GDT: Quarterfinal • Finland vs. Canada • Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, this game Finland won because of Virtanens 2+2. Dont know what he was thinking...Anyway thanks for a great game...Some has to win and some loose.

That and the crazy Hicketts delay of game.

Delays of game really haunt this team from time to time.

The WCs in 2008 for example - over the glass in OT.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
Congrats, that doesn't make the point any less true. Hockey IQ and regular intelligence aren't the same thing, and have little bearing on one another.

The guy just cost Canada the game and blamed the officiating. He sounds like a complete jackass.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I agree on the first part. The second part is a SERIOUS overstatement.

Is it? Benning allegedly loaned Virtanen to Canada with the agreement that he'd receive top six minutes. He contributed nothing offensively, was mostly a pedestrian physically and took costly penalties. And then he goes off about the refs in the post game interview.

Benning and Linden can't be happy with the kid. He was representing the Canucks as an NHLer and he was embarrassing to watch. And this is coming from a fan of his game/skillset. He was baaaaaad.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Is it? Benning allegedly loaned Virtanen to Canada with the agreement that he'd receive top six minutes. He contributed nothing offensively, was mostly a pedestrian physically and took costly penalties. And then he goes off about the refs in the post game interview.

Benning and Linden can't be happy with the kid. He was representing the Canucks as an NHLer and he was embarrassing to watch. And this is coming from a fan of his game/skillset. He was baaaaaad.

Not being pleased with him is a far cry from embarrassed and ashamed.

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015
He's 19, and talking in the heat of the moment. That happens. Does it mean he's unable to "take courses online" as you put it. Of course not, just an ignorant comment.

Nobody knows for sure. But if I had to put money on it, I would not be confident at all that Virtanen would be the brightest guy in the room lol.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Problem is those returning forwards are going to be similar to Virtanen this year. It's not great when you're expecting energy players from the year before to step in and produce a lot of offense.

I don't think Jake will be attending any Mensa conferences in the near future but I do think the expectations on him were a bit weird. He definitely should have had a better all around tournament no doubt but he wasn't producing last year either. I don't want to say he was still injured but he hadn't played for 3 weeks prior to the tournament so I have no clue why TC wanted him there given the situation.

Just again, a strange roster from top to bottom.

They don't necessarily need to create large amounts of offense but would need to provide greater offensive support next year. This years returnees were disappointing i'll admit but that's not the norm. I could see 8-10 skaters return for another shot, not so sure about Blackwood though as he's the only eligible goaltender. But hey, if he's hot heading up to it, he may just end up with another crack at it. I don't know of any younger Canadian goaltenders that are currently highly regarded.

matzz

Dec 28, 2013
Finland
That and the crazy Hicketts delay of game.

Delays of game really haunt this team from time to time.

The WCs in 2008 for example - over the glass in OT.

Yeah, Nash against Russia, remember it well though im Finnish, sucks.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I had high expectations for Virtanen based on him being a returnee while having NHL experience. That should have made him as a leader for this team. Rather than being a leader who could contribute offensively, he took so many dumb penalties that killed Canada's momentum. He had the worst tournament as a Canadian forward this year by far.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
he was better 5 on 5 than most of our forwards. Skilled players tend to turn pucks over more often, just ask guys like karlsson and subban. Barzal and strome both were, but barzal was invisible for more of the tournament than marner was.

not even close

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Man what a game. It wasn't beautiful, it wasn't clean. But man was it entertaining. And as a Finn, I'm happy as a beagle. If I were a Canadian, I'd be devastated. But it was a strong fight and could have easily gone other way.

Thanks for the game fellow hockey fans!

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Nobody knows for sure. But if I had to put money on it, I would not be confident at all that Virtanen would be the brightest guy in the room lol.

Question his hockey IQ all you want but insulting the non-hockey related intelligence of a 19 year old just looks petty.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That Finland line sure is explosive though.

Exciting for the fans.

If they had a complete team around them, I'd be pretty confident in a gold medal.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Turin and Nagano were pretty different.

In Nagano, they lost to Hasek and a strong Czech team that went on to win a whole bunch of Gold medals across multiple events.

Turin was the worst best-on-best Canadian team of all-time.
Well to be honest all the European teams had amazing rosters in Nagano and Turin, but I still think there's has to be more to it. And it's not just Canada. It's USA also. You just dominate way more when they play on home ice.

Even in Sochi Canada looked really unimpressive despite having an amazing roster on paper. Maybe because Babcock made them play extremely defensive.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Dermott did barely anything to contribute in the whole tournament. Chabot was Canada's best d man.

Which is more of a testament of how bad Canada's defense was, Chabot wasn't great. He choked in the Finland game, lots of bad turnovers late into the game.

Strome and Konecny were the only players on Canada that were decent. The rest were varying levels of garbage (to Canada's standards).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What a game.
Now i truly understand how great tournament world juniors are.

As a Finn i'm really happy that i had chance to go Hartwall Arena in preliminary round and watch our future NHL stars.
I know entire Canada is shocked for this loss and there's might be so many excuses etc speculations what Canada should had done better.

Thank you great game Canada and good luck for future.
We won this time.

This team Finland proved me really wrong.
When i gave a lot harsh and brutal critic after that horrible game against Russia.

I'll learn my lesson about this case and next time i'll believe to my country's team.
Next Monday we'll face your dear neighbors from Sweden that'll be another huge challenge. THANK YOU U20 TEAM FINLAND

Certainly entertaining and lots of talent on display but I don't believe this was was two of the better teams in the tourbament. Good luck though, anything can happen

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He choked in the Finland game, lots of bad turnovers late into the game.

He set up the first Canadian goal. (is that 3 games in a row where he did so?)

He had one bad play where his man beat him wide.

I think "choked" is a bit silly.

I wouldn't say he put out an all-star performance but he was as good if not better than anyone else on D for Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad