GDT: Quarter-final • Jan. 2 • Russia 2, Czech Republic 1 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
I am not sure how you can say that...

Canada smoked the Czechs. The Czechs took the Russians to OT.

The Russians will also be tired.

I think Canada will have the advantage. Also, with all due respect to the Russian fans, minus NYE Russia has been getting a lot of lucky breaks in the last 2 years. Those breaks have to end sometime.

They're young, they'll forget about tired as soon as they hit the ice and see the Maple Leaf emblem on the other side of the ice. They'll be pumped. We (Canada) on the other hand are unprepared as we've only had practices and not games and none in the previous round that was terribly challenging. The US made it interesting in the final period of the last, but that's it for physical preparation.

Don Hay is an excellent coach, so I have faith that he'll be able to turn any negative into a positive, but I highly doubt that we will romp over Russia because they're tired.

Ducksgo*

Game won by the refs for the Russians. Not mad, just saying facts. Hope Canada brings their another game to double digits.

If USA is out your out! Finland and Russia for the finals. Yakupov puts up a hat trick and rides the poney

desdemona

May 25, 2008
Regarding the whole Krejci/referee thing; I have no idea what the rule is for the IIHF and if it differs from the NHL follow through, but I'll tell you this:

During the Finland/Slovakia game, a Finnish player got high-sticked by his own teammate in the eye. Now, it was his own teammate, so of course there's not going to be a penalty called, but this guy was in serious pain. He lay there, in the opponents end, for quite a long time as the Finnish players had to skate around him with the puck in order to create a chance on goal.

If there is a different rule, it should change. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's real or not, but this guy deserved a whistle. And didn't someone say that unless there's an imminent scoring chance there should be a whistle? Or when your teammate touches the puck?

I've also watched a game (can't remember which, sorry) in which a follow through was called as a penalty. At the time, I thought it was a silly call.

Anywayyyyyyyyy... as others have said, despite the call/noncall, other things could've been done to prevent the goal.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
this! It is failure of two czech players. They should play not watching at refs. I would not blame refs but czech players.

I am going to have to agree. I was personally cheering for the Czechs, but the reason they lose that game is NOT the ref, it is the kid lying in the corner faking an injury. Sorry, my Czech friends, but it is true. He's not bleeding, yet he acted as though he was dead.

You can't just lie there hoping to draw a penalty. It is the mistake of a young man wanting a call that is never going to come.

It's too bad they lost that way, but I think deep down even the most ardent Czech fans know this is true.

Reminds me of the time Kovalev faked a hurt wrist when he got a little slash back when he was playing with the Habs, and then ran into someone, causing a defensive breakdown that led to an OT goal.

There are times when a guy can draw a penalty, and there are times where you just play until you hear a whistle.

In an elimination game in OT, you play until you hear a whistle. Tough lesson, kid.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
If a player is down it is man down and the ref blows the whistle.
Refs are smart enough to know fake acting jobs and embellishments.
Does not matter what team it is, man down blow the whistle.

boris4c

Quid infantes sumus.
Dec 13, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
The Russian commentators seem pretty calm when Russia scores a goal. When Canada scores its 8th goal against Denmark, the TSN commentators are much more excited than when Russia scores an OT winner for a ticket in the semifinals in one of the most exciting games I've seen in a while. :D

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
If a player is down it is man down and the ref blows the whistle.
Refs are smart enough to know fake acting jobs and embellishments.
Does not matter what team it is, man down blow the whistle.

Kid stayed down hoping the play would be whistled dead. The refs were going to blow the play dead as soon as the Czechs regained possession of the puck, which they never did.

This exact situation (player down on ice) has been consistently called the same way all tournament.

The czech should have gotten up.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I will post this again, just so someone doesnt try to pass along misinformation. Anyone can say what they want but that play should have been whistled down AND there should have been a penalty on top. The play was clearly visible to the refs and there was no excuse for them to miss it, and a game winning goal resulted. The refs really screwed up what was a good game.

you aren't reading that rule properly. Czech's did not have possession so why would it be whistled?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The NHL rulebook is very specific in mentioning this exemption, so it seems purposefully absent and thus not a part of the high sticking rule for the IIHF.

Very strange.

the IIHF rulebook explicitly states that the ref has the discretion to make or to not make a call.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Congratulations to Russia for making it to the semis.

Tough lesson for the Czech player, always play until the whistle blows.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Krejci got some issues...
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhocke...r-Krejci-after-Russia?urn=juniorhockey-wp5588
"The Russian guys are really (cocky) ... I don't know I hate Russia." By no means I expect him to like us...but WTF? is he upset about 68? :)

Before the match he also said he hates Russians and wanted to play them in the QF. Made his little dive resulting a goal even more special :laugh:

Kind of sad when an Under 20 player hates a country when he knows **** all. I might as well hate Germans because like many Russians we all lost family in ww2. Move the **** on, Sport and Politics should not mix and hating a country about something that happened before your father even had sperm cells is a joke.

I don't mind Czechs, been to Prague. It's a shame some people have old fashioned ignorant ways of thinking.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
The Russian commentators seem pretty calm when Russia scores a goal. When Canada scores its 8th goal against Denmark, the TSN commentators are much more excited than when Russia scores an OT winner for a ticket in the semifinals in one of the most exciting games I've seen in a while. :D

Were more excited against the Swiss :laugh:

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Before the match he also said he hates Russians and wanted to play them in the QF. Made his little dive resulting a goal even more special :laugh:

Kind of sad when an Under 20 player hates a country when he knows **** all. I might as well hate Germans because like many Russians we all lost family in ww2. Move the **** on, Sport and Politics should not mix and hating a country about something that happened before your father even had sperm cells is a joke.

I don't mind Czechs, been to Prague. It's a shame some people have old fashioned ignorant ways of thinking.

Well, he didn't say why he hates them. Maybe it's something different, not history. (i'm not really a russian hater, I was just pissed after the game)

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Well, he didn't say why he hates them. Maybe it's something different, not history. (i'm not really a russian hater, I was just pissed after the game)

You being upset is understandable :laugh: I am angry too when my nation loses especially if I think the Ref made the game bad.

But this stuff?
When I asked Czech defenseman Daniel Krejci if he preferred to play the Swedes or the Russians in the quarterfinals, I was unprepared for the venom of his response. He chose Russia, with the following rationale: “In my heart, I hate Russia. With all my heart.â€
The general sentiment, if not the exact phrasing was something that Krejci had in common with many of his teammates.
He had it coming, and I am glad they lost that way.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
You being upset is understandable :laugh: I am angry too when my nation loses especially if I think the Ref made the game bad.

But this stuff?

He had it coming, and I am glad they lost that way.

Everybody has right to hate whoever he wants IMO. But you are right in the rest of your post as well. And I will be glad to see Russian's ass kicked hard by Canada now after this game. That's all natural, that's how things work when people have passion about something. :nod:

svo101

Nov 8, 2011

vtoroi Irbe...k 40 godam sosvsem bashnu sorvet...esli on v 19 opuhaet...

cibtom

:(
May 27, 2006
Tampere
Well, Krejci used pretty strong words, but I think a lot of Czechs don't like Russia. But it's more about sport rivalry, it's always something more, something special, when we beat Russia in ice hockey. It's not about hating Russian people... But back to ice hockey. We played very good match, I haven't expected so close game, since the second period we've played really good. But we made a mistake in the beginning of overtime - we lost the puck in the moment when Russian player came back from penalty box - that was the first big mistake. And then, second mistake was when we stopped play after Krejci fell down on the ice. There was maybe a mistake by referees, but it's not a reason to stop playing...

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Well, Krejci used pretty strong words, but I think a lot of Czechs don't like Russia. But it's more about sport rivalry, it's always something more, something special, when we beat Russia in ice hockey. It's not about hating Russian people... But back to ice hockey. We played very good match, I haven't expected so close game, since the second period we've played really good. But we made a mistake in the beginning of overtime - we lost the puck in the moment when Russian player came back from penalty box - that was the first big mistake. And then, second mistake was when we stopped play after Krejci fell down on the ice. There was maybe a mistake by referees, but it's not a reason to stop playing...

The biggest mistake IMO was they didn't start a mass brawl after the goal. The game was lost, no need to stay out of the box anymore. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad