rumored proposed trade that we don't know the cost of and was denied by the team, you really don't have much to go off of. I do agree that Lombardi was amazing, it likely was the right move to make the change, but he was a great GM for the team.

It isn't the only criticism but, regardless, the team denying it means nothing in the wake of it being widely reported and then Patches firing his agent over the whole debacle.

With that being said, the proof is in the pudding right now. He bet on this team and they are a tire fire.

Lombardi bet on his team that wasn't as far removed from success and he is a clown that couldn't keep up with the game changing.

Blake bets on a worse version of the same dudes but he is cool because there are prospects with more upside that could still amount to nothing but we like to pretend they will all reach their full potential, much like Hocking, Rosa, Storr, Berg, Zultek, Barney, Karlsson, Steckel, Tukonen, Tambellini, Grebeshkov, Pushkarev, Lehoux, Ryan, Hickey, Purcell, Teubert, Moller, Gibson, Forbort, Zykov, McKeown and Cernak all did.

I want him to do well. Shit, I need him to do well. I'm not looking to cut off my nose to spite my face; however, I'm going to say he is shit the second he starts to smell like it.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It isn't the only criticism but, regardless, the team denying it means nothing in the wake of it being widely reported and then Patches firing his agent over the whole debacle.

With that being said, the proof is in the pudding right now. He bet on this team and they are a tire fire.

Lombardi bet on his team that wasn't as far removed from success and he is a clown that couldn't keep up with the game changing.

Blake bets on a worse version of the same dudes but he is cool because there are prospects with more upside that could still amount to nothing but we like to pretend they will all reach their full potential, much like Hocking, Rosa, Storr, Berg, Zultek, Barney, Karlsson, Steckel, Tukonen, Tambellini, Grebeshkov, Pushkarev, Lehoux, Ryan, Hickey, Purcell, Teubert, Moller, Gibson, Forbort, Zykov, McKeown and Cernak all did.

I want him to do well. ****, I need him to do well. I'm not looking to cut off my nose to spite my face; however, I'm going to say he is **** the second he starts to smell like it.

My point is that it was a rumored trade and we know nothing of what the return was going to be. Even McKenzie only said "the belief is that there was a deal in place", that is the closest to confirmation regarding this trade. He did bet on the team, but really didn't go all in, hence him standing pat at the deadline and making nearly all of his picks the past 2 drafts. I don't agree that Lombardi is a clown, I think he is a guy that got a bit too attached to his players. Loyalty is a fault, especially in his line of work, but calling him a clown is just ignorant.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
People also ask

How long does it take to recover from torn meniscus surgery?

The patient may need crutches for about 6 weeks and can return to playing sports in approximately 3 months. Example 2: A patient who has surgery to repair a large meniscal tear as well as knee laxity may not be allowed to bend the knee for 4 to 6 weeks.

Horror story for Flyers goalie prospect Anthony Stolarz who missed most of last year due to two meniscus tears. He was close to coming back after the first surgery, then his knee popped as he got into his car and he ended up tearing it again.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
My point is that it was a rumored trade and we know nothing of what the return was going to be. Even McKenzie only said "the belief is that there was a deal in place", that is the closest to confirmation regarding this trade. He did bet on the team, but really didn't go all in, hence him standing pat at the deadline and making nearly all of his picks the past 2 drafts. I don't agree that Lombardi is a clown, I think he is a guy that got a bit too attached to his players. Loyalty is a fault, especially in his line of work, but calling him a clown is just ignorant.

While it isn't a super valuable pick, he did trade one for Mitchell. My point about betting on this team is not at last year's deadline but rather this past off-season.

He thought this team was better than it was. Now he is in a weak position to make a trade and the assets continue to depreciate.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
While it isn't a super valuable pick, he did trade one for Mitchell. My point about betting on this team is not at last year's deadline but rather this past off-season.

He thought this team was better than it was. Now he is in a weak position to make a trade and the assets continue to depreciate.

What assets do you think he has that he can trade? Or that he could have traded since he has been GM?
From the way you talk about this team they seem to have the least amount of talent in the league, so even if our assets are depreciating, if there is not much in the first place are they really losing that much?

I think Blake is attempting a retool, however maybe he sees the team like you do and thinks this is the worst team in the league and that keeping them together will give us the best odds for a high draft pick.

Haha, maybe he is just playing mind games with everyone.
Because you can't on one hand complain about the team not purposefully losing, while at the same time complaining that the team is not winning.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I can handle last place finish if the Kings can get Hughes or Kakko...then there's also Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach. if Kings are bottom 5. Trade Carter, Pearson, one of: Martinez, Muzzin now. Let the kids play. Believe it or not, by adding either Hughes or Kakko NEXT season, as well as (hopefully) Vilardi, JAD, and Kupari, this will actually be a good team and NO major rebuild.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was okay to give Blake a year last year to evaluate the team, give himself some time to look at the players, determine an identity and build it. He handled last year almost exactly as I wanted him to.

But now that he's had this time, he needs to act and start building. Frankly, it's a little galling he didn't choose to trade anyone for more picks at the draft.

The inaction in this organization is downright scary. It's a little encouraging the team opted for a lot of high risk/high reward picks at the draft, but the coaching and development staff have yet to yield many positive results, and there is nobody showing a willingness or ability to elevate their game further.

The Kings should not depend on a Norris and Hart caliber performance from their two key players to "eek" into the playoffs. Their performance this year is disappointing, which is why they're even lower in the standings, but they shouldn't be the difference between playoff team and worst team in the league.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't know about this. Lombardi acquired and developed Bernier and Jones. Both are NHL average to better than average NHL goalies.

In Quick, while he wasn't drafted by Lombardi, Lombardi cracked the whip (sent him down to ECHL) and Quick responded. Isn't having a dominant goalie one of the goals any GM should ascribe to for maximum success. Lombardi had two pretty good ones in Quick and Nabokov. Don't forget he drafted and developed Kiprusoff in San Jose as well.

My point is Dean Lombardi understands the importance of the goaltending position.

All you said is true. But I think you missed the point, Kings never had a back up ready to replace Quick as he got older and fragile. That doesn't mean he doesn't draft good goalies. They just timed this all wrong.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I can handle last place finish if the Kings can get Hughes or Kakko...then there's also Podkolzin, Cozens, Dach. if Kings are bottom 5. Trade Carter, Pearson, one of: Martinez, Muzzin now. Let the kids play. Believe it or not, by adding either Hughes or Kakko NEXT season, as well as (hopefully) Vilardi, JAD, and Kupari, this will actually be a good team and NO major rebuild.
I don't know anything about this years kids. Are the top 5 really good?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
All you said is true. But I think you missed the point, Kings never had a back up ready to replace Quick as he got older and fragile. That doesn't mean he doesn't draft good goalies. They just timed this all wrong.

I mean, the problem is they did TOO good of a job, frankly. The guys groomed as heirs ended up taking their own jobs, like Jones and Bernier. Even the scruff like Scrivens and Kuemper got new gigs. Then you have Bartosak imploding, JF Berube getting snagged off waivers...it's not like other positions where you can have 20 guys on deck. You can really feasibly only have NHL potential guys arguably 5 deep.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What assets do you think he has that he can trade? Or that he could have traded since he has been GM?
From the way you talk about this team they seem to have the least amount of talent in the league, so even if our assets are depreciating, if there is not much in the first place are they really losing that much?

I think Blake is attempting a retool, however maybe he sees the team like you do and thinks this is the worst team in the league and that keeping them together will give us the best odds for a high draft pick.

Haha, maybe he is just playing mind games with everyone.
Because you can't on one hand complain about the team not purposefully losing, while at the same time complaining that the team is not winning.

I don't know...anybody on the team?

It is really an argument that many on here have been making regarding being proactive with trading guys--Carter primarily--before they decline since this team was never winning another Cup with what is left over from 2014.

We can definitely blame Dean's trading of 1st round picks and his staff's--the current scouting staff's--complete inability to draft anyone impactful for years. Since the writing was on the wall with the pipeline devoid of top-flight talent coupled with an aging, cap-strapped roster, it made sense to try to move assets more likely to depreciate rapidly due to age.

I keep reading "retool" but you aren't retooling by simply injecting dime-a-dozen prospects, sans Iafallo, and a 35-year old gunslinger that hasn't taken it out of the holster in NA for the past four seasons. You're simply trying to win with the same team that apparently wasn't good enough to keep Lombardi around for in the first place.

The core needs an influx of young, cheap, impactful talent. I don't blame Blake for not providing that yet; however, the window will close on the Cup core before his draft picks are good enough at the NHL level to provide the support needed for a successful retool.

So, if they are going to be the worst team in the NHL, how about being proactive and try to get decent prospects from other teams and picks for these legacy guys? For the future of the franchise, continuing to just roll the nostalgia act out there is going to be disastrous.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't know anything about this years kids. Are the top 5 really good?

They aren't getting the hype as other drafts, but there are still some quality players. Jack Hughes, even though he's had an "average" year so far, is getting comparisons to Patrick Kane.

Why Jack Hughes is the top-ranked 2019 NHL draft prospect

Hughes' 16-year-old season is essentially unprecedented for an American player. At USA Hockey's National Team Development Program, he put up 116 points -- just one point shy of Auston Matthews' program record. The big difference is Matthews did it when he was a year older. The previous high-water mark for a U17 player at the NTDP was 82 points set by Phil Kessel and Clayton Keller. That's a 34-point difference from what Hughes did. Last I checked, both of those guys are pretty good NHL players.

Kaapo Kakko has been rising quite a bit, and has been playing well as a 17 year-old against men. He has 10 points in 14 games. I need to watch more of him.

Kirby Dach is also rising very quickly. He has 27 points in 16 games in the WHL. He's a large playmaking center; some people have compared him to Joe Thornton. Others have compared him to Getzlaf, though I don't see the mean streak to his game where that's a good comparison.

Dylan Cozens was touted more than Dach prior to this season's start. He's a faster player with more two way ability and physical play.

Vasiliy Podkolzin is a skilled winger who just knows how to score. I want to watch more of him, but he just bulls his way to the net.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-kakko-boldy-and-kaliyev-rise-up-draft-rankings-1.1196164

If the Kings can nab another first round pick (or if they pick just outside the top 10), I wouldn't mind a player like Alex Turcotte or Raphael Lavoie. Though I have to see more video on them and read more on these players (I've focused more on forwards).

Reactions: Kylo Ren

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I was okay to give Blake a year last year to evaluate the team, give himself some time to look at the players, determine an identity and build it. He handled last year almost exactly as I wanted him to.

But now that he's had this time, he needs to act and start building. Frankly, it's a little galling he didn't choose to trade anyone for more picks at the draft.

The inaction in this organization is downright scary. It's a little encouraging the team opted for a lot of high risk/high reward picks at the draft, but the coaching and development staff have yet to yield many positive results, and there is nobody showing a willingness or ability to elevate their game further.

The Kings should not depend on a Norris and Hart caliber performance from their two key players to "eek" into the playoffs. Their performance this year is disappointing, which is why they're even lower in the standings, but they shouldn't be the difference between playoff team and worst team in the league.

The problem with trading anyone this off-season, A. you wouldn't have been able to re-sign Doughty, and B. who replaces those, let's say you deal Carter...who is the 2nd line C, Kempe? Everyone bitches about him...., you trade Muzzin? Who replaces him, Brickley? he can't handle the AHL right now....

You actually have to have players in place to replace those you want traded, you have to make sure they are capable of replacing those players...

He's showing restraint and patience, exactly what you want in a GM, can you imagine the shitshow if he trades Kempe and Kempe turns into a Nazem Kadri type player? Holy hell people around here would be offing themselves.....

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Meh, Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, Pearson, and maybe Carter all still have value. It depends on injuries and what a team is looking for in a trade.

Those aren't what I would call fire sale trades though. They're all still signed through at least next year. To me fire sale is UFA's out the door. They have no UFA's of much if any value. Might be semantics, but the 5 that everyone agrees has some sort of value will require taking more than a pick and/or a prospect back.

Blake has done jack **** except not trade futures outside of the Mitchell trade, although he can thank Patches for keeping it to only the Mitchell trade.

Just talking about Quick's 10 year contract. Blake has his own mess, and may not be an NHL GM. The 10 year deal for him, like the 7 year deal for Gaborik, all done to keep the cap low, keeps coming back to bite them. That's the Faustian bargain Lombardi made.

Sorry, but I can't stand reading this bull****. The incompetent Dean Lombardi won your ass, and mine, TWO CUPS! Show some respect for ****s sake.

I was pro-Richards trade, pro-Sekera, pro-Lucic, pro-Versteeg. At the time they were made, and still today. A GM doesn't get the chance to really win very often. Have to do it no matter what the long term cost is. Made some mistakes pre-2012 that still hurt the team though. Lucked out that Carter was available at all, and that he was as cheap as he was, considering what the Jackets gave up. I don't know if there was anyone else good enough to help the team win that year had Carter not wanted out. Lombardi bet on Gagne staying healthy to win the Cup. Went all in on Richards, and the roster was still multiple moves away from contending.

Incompetent is too hyperbolic. That is true. I can and do go too far with that sometimes. At the same time, Lombardi ended up taking a lot of boom or bust risks, from at least 2007 to 2016. Not a ton of middle ground concerning DL. His ghost will still be with the team for a while though, for good or bad.

That type of succession plan is extremely difficult to pull off in pro sports though. Tough in any business, because no two people are the exact same, but pro sports is about that individual championship trophy. A lot of companies can make a lot of money every year. One team gets to win a championship every year, and fans don't care if a franchise makes money.

The thing with Quick is that once he signed that 10 year deal, he was essentially untradeable. That decreased the value of Bernier, and Jones. Not that goalies have a ton of value. It's a very complicated position. Also very simple. Only one can play, and if he's not in there, he's on the bench.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The problem with trading anyone this off-season, A. you wouldn't have been able to re-sign Doughty, and B. who replaces those, let's say you deal Carter...who is the 2nd line C, Kempe? Everyone *****es about him...., you trade Muzzin? Who replaces him, Brickley? he can't handle the AHL right now....

You actually have to have players in place to replace those you want traded, you have to make sure they are capable of replacing those players...

He's showing restraint and patience, exactly what you want in a GM, can you imagine the ****show if he trades Kempe and Kempe turns into a Nazem Kadri type player? Holy hell people around here would be offing themselves.....

Even with Kempe's warts, I don't think anyone is talking about trading a guy like Kempe who has one full, start-to-finish NHL year under his belt.

What it boils down to is this: Who the f*** cares who the 2C is if they are going to be in last place anyways?

As for Doughty, this franchise is going to be in a lot of trouble if it makes all of its personnel decisions based on what a player will think. I believe that usually works out well in every sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad