GDT: Quarterfinal • Finland vs. Canada • Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Which is more of a testament of how bad Canada's defense was, Chabot wasn't great. He choked in the Finland game, lots of bad turnovers late into the game.

Strome and Konecny were the only players on Canada that were decent. The rest were varying levels of garbage (to Canada's standards).

Exactly. That's how bad Canada's D was. Chabot's a fine d man, but in no way should he be Canada's best d man in the tournament. Real smart of Lowry to cut Chychrun off the team for Dermott and Fleury. :facepalm:

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I don't think the selection of this team was the problem. I don't think changing one player for another changes the outcome much. This team was fairly young and inexperienced but the talent was there. The coaching was atrocious, though. The players don't deserve to go blameless but I can't even count how many times I disagreed with the decisions made by Lowry. For example, your complaint about Sanheim not getting it going, that was in large part because of Lowry. He chose to play Hickett's half the game and gave him a lot of the PP time. When Sanehim got his chance today, the PP excelled.
Why Konecny didn't play more is a mystery to all of Canada, he is a heart and soul type of player that should've played twice as much as he did. I even think Stephens deserved more time with him, they two of them played well together.
Beauvillier and Barzal were too talented to be sitting on the bench as much as they did too, especially in offensive situations. The thought that Strome, Marner and Point could carry this team offensively was shown not to be true right from the start, but Lowry kept allowing them to take 2 minute shifts, and double shifting them. This team was deep enough to play 4 lines. In fact, they were at their best when rolling all 4 lines.

Amen to this post. I don't understand why all the hockey guru's on tsn are not talking about how effective this team looked in the first period when they were rolling four lines having quick shifts. Soon as the penalties started our brilliant coach went back to double shifting etc and then we looked like crap. This coach favoritism cost us a medal. We had too many talented players getting next to no chance to show their talents.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He set up the first Canadian goal. (is that 3 games in a row where he did so?)

He had one bad play where his man beat him wide.

I think "choked" is a bit silly.

Chabot is somewhat more allowed to have some gaffes given his age.

The fact he was at least the top 1-2 defenseman on a team of vet 19 year olds is pretty sad.

It's great for Chabot, doesn't look good on the team though.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
It's not only WJC. When the Olympics were held in Nagano and Turin, both USA and Canada failed the get medals. Sochi feels more like an exception to the rule.

That 1998 WJC when Canada failed to medal were also held in Finland. Doesn't feel like a coincidence...

Any country that holds the Olympics wins more medals that year, in a variety of sports where the referee/judging is subjective. That's a given. That does not mean, however, that the Finns did not deserve this particular win. I think they did. They were a better team for sure.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
So sick of watching Canada try and play Euro style hockey.

Miss the days where we were big, fast, physical, dirty teams that just intimidated and steam rolled their way to Gold after Gold. It worked for us for a lot of years and that's our brand of hockey. I could accept going out in the quarters if we were playing our game.
No, you can't win like that anymore. The last time we won 5 Golds in a row, we had tremendous talent and many of the core players had brought us the last 2 Olympic gold medals and both those teams were all-out talents except for maybe Kunitz and that's only to facilitate Crosby. Our last World Championship Gold from last year where we were really good was a very speedy and skillful team, not a dirty and physical one. We lost this year because of lack of character and smarts, not because of the style of play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chabot is somewhat more allowed to have some gaffes given his age.

The fact he was at least the top 1-2 defenseman on a team of vet 19 year olds is pretty sad.

It's great for Chabot, doesn't look good on the team though.

The D never looks good when every mistake ends up in the back of the net. ;)

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Well to be honest all the European teams had amazing rosters in Nagano and Turin, but I still think there's has to be more to it. And it's not just Canada. It's USA also. You just dominate way more when they play on home ice.

Even in Sochi Canada looked really unimpressive despite having an amazing roster on paper. Maybe because Babcock made them play extremely defensive.

They won the tournament and allowed 3 goals in 6 games. It was a dominant performance. Just not a flashy goal fest

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
Saarela is quoted on the following: "Blackwood is Nattinen's teammate and he told us that he's a sieve."

Sep 19, 2008
Well the boys didn't play well for most of the tournament and it showed today. With their backs against the wall they tried but failed.

This whole tournament was a shock for Canada ever since the prelim against Sweden. They only had one comfortable win against Denmark. They lost to the USA and barely beat the likes of Switzerland. After last year's gold this was a massive disappointment.

It's indisputable this is the worst finish Canada has had in over a decade. In the year that Canada didn't medal (for the first time in what seemed like 50 years) they lost to the Russians in the bronze game. They didn't even have a chance to medal this year.

It's clear the rest of the world has caught up to Canada. But in some ways it also reinforces the fact that 5 different teams have won the world juniors the last 5 years. You can't be expected to just "Be Canada" and show up and "AllHeartCanada" and roll over everyone like the old days. This tournament has a lot more parity and Canada has to adapt to that. The rest of the world is getting better at this damn thing. So improve in return.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's clear the rest of the world has caught up to Canada. But in some ways it also reinforces the fact that 5 different teams have won the world juniors the last 5 years. You can't be expected to just "Be Canada" and show up and "AllHeartCanada" and roll over everyone like the old days. This tournament has a lot more parity and Canada has to adapt to that. The rest of the world is getting better at this damn thing. So improve in return.

I think the pressure is starting to weigh heavily on these kids.

I agree with Ron Wilson a bit.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Saarela is quoted on the following: "Blackwood is Nattinen's teammate and he told us that he's a sieve."

Blackwood isn't very good but that shows a lack of class. How can you play with somebody in the OHL and then rip them behind their back. If Nattinen had any guts he would say it to his face and deal with the consequences.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Blackwood isn't very good but that shows a lack of class. How can you play with somebody in the OHL and then rip them behind their back. If Nattinen had any guts he would say it to his face and deal with the consequences.

I don't blame Nattinen.

He just wants to win.

It's Saarela who says it in an interview who is classless.

Dressing room talk stays in the dressing room.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well the boys didn't play well for most of the tournament and it showed today. With their backs against the wall they tried but failed.

This whole tournament was a shock for Canada ever since the prelim against Sweden. They only had one comfortable win against Denmark. They lost to the USA and barely beat the likes of Switzerland. After last year's gold this was a massive disappointment.

It's indisputable this is the worst finish Canada has had in over a decade. In the year that Canada didn't medal (for the first time in what seemed like 50 years) they lost to the Russians in the bronze game. They didn't even have a chance to medal this year.

I agree. Hockey Canada is so far behind the ball on their developmental program and just expect to float by based on pedigree. They're more concerned with optics and touting their own program than taking the best players available.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

I totally agree. There is certainly an element of cockiness in the formation of these Canadain teams. Cannot just throw together 18 guys, let the coach ride the high end skill, and expect to win every year. Too many countries developing great players. As much as it stings to lose, it will be better for Hockey Canada and the sport in general in the long run.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree. Hockey Canada is so far behind the ball on their developmental program and just expect to float by based on pedigree. They're more concerned with optics and touting their own program than taking the best players available.

Yep agreed. You can tell it by the goalies as well. Canada's goalies have been less than stellar compared to their counterparts of other national teams.

carlweezer*

I'm happy w. Jake's development.

Obviously not impressed w. Mental blunders but he is a teenager.

Progress wise you can see the explosion , strength , skating. NHL will also be able to factor the intimidation part of his game.

Knowing Jake this won't slow him down at all he will learn and move in. He has determinations and cahonas.

I mean who else would lay an earth shattering hit on MCdavid in summer hockey ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad