GDT: Quarterfinal • Finland vs. Canada • Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragon

May 5, 2010
You just don't use the word "sieve" and the other team's goalie's name after a game.
Neither of them really believe he's a sieve. He's not calling him out. He was just trying to give a funny answer in an interview. Also when he said "Canada is shiFting in their pants" you could see he was trying not to laugh, he said it just to lift the mood of home crowd.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Neither of them really believe he's a sieve. He's not calling him out. He was just trying to give a funny answer in an interview. Also when he said "Canada is shiFting in their pants" you could see he was trying not to laugh, he said it just to lift the mood of home crowd.

Well, I'm not a fan of players poking fun at the other team's players after you beat them.

Doesn't matter who is doing it.

Just my opinion.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

It's an unprofessional comment and I'd imagine his coach isn't thrilled with it.

There's something to be said about being a gracious winner and insulting opposing players doesn't really fall under that.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
It's an unprofessional comment and I'd imagine his coach isn't thrilled with it.

There's something to be said about being a gracious winner and insulting opposing players doesn't really fall under that.

the comment was from 2nd intermission interview, problem?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
What's this about? :laugh:

Virtanen had a huge hit on McDavid in a preseason game against the Oilers earlier in the year. I actually thought he looked very effective in that game. Its unfortunate that he couldn't bring that hard nosed style to the WJC without being drawn into so many penalties

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
If you don't think Canada was impressive in Sochi, then I can't really take you seriously. The only thing they were missing was a finishing touch, but other than that, Canada played to almost perfection. Very rarely did I felt we were in danger, even against a strong team like Sweden. We dominated in ALL the periods and controlled the puck like no other. People keep saying Canada played extremely defensive, but that's not true at all. The best defense is playing in the opposite zone and Canada did exactly that. Our offense was going circles around the opposition, but like I said, we did have a problem in finishing for some reason, but that does not mean Canada was defensive. Watch it again, you'll see it if you're able to watch without your biased glasses.

Yeah, this. Canada in Sochi was the most crushing performance I've ever seen in a best-on-best tournament.

bruins3

Feb 1, 2012
Strome. Marner. Crouse. Stephens. Konecny. Gauthier. Barzal. Senyshyn. Baillie. Bowles. Hunt. G Gauthier. Dubois. Kubel. Dalcolle. And juulsen would be a dman for sure. Need to take the best players that can put the puck in the net and the best defencemen that can keep the puck out of ours. In my opinion this wasnt done nearly as good as it could have been done for the talent there is in junior hockey in canada.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

you mean like when brent sutter didn't shake hands w/ the czech coach after their so loss a few years ago?

it goes both ways

paragon

May 5, 2010
You're stretching it. Your posts are as biased and ridiculous as moon's.

If you don't think Canada was impressive in Sochi, then I can't really take you seriously. The only thing they were missing was a finishing touch, but other than that, Canada played to almost perfection. Very rarely did I felt we were in danger, even against a strong team like Sweden. We dominated in ALL the periods and controlled the puck like no other. People keep saying Canada played extremely defensive, but that's not true at all. The best defense is playing in the opposite zone and Canada did exactly that. Our offense was going circles around the opposition, but like I said, we did have a problem in finishing for some reason, but that does not mean Canada was defensive. Watch it again, you'll see it if you're able to watch without your biased glasses.
I would never watch those again. It was hard enough not to fall asleep watching that team play even without knowing the results.

Fat Doctor

Jun 29, 2011
Virtanen had a huge hit on McDavid in a preseason game against the Oilers earlier in the year. I actually thought he looked very effective in that game. Its unfortunate that he couldn't bring that hard nosed style to the WJC without being drawn into so many penalties

Haha, thanks for the info. Nothing better than playing like a wrecking ball in meaningless games ;)

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Virtanen has a lot of maturing to do, on the mental side of the game and just in general. Physically he's capable of being an NHL player but the other part just isn't there yet. He's at his best when he can use his speed and skate through guys or hit them big to get them to cough up the puck.

Honestly his time with the Canucks this year probably hasn't been the best for his development given the status of the team and how the coach is using him. I think his confidence is low and he's trying to force himself to play a "smarter" game but it doesn't fit him. There were concerns last season about how he was being utilized on the Hitmen and just how the coach managed that team in general so I suppose management wanted to get him away from that, though it's not really been any better.

Ideally he'd be best in the AHL but we all know the CHL rules on that.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
During the game? How is that any different?

"There's something to be said about being a gracious winner and insulting opposing players doesn't really fall under that" - thepuckmonster

Game was over that point? I don't think so.

He said roughly translated: "seems like canucks are sh*tting on their pants whenever we give pressure". It was weird statement atm, but so many things with this team finland is no one really cares anymore. There was one period still left in a game, he tried to be funny I guess but it turned awkward.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Yeah so?

Who here is saying that Brent Sutter is classy?

The US trashed their hotel rooms at Nagano. How is that relevant? It isn't.

i am not defending it, i am just saying it happens everywhere

and people shouldn't get so worked up over offhand remarks, that quite often are meant in jest :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"There's something to be said about being a gracious winner and insulting opposing players doesn't really fall under that"

He said roughly translated: "seems like canucks are sh*tting on their pants whenever we give pressure". It was weird statement atm, but so many things with this team finland is no one really cares anymore

We're talking about a different comment after the game where he mentioned that a Junior teammate of Blackwood on the Finnish team had called him a sieve.

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011

stop making excuses for him. He said it, now let him own it. He's the one who will have to explain himself, not you.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
In the last last seconds of the 1st period and as well as the following 2 periods, everything that could go wrong for Canada went wrong.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
i am not defending it, i am just saying it happens everywhere

and people shouldn't get so worked up over offhand remarks, that quite often are meant in jest :)

I'm not worked up about it.

Just not a smart thing to do, that's all, particularly since a teammate of his made the comment, not him, and now it's out in the open.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Haha, thanks for the info. Nothing better than playing like a wrecking ball in meaningless games ;)

To be fair he was competing for a roster spot on the Canucks. What better way to show your effectiveness than laying out the best player on the other team. I can't be mad at him for that hit, even after his play today:laugh:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
During the game? How is that any different?

After winning game it is nothing but unrespectful, but during the intermission I think it was supposed to show confident before 3rd period (I know finns aren't usually good at this). So in my mind there is a different.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
"There's something to be said about being a gracious winner and insulting opposing players doesn't really fall under that" - thepuckmonster

He said roughly translated: "seems like canucks are sh*tting on their pants whenever we give pressure". It was weird statement atm, but so many things with this team finland is no one really cares anymore. There was one period still left in a game, he tried to be funny I guess but it turned awkward.

A guy from Team Finland said that? Well, they're young, it's the emotions getting to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->