OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's April 15th and there's snow on the ground. On April 15th last year it was 75 and sunny. Of course this isn't nearly as bad as the weather my uncle is getting. 76 and sunny last year. Today they're supposed to get 18-24 inches of snow, 50 mph winds and a blizzard warning.

And the waves on Lake Michigan halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.

On a side note, one of my favorite things to do in summer when my dad was still living in Manitowoc and we would go to visit him was to take inner tubes out on Lake Michigan on a windy day, get out to a sand bar and just mess around there for a little bit and then take it out about another 250 feet and ride the waves back to the sand bar if the water level was low or all the way back to shore if it was high enough.

Reactions: adsfan

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
We had snow here in Nashville on this day in 2007.

It was right before my daughter's wedding. It made for some interesting foliage in her photos, fall + spring colors combined.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's April 15th and there's snow on the ground. On April 15th last year it was 75 and sunny. Of course this isn't nearly as bad as the weather my uncle is getting. 76 and sunny last year. Today they're supposed to get 18-24 inches of snow, 50 mph winds and a blizzard warning.

And the waves on Lake Michigan halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago.

On a side note, one of my favorite things to do in summer when my dad was still living in Manitowoc and we would go to visit him was to take inner tubes out on Lake Michigan on a windy day, get out to a sand bar and just mess around there for a little bit and then take it out about another 250 feet and ride the waves back to the sand bar if the water level was low or all the way back to shore if it was high enough.

We're not expecting snow over here, but it was 80 degrees yesterday and it's expected to be below freezing tomorrow. "Welcome to the Midwest, where seasons can occur at any time they damn well please."

(And watching that video, I can't help but think "those poor birds" at the end)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I may be in minority here but I hate snow. But then again maybe that's just because I've never lived anywhere besides Nashville that's capable of getting snow. So maybe it's that. And I don't just mean this time of year when it should be warmer, I mean all the time. It's just annoying.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I may be in minority here but I hate snow. But then again maybe that's just because I've never lived anywhere besides Nashville that's capable of getting snow. So maybe it's that. And I don't just mean this time of year when it should be warmer, I mean all the time. It's just annoying.
I like one or two really good snows a year. A foot maximum (not that we've seen that any time recently). Highest snowfall I've ever seen was 3 feet in Virginia. It was fun because I was 8 years old and it was Christmas break. I didn't have to drive in it nor shovel it from our walkway nor worry if our roof would hold. Now that's the last thing I want!

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Snow is a lot more fun when you're a kid and there's a chance you would get off of school and even if you didn't, you still got to play in it. Even when we didn't have a snow day we would have snowball fights walking home from school (when you could still do that without a parent). We'd play king of the mountain, we'd go sledding. It was always so much fun. Got $20 from my uncle to stick my face in the snow for 10 seconds when we were visiting my dad's family in Manitowoc. Easiest $20 I ever made.

Of course as you get older it starts to suck. We didn't have a snow blower so you always had to make that decision on how much snow do you want to shovel? I think I set my max at like 6 inches. If we were expected to get more than that I would go out with 4 or 5 inches on the ground, shovel the driveway and sidewalk and then do a second shovel to clear the rest after it was done. Of course the driveway down by the street was the worst because the plows for whatever reason would only throw that shit on our side of the street so I always had a few snowballs and some, let's say inappropriate language ready for them.

Snow now is probably the best time for it though. The sun is higher in the sky and you don't have to wait a month or two for it to get above freezing so it melts pretty quick. We had a couple of inches a week ago and it was melted the next day.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
One time I remember we kids in the neighborhood decided we'd learn to ski off the snow covered "hills" (they were probably 4-5 foot mounds of dirt made by some construction.) We used 2 x 4's. :laugh:

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
We're not expecting snow over here, but it was 80 degrees yesterday and it's expected to be below freezing tomorrow. "Welcome to the Midwest, where seasons can occur at any time they damn well please."

I read there was a town out in OK that went from a low of 33° to a high of 101° in the same day.:help:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I read there was a town out in OK that went from a low of 33° to a high of 101° in the same day.:help:
Are you sure that wasn't someplace in Tennessee? Sounds like some of the crap we'd pull here.

So today is a sweater day. Had to pull it out of the "to be packed away" pile. At least I've learned to leave the piles accessible for awhile.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

There was a story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about how robins and other birds are getting run over on roads in Wisconsin. They are getting too weak to fly because of the snow and lack of food. Since there wasn't any grass to forage in, they are walking out onto the roads in search of seeds etc. Some people are grabbing the birds and moving them to a safer spot. People quoted in the paper are asking people to keep their bird feeders filled. One bird moved into a bird feeder!

I startled a bird in my back yard a few days ago and it flew away in slow motion. I was looking at it flying away and was wondering what was wrong. It came out from behind the bushes around my patio. I would think that there were some seeds or old yew berries back there. It has been a long and cold "spring" in Milwaukee!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Are you sure that wasn't someplace in Tennessee? Sounds like some of the crap we'd pull here.

So today is a sweater day. Had to pull it out of the "to be packed away" pile. At least I've learned to leave the piles accessible for awhile.

I always keep a sweater out here in Milwaukee. I went to Summerfest many years ago and had to buy a sweatshirt because the wind was blowing in off of Lake Michigan at night. I told my brother, who lived in Indy, to bring a jacket with him. He asked if I was kidding and I told that I wish I was. That also happened to me at a Brewers game at Miller Park, which is inland a few miles. When your teeth start chattering in the summer, you need another layer or you have to go home. It can be 80 here in the day and 45 at night.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

That is the Great Plains for you!. I was in Rapid City, SD about 7 years ago around August 1st. It was around 85 F when I arrived about 6 PM local time. I stopped at the Walmart next to I-90 to fill up my gas tank. I could see a storm to the northwest as I was filling the tank and the wind began to pick up. It looked liked something from an Indiana Jones movie. It arrived about 20 minutes later after I got to my daughters residence for the summer. When we walked out to go to dinner, it was about 60 F but with little wind. It was a 25 F drop in 20 minutes by that wind storm with no rain!

That summer it hit 110 F in Rapid City, tying the record high temperature for ANY date. My daughter was glad that her dorm had AC, which was the first question that I asked her when she told me that she had a summer job at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. Before we left for Milwaukee, we walked the 2 doors down to the school museum. She had no idea how cool it was, but her mother and I had been there about 30 years before and I went as a kid in 1967. I was disappointed that they didn't have the dinosaur that was pregnant with twins anymore. I have never seen that in any other museum in the world. They sell off items to keep the museum going. Sue the dinosaur was another one. She went to the Field Museum in Chicago.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Two days ago there was 9 inches of snow on the ground. Now there is only just patches of snow where the sun doesn't shine a lot and piles of snow along the road from the plows.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That is the Great Plains for you!. I was in Rapid City, SD about 7 years ago around August 1st. It was around 85 F when I arrived about 6 PM local time. I stopped at the Walmart next to I-90 to fill up my gas tank. I could see a storm to the northwest as I was filling the tank and the wind began to pick up. It looked liked something from an Indiana Jones movie. It arrived about 20 minutes later after I got to my daughters residence for the summer. When we walked out to go to dinner, it was about 60 F but with little wind. It was a 25 F drop in 20 minutes by that wind storm with no rain!

That summer it hit 110 F in Rapid City, tying the record high temperature for ANY date. My daughter was glad that her dorm had AC, which was the first question that I asked her when she told me that she had a summer job at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology. Before we left for Milwaukee, we walked the 2 doors down to the school museum. She had no idea how cool it was, but her mother and I had been there about 30 years before and I went as a kid in 1967. I was disappointed that they didn't have the dinosaur that was pregnant with twins anymore. I have never seen that in any other museum in the world. They sell off items to keep the museum going. Sue the dinosaur was another one. She went to the Field Museum in Chicago.
I know it's not quite the "great plains", but it's still east of the mountains so pretty flat.....Denver is crazy in the bipolar weather too. My friend from Tennessee lives there and he would say he thought Tennessee weather was unpredictable until he moved there and it's much worse. In one of my trips there one January, I flew in and it was mid 70s, then the next day it was in the 30s and snowing, then it jumped back to sunny and 60s, then the next morning when I woke up on my last day there were about 5 fresh inches of snow from overnight. I asked him if it was supposed to snow and he said no but that stuff happens all the time. The plains seem to be a crazy place.

Weather in Tennessee is certainly unpredictable at times but we don't exactly have a monopoly on that. I feel like we get really up and down weather patterns that last for at least a couple days at a time rather than going crazy on a daily basis.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I have never been to Colorado, but my brother has been to Boulder. He said it was at the foot of the Rockies. Looking on a map, I would say that the western edge of the Great Plains runs along I-25 from Cheyenne down past Pueblo. I would say that Denver is right at the edge of the Great Plains.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Two days ago there was 9 inches of snow on the ground. Now there is only just patches of snow where the sun doesn't shine a lot and piles of snow along the road from the plows.

I had 4 or 5 inches by me. But it was wet, heavy snow with some ice or freezing rain on top of it.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
A little Nashville Skyline, Blue Suede Shoes, and Runaways to get past last night's fiasco.

9sfgg9.jpg

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I always keep a sweater out here in Milwaukee. I went to Summerfest many years ago and had to buy a sweatshirt because the wind was blowing in off of Lake Michigan at night. I told my brother, who lived in Indy, to bring a jacket with him. He asked if I was kidding and I told that I wish I was. That also happened to me at a Brewers game at Miller Park, which is inland a few miles. When your teeth start chattering in the summer, you need another layer or you have to go home. It can be 80 here in the day and 45 at night.
One time I was visiting family in PA over 4th of July week and we decided to go to a baseball game one night (it's a small, minor league stadium). We were sitting there in shorts and t-shirts. Around the 3rd or 4th inning we started seeing people come in wearing jeans and hoodie sweatshirts and we were like, those people are crazy. By the 7th, 8th inning we were using napkins and programs to cover up legs and arms!

There have been a few times I've been up there and it was hot during the day and then at night I have to put the heat on in the car. In July. :pout:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Just read about the Waffle House shooting in Antioch.

Jesus Christ what's wrong with this world....

From what I understand he's still on the run. As unlikely as it is that there will be an encounter everybody needs to keep your eyes open.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
From what I understand he's still on the run. As unlikely as it is that there will be an encounter everybody needs to keep your eyes open.

Sadly he probably woke up in a ditch wondering how he got there and why he’s naked.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
There was a story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about how robins and other birds are getting run over on roads in Wisconsin. They are getting too weak to fly because of the snow and lack of food. Since there wasn't any grass to forage in, they are walking out onto the roads in search of seeds etc. Some people are grabbing the birds and moving them to a safer spot. People quoted in the paper are asking people to keep their bird feeders filled. One bird moved into a bird feeder!

I startled a bird in my back yard a few days ago and it flew away in slow motion. I was looking at it flying away and was wondering what was wrong. It came out from behind the bushes around my patio. I would think that there were some seeds or old yew berries back there. It has been a long and cold "spring" in Milwaukee!
A few years back we had two ice storms hit in one week, so everything was encased in ice for practically a week. After the second storm, we were looking out our kitchen window and noticed we had a bunch of robins on the roofs of the sheds in back. We decided to go look out the front windows, and saw robins everywhere out front too. I went out to see what was going on, and discovered they were eating the berries off of our holly bushes out front. We must've had over 50 or 60 out front. I took this picture of a bunch of them in a small maple tree.

Attachments

• 20150220_165328.jpg
    20150220_165328.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: adsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad