GDT: Quarter-final • Jan. 2 • Finland 8, Slovakia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Am I the only one impressed with Joonas Donskoi? I think he's a really solid two-way player. In the game against the Czechs, he stepped in front of a slap shot to block a shot with a 4-0 lead. He just seems to be very smart player.

Yup, he is good 2-way player. His best asset is his offensive game but he's been struggling so far this year, not putting up much points in the FEL.

Still, great player. Im pretty sure he will make the NHL someday.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Extremely disappointing game, except maybe for Granlunds. First of all horrible officiating that 5+20 call was just atrocious and killed any game Slovakia had left...

Bad defense, bad PK, bad PP for the most part and Aittokallio was pretty bad today as well. This doesn't bode well for the game against Sweden. Also at least to me it's becoming clearer and clearer that Helminen should be nowhere near the bench.

We will need to get extremely lucky to beat Sweden and Aittokallio needs to pick it up again big time... Well top4 is still a pretty good achievement here so it's not all bad.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
The Swedish commentators agreed with the Armia pick, they actually said beforehand that they want him to get it. Honestly he did play well though, pulled 2 penalties (granted took a stupid one before the other pulled one). Played well 1on1 and scored a goal so... And the only other one who could have gotten it was MiG.

Anyone from the first line should have got it. Not Armia.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
:shakehead for the reffing. I don't know if I've ever felt this awkward after a game we won. I don't think we deserved it. Or at least the other team would've deserved a fair fighting chance. The only good thing about today's game is we play against SWE tomorrow. But oh boy if we show up like this tomorrow. Respect to the SVK and best of luck to the next game.

Mara

May 10, 2011
That's great to see. As an avs fan, I've been impressed with him, although today he gave up some bad goals. I'm sure him and his teammates will be a lot sharper against Sweden.

Am I the only one impressed with Joonas Donskoi? I think he's a really solid two-way player. In the game against the Czechs, he stepped in front of a slap shot to block a shot with a 4-0 lead. He just seems to be very smart player.

Donskoi has bad balance and usually likes to hold on to the puck until he loses it. Good skater and good technique but has a long way to go.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I feel somewhat disgusted about the game. I'm glad that Pulkkinen and Granlunds had some success but our D sucked and Aitokalalutio had a bad night which i hope doesn't continue against Sweden. Refs really killed all happiness i could get from this win though.

Yup, the first time ever i think when i dont feel like jumping when we just went to semis. Thought i still believe guys would've won it anyway, but i dont want to see refs take role never.

Levi

Dec 1, 2008
Don't like that from Aittokallio. But he should be pissed on the D's though.

Really? I loved it. I would be more worried if he celebrated this win.
Atukalilo will not play another game like this.

Jere26

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks also for slovak fans, you stayed very classy, the ref blowed the end of the game with that 5 minute call. The injure - 5min rule shows that its non sense. Sad that the game ended by the ref like that, i allmost feel sorry, but I think the fault cant be the teams, but the refs thought.

Yeah, and I think Aaltonen returned to the game later on if I'm not mistaken (#15).

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Great piece of skill by the young Dano there. I've been extremely impressed by him today. Penalty killing, getting stuck in, and getting a goal.

I thought Mráz made a good play on that goal and yeah it´s nice to see Daňo get his first WJC one, he has two years left, so hopefully it´s the first one of many.

Well, what to say, I guess it was the most entertaining (obviously no the best game) that involved a team Slovakia that I have seen since the 2010 Olympics, the last 10 minutes kinda killed a little bit for me, but anyway, I think we should file a complaint, obviously it won´t help us, just so that it gets investigated and it doesn´t happen to any team in the future. Normally I have no problem with teams running up the score, but the Finnish players trying to score as many goals as possible during that PP was for some reason really pissing me off. Sorry, Finnish, fans, you sound like a classy bunch.

Thank you boys :yo: for giving us an exciting game, get over this one and get ready for the 5th place game, 5th place would still be an incredible result for us and it could be crucial for the groups next year depending on the result of the USA- SUI game...

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Back in the medal games first time since stone age but still feels like anticlimax considering how defense and Attaboykalio played.

Indian

Jan 14, 2010
Košice
Well congratz to the Finns for advancing to play against the Swedes. Good luck.

It was an interesting game, I liked our effort up front, however the defense was bad and goalies were not even on the ice I think. I hate to write this down, but would it not been for the reffing it could have been a much more better game.
Anyway, looking forward for the Czechs. ;)

Mara

May 10, 2011
Well congratz to the Finns for advancing to play against the Swedes. Good luck.

It was an interesting game, I liked our effort up front, however the defense was bad and goalies were not even on the ice I think. I hate to write this down, but would it not been for the reffing it could have been a much more better game.
Anyway, looking forward for the Czechs. ;)

It's funny that the Slovaks here show more class than some Canadian posters.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
The player of the game for Slovakia: Matúš Chovan

Even this shows how crazy this game was :laugh: It used to be fun game to watch for neutral fan :handclap:

In the end I have to say, good luck Finland, you have great team :handclap:

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Yup, he is good 2-way player. His best asset is his offensive game but he's been struggling so far this year, not putting up much points in the FEL.

Still, great player. Im pretty sure he will make the NHL someday.

Good game from him, but in that 4th goal from Slovakia he made pretty bad play, though Aittokallio wasn't sharp either.

RandomKeyStrokes*

It's funny that the Slovaks here show more class than some Canadian posters.

That's because they don't have the entitlement that comes with winning as often as Canada does.

Levi

Dec 1, 2008
Really got to hand it to the Slovaks, you've been classy all game. After this my second favorite team will be Slovakia! :)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Normally I have no problem with teams running up the score, but the Finnish players trying to score as many goals as possible during that PP was for some reason really pissing me off. Sorry, Finnish, fans, you sound like a classy bunch.
I feel for you. It's been a while since I got my head this mixed up after a game my team won with a rather safe margin, nonetheless.

Still, meh. Guess I'll take it. Despite lazy D leaving Aitokalapuikko alone more than once, our forwards had bagged in six before all that sorry stuff at the end. No way you deserve to end up losing after that. Five, maybe, but not six. Never six, goddamnit.

I still wouldn't bury Finland's final hopes either. A game like this when you "should" win but never know if you will is always tougher for a player to prepare than one you KNOW you need to be ready to do anything from the start. Our young lions were quick to form up after that alleged first game (still can't recall that happening, but people just insist) so watch out, kära grannar. We're still coming.

And best add that while I've been a "secondary fan" of Slovakia even before this game, this night just strengthened those feelings. A country that plays gritty hockey, never lets up even when the clear underdog and has some truly classy fans. It's almost like staring down a mirror.

Granin

Jul 16, 2011
Can't really feel that happy with the win. Feel sorry for the Slovaks :( I think we would have won anyway but they deserved a fair chance. Well good luck on your next game.

Our power play is really horrible. On the 1st PP unit everyone's just standing still while MiG feeds Pulkkinen over and over again. We have to get some movement there and most importantly more variations. I think MiG should try playing on the other side every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad