GDT: Quarter-final • Jan. 2 • Finland 8, Slovakia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Dec 1, 2008
I feel for you. It's been a while since I got my head this mixed up after a game my team won with a rather safe margin, nonetheless.

Still, meh. Guess I'll take it. Despite lazy D leaving Aitokalapuikko alone more than once, our forwards had bagged in six before all that sorry stuff at the end. No way you deserve to end up losing after that. Five, maybe, but not six. Never six, goddamnit.

I still wouldn't bury Finland's final hopes either. A game like this when you "should" win but never know if you will is always tougher for a player to prepare than one you KNOW you need to be ready to do anything from the start. Our young lions were quick to form up after that alleged first game (still can't recall that happening, but people just insist) so watch out, kära grannar. We're still coming.

And best add that while I've been a "secondary fan" of Slovakia even before this game, this night just strengthened those feelings. A country that plays gritty hockey, never lets up even when the clear underdog and has some truly classy fans. It's almost like staring down a mirror.

I agree, love the fact that we again are the underdogs against Sweden.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Can't really feel that happy with the win. Feel sorry for the Slovaks :( I think we would have won anyway but they deserved a fair chance. Well good luck on your next game.

Our power play is really horrible. On the 1st PP unit everyone's just standing still while MiG feeds Pulkkinen over and over again. We have to get some movement there and most importantly more variations. I think MiG should try playing on the other side every once in a while.

And more than once we had THREE(3) players waiting for the puck at the BLUE LINE! That has to be the worst possible way to play PP. :shakehead

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Well the team certainly didn't give it its all so hopefully the defence and Aitokalju will be full of energy and play solid. If things click for the most part the whole 60 min I think we have a shot at the next one against Sweden.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Also at least to me it's becoming clearer and clearer that Helminen should be nowhere near the bench.
In a way it's too bad that top4 result now sealed it means he won't be reviewed harshly. I have nothing against him but it's just seems unbelievable the he from all of the possible coaches was the absolute best choice considering his lack of experience. I guess one of the our hockey federation's "not the best, but the most suitable" appointments...

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
I feel for you. It's been a while since I got my head this mixed up after a game my team won with a rather safe margin, nonetheless.

Still, meh. Guess I'll take it. Despite lazy D leaving Aitokalapuikko alone more than once, our forwards had bagged in six before all that sorry stuff at the end. No way you deserve to end up losing after that. Five, maybe, but not six. Never six, goddamnit.

I still wouldn't bury Finland's final hopes either. A game like this when you "should" win but never know if you will is always tougher for a player to prepare than one you KNOW you need to be ready to do anything from the start. Our young lions were quick to form up after that alleged first game (still can't recall that happening, but people just insist) so watch out, kära grannar. We're still coming.

And best add that while I've been a "secondary fan" of Slovakia even before this game, this night just strengthened those feelings. A country that plays gritty hockey, never lets up even when the clear underdog and has some truly classy fans. It's almost like staring down a mirror.

You're funny man :laugh: Thanks for your support.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This could even help Naitto-kallio to play better in next games. Atleast its rightly said that "good thing the bad game came now".

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
And more than once we had THREE(3) players waiting for the puck at the BLUE LINE! That has to be the worst possible way to play PP. :shakehead

Our PP has been a mess for the whole tourny. Pulkkinen wants the puck too much. Helminen work you magic on PP please! Our changes lies in that if we want to advance to the Finals.

Mara

May 10, 2011
In a way it's too bad that top4 result now sealed it means he won't be reviewed harshly. I have nothing against him but it's just seems unbelievable the he from all of the possible coaches was the absolute best choice considering his lack of experience. I guess one of the our hockey federations "not the best, but the most suitable" appointments...

I guess they hoped Mikko Haapakoski would balance it out, with his outstanding record coaching men.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
What a horrible call
Player sees hit coming and turns... Hitting player gets tossed
Bush league

Happens in the NHL too although this was the most obvious example possible. Usually there is even a little controversy but there is just no way anyone can argue with this one.

Jere26

Jul 12, 2011
This could even help Naitto-kallio to play better in next games. Atleast its rightly said that "good thing the bad game came now".
As long as Helminen doesn't consider anything stupid like switching goalies.

Mara

May 10, 2011

Kekäläinen seems to be a master of lip-reading.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Congrats to Finland, give those swedish ****ers hell!

Also, good job to Slovakia. If you had a young Jaro Halak, things might have been different. Hold your heads high.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
They should just roll with 4 forwards on the PP with Pulu on the point since he's gonna spent time there either way.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
U guys know Tomi Kallio? Yes? Ok, nice, so if you want to spell Aittokallio right, just practice to write "Aitto" and after that remember that Finnish player "Kallio" and add his last name next to "Aitto". :yo:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Atukalilo
Attaboykalio
Aitokalapuikko
Aitorautalapio
Aitokalalutio
Atikkataulu
Aitokallio
Aitohuhulolio
Aikakonellio.
Naitto-kallio
Atokululu
Bottoms up!
And double WooHoo! Our Great Goalie Debate is over. We have our starter now.

Due to which I'd like to propose a drinking game. Take a swig every time somebody misspells his name at HFBoards.
:laugh:

kitsumo

Unregistered User
Jan 24, 2010
To sum it up. Slovaks could have easily won that game if not for the terrible play by Aaltonen and even more hideous call by the ref. And will be waiting for the suspension to Mikael Granlund for that childish and stupid kick on the player laying down on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad