GDT: Quarterfinal • Finland vs. Canada • Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I don't blame Nattinen.

He just wants to win.

It's Saarela who says it in an interview who is classless.

Dressing room talk stays in the dressing room.

I agree with this, it was probably said in the dressing room as a method to pump the team up. Almost akin to displaying blackwoods weakness.

What is said in the locker room should be kept there. I have no issues with that. But to say it publicly (and possibly twisting words) isn't right.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Blackwood isn't very good but that shows a lack of class. How can you play with somebody in the OHL and then rip them behind their back. If Nattinen had any guts he would say it to his face and deal with the consequences.

I don't know the context, but Nättinen saying that sounds like he's talking to his teammates before the game. You know, encouraging and whatnot. Saarela saying that in public is what's classless.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Does that mean Nattinen will be traded. Could be uncomfortable for the two of them to still be on the same team.

It's the kind of thing that will blow over I think.

People talk all kinds of **** in the dressing room.

Even about friends on other teams. (I know I have! ;) )

Not bright from Saarela though.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yep agreed. You can tell it by the goalies as well. Canada's goalies have been less than stellar compared to their counterparts of other national teams.

Yep. Goalie development has really dropped off for the National Program and I can't remember the last time the WJ team took the best goalies available. They really need to revamp their take on that. It's not that Blackwood is garbage but I can't fathom why they thought taking a guy who is still serving a suspension and giving him the #1 spot was some recipe for success.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't blame Nattinen.

He just wants to win.

Saarela is saying all those things tongue in cheek. Also the way Nättinen said it is just typical harmless chirping between teammates you can hear all the time. It's not like he is seriously badmouthing him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yep. Goalie development has really dropped off for the National Program and I can't remember the last time the WJ team took the best goalies available. They really need to revamp their take on that.

Our goalies used to cover all kinds of fluctuations in the talent level of our international teams.

Amazing that we went from being the unquestioned best in the world in this department to having it be one of our biggest weaknesses.

At least we have Price.

HowDoIHockey

Supreme Mugwump
Jul 12, 2015
Victoria
Well that was disappointing, but at least it wasn't a blowout - it was still an exciting game.

I went in thinking that really either team could win without it being an upset. So, credit to Finland for playing well. Canada didn't so much give them the game as take away their own chance at winning.

The penalties in the last period were just brutal. Virtanen taking two was terrible. Marner being undisciplined at the end was just sad to see. Hicketts getting the puck over the glass was also unfortunate. Such an annoying rule. He probably could have played it differently but still, it's such a lame penalty.

Why was Blackwood never pulled? What was Strome doing at the end? I'm guessing something happened in those last few seconds that he was arguing.

I'm sad that Canada is out. Other than the penalties, I think they were finally starting to click, and could have done well if they passed this stage. It's exciting though for Finland to keep going with it being in Helsinki!

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't blame Nattinen.

He just wants to win.

100% agreed. He's going to get notified by his teammates if that is true. What players talk about opponents inside lockerroom, stays there.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I so wish the games were on tomorrow instead of Monday. Gaaaah I won't be able to catch them.

If w. Nylander was playing I'd be cheering for Sweden. But after the way Finland played today, I am very intrigued by them and might subconsciously be rooting for them come puck drop.

Loko

Jan 2, 2016
Canada wants to play undisciplined BS hockey then that's the result.
Well, Finland played same game, just better individuals.. The weirdest Finnish hockey team ever :laugh:

The refs had money on this game for sure.
I guess they failed then? :D

Fins is going to destroy everyone. They can score enough to win.
Im a bit sceptic.. At least Russia beat Finns already.

I'm surprised we even made a game of it. I expected it to be over before the 10 minute mark of the 1st.
Finland has one decent defender.. And its impossible to rate goalies when defence is so weak.. they may be ok, they may be awful.

Finland was the better team. But some of their fans on here couldn't have been more ridiculous complaining about the refs. You know who you are.
Its getting ridiculous to see North American ref again and again when Finland plays against North American teams.. It kind of looks like conspiracy.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yep. Goalie development has really dropped off for the National Program and I can't remember the last time the WJ team took the best goalies available. They really need to revamp their take on that. It's not that Blackwood is garbage but I can't fathom why they thought taking a guy who is still serving a suspension and giving him the #1 spot was some recipe for success.

I thought he'll get pulled for McDonald like how the Finns pulled their starter after the poor goaltending. Lowry was such an awful coach.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Virtanen did a nice job as a double agent, first showing his Lion-tattoo on Yle and then taking absolutely idiotic penalties. :laugh:

This, Virtanen was worst or best finnish player today, regarding how you want to see it

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
It's on Saarela no doubt. And these guys are competitors and "professionals", they'll deal with it or else it's not very a encouraging sign (if Blackwood couldn't handle it).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Saarela is saying all those things tongue in cheek. Also the way Nättinen said it is just typical harmless chirping between teammates you can hear all the time. It's not like he is seriously badmouthing him.

You just don't use the word "sieve" and the other team's goalie's name after a game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Its getting ridiculous to see North American ref again and again when Finland plays against North American teams.. It kind of looks like conspiracy.

IIHF refs are just bad.

It doesn't matter what country they come from.

I don't go around saying that European refs are pulling for European teams. It's silly. Would a Swedish ref favour a Finnish team? Of course not.

I'm not sure why American refs would favour Canada, especially since the Finns play a pretty physical game themselves.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
It's not only WJC. When the Olympics were held in Nagano and Turin, both USA and Canada failed the get medals. Sochi feels more like an exception to the rule.

That 1998 WJC when Canada failed to medal were also held in Finland. Doesn't feel like a coincidence...

Well to be honest all the European teams had amazing rosters in Nagano and Turin, but I still think there's has to be more to it. And it's not just Canada. It's USA also. You just dominate way more when they play on home ice.

Even in Sochi Canada looked really unimpressive despite having an amazing roster on paper. Maybe because Babcock made them play extremely defensive.
You're stretching it. Your posts are as biased and ridiculous as moon's.

If you don't think Canada was impressive in Sochi, then I can't really take you seriously. The only thing they were missing was a finishing touch, but other than that, Canada played to almost perfection. Very rarely did I felt we were in danger, even against a strong team like Sweden. We dominated in ALL the periods and controlled the puck like no other. People keep saying Canada played extremely defensive, but that's not true at all. The best defense is playing in the opposite zone and Canada did exactly that. Our offense was going circles around the opposition, but like I said, we did have a problem in finishing for some reason, but that does not mean Canada was defensive. Watch it again, you'll see it if you're able to watch without your biased glasses.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I thought he'll get pulled for McDonald like how the Finns pulled their starter after the poor goaltending. Lowry was such an awful coach.

I agree but it's not like McDonald is much better. Change in net would have shaken up the players at the very least, I don't know if the result would have been any different.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree but it's not like McDonald is much better. Change in net would have shaken up the players at the very least, I don't know if the result would have been any different.

Goalie switches are just as much about shifting momentum as it is about the actual performance of the goalies.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
There was a referee from the U.S. and one from Europe. Wouldn't two European referees be subject to the same criticism> The refs weren't the problem for either team.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
IIHF refs are just bad.

It doesn't matter what country they come from.

I don't go around saying that European refs are pulling for European teams. It's silly. Would a Swedish ref favour a Finnish team? Of course not.

I'm not sure why American refs would favour Canada, especially since the Finns play a pretty physical game themselves.

You can just extrapolate it to all refs. The quality of reffing no matter the league is at an all time low.

Honestly it's because if you're big enough to be a linesman or ref and can skate like they need to you're probably playing in some lower tier pro league.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was a referee from the U.S. and one from Europe. Wouldn't two European referees be subject to the same criticism> The refs weren't the problem for either team.

The nationality of the ref tin-foil hat conspiracies are thankfully something that doesn't come up in Canada very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad