GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startseva

Dec 30, 2012
Moscow
Suomi it's not Norway or Slovenia... you cannot do such mistakes, especially twice in a row. They closed and that's it, I dont think Canada or USA would win if the scenario of the game was the same.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Don't worry Russia. Caps will not make the play-offs and the Pens will be knocked out in the first round. Malkin and Ovechkin can play in the World Championship in May. Aka, the tourney nobody cares about.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013

Hate to say I told you so, but when you asked what the big deal with Finland was yesterday and claimed they merely were a slightly more skilled Norway... Well, well, well...

Feel bad for all you fans of Russia today, but equally happy on behalf of the eternal underdog Finland!

Finland has 11 euro players nothing to do with that

It's not about just having Euros. The Russians don't develope defenseman the way they used to. Tyutin was their 2nd best defenseman and wouldnt make either the Canadian or Swedish team. He might, and that's because I think Paul Martin stinks, make team USA.

The days of Vladimir Malakhov, Alexei Zhitnik, and Sergei Gonchar are gone.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Great defensive game by the finns and Rask.

But Russia lacks a game plan and should get a coach that plays modern hockey.

If the game was about circling around in full speed in solo raids instead of scoring goals Russia would no doubt be the best in the world .

Also Rask >>>> Varlarmov

Granlund a great player and Selanne still a fantastic player !

One game where Varlamov played behind a defense worse then the Avs defense? Good job coming to that conclusion.

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
Can anyone tell me what Ovechkin said in the interview? Must be tough to do one right after a loss like this.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
CBC crew complaining that Russians took the wrong players because of "politics", picking KHLers instead of quality NHLers. What is this, 2010? Medvedev was perhaps their best defenceman, and the Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Radulov line had a decent tournament.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
EVERYONE plays the trap against Russia. Until Team Russia coaches start to preach/teach a dump/chase game, they will never be successful.
No team game, no puck support, no secondary chances, just carry it in and hope to get some weak outside shot.

Also their puck retrieval on dump ins is atrocious. It's like the Russian coaches are still living in the past where not every country has adapted some type of North American game.

The Russians have always been OBSESSED with puck possession. They think dump ins should only be used for 5-man-unit line changes. That's why they barely go for puck retrieval on dump ins.

Trap is set up and they still try and walk through the line. Russians need an NHL coach BADLY.

Also, Bob would've stopped the 1st 2 shots, but whatever.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
this Russian team didn't really impress for the most part, as the tournament went along I didn't think they had a chance to medal let alone win gold, just not good enough fron them

First things first. There's been talk of some KHL/NHL rift among the Russian players. You can't even have that crap when you're playing for gold. When politics gets into the dressing room it's a recipe for disaster every time.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
CBC not having Rask as the 1st star is nuts (not sure if they're the ones who pick hte 3 stars, or if it's the IIHF, but still).

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
CBC crew complaining that Russians took the wrong players because of "politics", picking KHLers instead of quality NHLers. What is this, 2010? Medvedev was perhaps their best defenceman, and the Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Radulov line had a decent tournament.

Medvedev sucked, but he was still better than NHLers Voynov and Markov!!!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Ovechkin shows some class and does an interview with Friedman.

He looks like someone just died.

It is not his fault. I feel terrible for the guy.

I hope some day he actually plays for a good cohesive, well coached team.Why life hates him so much I don't know :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad