GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBC crew complaining that Russians took the wrong players because of "politics", picking KHLers instead of quality NHLers. What is this, 2010? Medvedev was perhaps their best defenceman, and the Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Radulov line had a decent tournament.

Medvedev isnt very good. Sorry. He can move the puck well but so could Mike Mottau. He's soft and if he's your PP QB, you don't have a PP QB.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
LOL, it's not a poor mix. You make a better roster. Russia has what it has.

The tactics and preparation were poor. Terrible coaching. Popov on the first line and PP.

Not the mix. You have no clue.

Yep, they got what they got which is a poor mix of players. You can't have Kovi, Ovi, Semin, Radulov which is basically the same type of player up front and a weak D and expect to medal. It was entirely predictable that there'd be zero chemistry, you'll never get chemistry between those guys.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
Russia matche up much better with the North American teams who want to run up the ice all game. Finland plays that trap and they didn't know what to do

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If we make it to the finals I think it is safe to say that after the NHL players came to the Olympics we have been the best country on the Olympic ice.

But I don't expect another upset in a row. Sweden is going to be tough to beat.

Mara

May 10, 2011
And those Finnish league players are outperforming the KHL players (Väänänen and Aaltonen).

It's actually 3 players from FEL (Kukkonen).

I can't believe this team will fight for a medal.

Pavelskismustache

Feb 19, 2014
USA
I'm nervous as heck now for my stars n stripes...this could be one of them 'black mondays' like college basketball has where all the top teams lose lol.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Russia's failure lies squarely on the shoulders of Malkin and Ovechkin. They are supposed to be 2 of the top 5 players in the world, and they did not show up for this tournament.

The coach is the biggest problem. Ridiculous "system," lack of adjustments.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
and Ovechkin proves once again you can't win with players like him. Give me Kessel over Ovechkin all day everyday

Yeah, that's exactly what he proved :shakehead

Good for Ovechkin for doing an interview, but neither Ovechkin nor Malkin played very well. The coaching wasn't good either.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
EVERYONE plays the trap against Russia. Until Team Russia coaches start to preach/teach a dump/chase game, they will never be successful.
No team game, no puck support, no secondary chances, just carry it in and hope to get some weak outside shot.

Also their puck retrieval on dump ins is atrocious. It's like the Russian coaches are still living in the past where not every country has adapted some type of North American game.

The Russians have always been OBSESSED with puck possession. They think dump ins should only be used for 5-man-unit line changes. That's why they barely go for puck retrieval on dump ins.

Trap is set up and they still try and walk through the line. Russians need an NHL coach BADLY.

Also, Bob would've stopped the 1st 2 shots, but whatever.

Yup this is right on the money.Russian coaches are still living in soviet times.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Selänne still has it. What a game from him! Congrats little brother and welcome to the semi. Another epic battle awaits. :yo:

He looks great for his age.

Nice to see so many posters feeling bad for Russia. It is sad to see such a great hockey nation coming to this.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Wait, why are people only talking about malkin and Ovi? its not like Datsyuk was the least bit better.

CAPS LOCK

Aug 10, 2005
He was much better than OV. Malkin created space for that line and got some excellent chances. Ovechkin just shot a bunch of pucks into the stands and refused to grind along the boards.

Malkin had plenty of ice time in this tournament with quality players on the PP with no results. Stop using this loss to push your anti Ovechkin agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad