GDT: Quarterfinal • Feb. 19 • Finland vs. Russia • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedning

A New Beginning
Apr 26, 2012
Selänne still has it. What a game from him! Congrats little brother and welcome to the semi. Another epic battle awaits. :yo:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
He was much better than OV. Malkin created space for that line and got some excellent chances. Ovechkin just shot a bunch of pucks into the stands and refused to grind along the boards.

No, not really. He looked like crap and didn't produce just like ovy.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Wtf is anyone really that shocked by this result. Finland is a great team only ignorant people thought or think this is a massive upset... Finland is always in at the end.

That's not true it is an upset, on paper Russia is a more skilled team.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Russia's failure lies squarely on the shoulders of Malkin and Ovechkin. They are supposed to be 2 of the top 5 players in the world, and they did not show up for this tournament.

El Dandy*

This is what happens when you're a one line team and have half of your defense be AHL caliber.

As if the KHL needed another reason to be looked at as a just another minor league.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
The play of Määttä and Vatanen make me so, so happy. The transition of our defense is complete. The torch has been passed from Timonen and Salo to them.

Kontiola and the whole fourth line was ridiculously clutch. Tuukka was Tuukka. The needed goals were made. Feels good man.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lots of selfish/lazy play by the Russians in the third, Kovalchuk being the most obvious.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Worst year ever for me. My dad died and I'm pretty young and now this. Wasn't prepared for a loss.

Anyway's Russian Coaching failed. Forcing Malkin and Ovechkin, not putting Malkin on PP1. Heartbreaking.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You can't have 9 KHL players and hope to win. KHL is a joke league. Yevgeni Medvedev couldn't make the American Hockey League he has no business on an olympic roster yet he was their 3rd or 4th best defenseman.

Sure you can. Finland has 9 KHLers, and 2 from SM-Liiga.

Just need to play a team game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After seeing this game I am re evaluating team US, I actually don't think they are all that. It'll be interesting semi's though with Sweden and Finland battling it out in one and (most likely) US Canada in the other.

I wanted the Sweden Finland game in the final but I'll take it.

Yeah...it can't be that you continue to overlook Finland or anything can it? It must be that Russia just sucks in the first place...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
and Ovechkin proves once again you can't win with players like him. Give me Kessel over Ovechkin all day everyday

....what exactly has Kessel won?

Don't get me wrong, he's been a monster so far, just a weird player to pick when Phil himself hasn't won anything.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
From Dan Rosen:

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

Malkin had to tell Bilyaletdinov to get Bobrovsky off the ice. Malkin had to tell the coach. I repeat, Malkin had to tell the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille