Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Crunch lose 4-3 on a shootout to the Baby Sens. Masin and Erne got smoked in their fights, while Gallant may get a decision for sticking up for Conacher against a much bigger opponent. Crunch go 2-5 on the power play with Conacher getting both while holding the Baby Sens to 1-8. Well, at least the power play scored not one but twice.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Unfortunate that Sosunov won't get a chance with Russia for their game against team WHL. Game 1 is in Moose Jaw Monday and that would've been a nice treat for the home fans with Howden vs Sosunov.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The Crunch maintained the level of play they have exhibited so far this season, dropping a second game to Laval, this time by the score of 5-2. Folks will argue it is still early, but many of us watching the Crunch game in and game out see some GLARING shortcomings with the current roster. The most serious immediate issue is an obvious lack of leadership on and off the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Crunch maintained the level of play they have exhibited so far this season, dropping a second game to Laval, this time by the score of 5-2. Folks will argue it is still early, but many of us watching the Crunch game in and game out see some GLARING shortcomings with the current roster. The most serious immediate issue is an obvious lack of leadership on and off the ice.

Always appreciate your notes.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

I think that's to be expected with so many guys graduating from the juniors this year. This year might be tough on you Crunch fans but next year they'll be a lot better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think that's to be expected with so many guys graduating from the juniors this year. This year might be tough on you Crunch fans but next year they'll be a lot better.

Most of the kids that came up wore a letter in juniors and several were captains too, Cirelli and Stephens. They still got Conacher and Bournival from last year's team with Condra coming back soon. They're just missing Dumont for forwards. I don't know much about the leadership qualities of McBain or Bodie but they have more AHL experience than Koekkoek and Dotchin who they replaced. We never replaced Taormina, thought that would hurt the PP and offense only which it has, didn't think it would affect leadership as well.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
All valid points. The lack of anyone on the ice taking charge in key situations and getting his fellow skaters together for a few seconds of pep talk is sorely lacking. McBain and Bodie were brought in to help offset the loss of Taormina, having posted decent numbers last season. However, when you take into consideration their plus/minus numbers against the points they put up, there are obvious issues with their defensive play.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
All valid points. The lack of anyone on the ice taking charge in key situations and getting his fellow skaters together for a few seconds of pep talk is sorely lacking. McBain and Bodie were brought in to help offset the loss of Taormina, having posted decent numbers last season. However, when you take into consideration their plus/minus numbers against the points they put up, there are obvious issues with their defensive play.

You know why they didn't bring Taormina back? He won the Eddie Shore last year and only got a two way deal. Yes it was for two years but we were losing Koekkoek and had no lefties coming up so wouldn't be blocking anybody. Don't know if because we're paying Condra 1.25 to be in Syracuse we needed to keep salary down while Bodie and McBain combined make just 25k more than Taormina alone.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
HoseEm, easy sir. I am well aware why they did not bring Taormina as well as Witkowski, and Richard back. We are stuck with what we have for now so there is little we can do but express disappointment here. The goaltending situation has not been stable either, given the money spent on that position. It has just been a very frustrating relationship reading how deep the Tampa Bay system is and then seeing how many of those supposed cant miss prospects play once they get here.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
HoseEm, easy sir. I am well aware why they did not bring Taormina as well as Witkowski, and Richard back. We are stuck with what we have for now so there is little we can do but express disappointment here. The goaltending situation has not been stable either, given the money spent on that position. It has just been a very frustrating relationship reading how deep the Tampa Bay system is and then seeing how many of those supposed cant miss prospects play once they get here.

What can't miss prospects are you talking about? Nobody in the group that just made the jump was considered can't miss. We haven't really sent you many can't miss ones because they stick with the big club if they're that good. You did get Connolly who potted 30 for you one year. Kucherov light the league on fire for his short stint. Vasilevskiy after adjusting to NA put together some nice starts. Drouin kinda sucked but his situation was weird as he didn't want to be there and Koekkoek didn't really dominate down there he played really well. The true can't miss ones didn't spend much time there and the ones who looked like it did and played pretty well.

I know it sucks the team isn't playing good but kids need time to adjust. Namestnikov wasn't that impressive his rookie year but then gave you a good 2 more after. I expect a few of those kids to have similar development where they don't impress year 1 but take off year 2. The really only disappointing players seem to be Erne and Peca. Erne seems like he has consistency issues but he also doesn't have game breaking talent, thought maybe he could turn into Panik where he disappoints you one game but can dominate the next. Peca just can't take the next step, he seems like a perfect fit for the AHL too as a small high scoring forward he just hasn't found his next gear offensively. The system is much improved from years ago but there's going to be some transition periods and this season is one of them. We aren't going to be down long like we used to be.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Fair enough. Have a nice morning.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, just want to know who we sent you that was a top prospect and played like crap there besides Drouin? Looking at 1st or 2nd round picks who played for the Crunch most did well. Like I said before Connolly had 30 and close to ppg, Kucherov killed it, Namestnikov started slow but was really good, Vasilevskiy was great, Koekkoek wasn't great but solid for 3 years, Blujus wasn't too bad, Hart sucked but should have never been signed, Drouin and Erne are the two big disappointments, DeAngelo was good at times but a headache so I can see if you had issues with him, Masin has been solid, Stephens has been good but not really scoring much and Spencer looks like a bust.

The Crunch have went to two finals since the lightning came aboard, you never went to the finals before we got there. I bet it's disappointing to go to a final then miss the playoffs the next year but as a minor league team you are going to have up and down seasons. We aren't trying to win the cup every year so we aren't signing the top AHL veteran talent, we will rely on our youth sprinkled with vets that help them grow. If the kids aren't developing well the team will suffer. We got rid of Zettler because player development took a hit, Groulx is hard to judge as last year's team was a bit veteran heavy so we haven't seen how he develops talent. He did good with some defenders in Dotchin and Thomas but forwards we haven't seen much yet and so far the forwards have been an issue this year.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The problem with the Crunch is Groulx does not have the players prepared. WAAAY too many missed assignments. Also, Leighton is bad. REAL bad. .867 S% only bests Ingram at .860 S% - Gudlevskis, Tokarski, Wilcox, and Lindback all have better save percentages in the AHL this year.

Bournival - Lynch - Conacher
Vergaeghe - Cirelli - Joseph
McGinn - Stephens - Erne
Yan - Peca - Akeson

Masin - McBain
Bodie - Cernak
Walcott - Thomas

The lines are sheit. Stinky sheit. Why is an AHL 4th line slow ass center centering two of our fastest most dangerous forwards? Vergaeghe is a Center ... why is Lynch even in the lineup at the expense of Volkov? WTF! Takes me two seconds to draw up a better lineup without even thinking about it.

McGinn - Peca - Conacher
Erne - Cirelli - Volkov
Bournival - Stephens - Joseph
Yan - Verghaeghe - Akeson

And Yan is on my sheitlist ... if he cannot be aware of his defensive responsibilities we must as well trout out Gallant out there to knock some heads.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Erik Condra for Andrew Hammond to sure up the goaltending or does Condra have a role to play going forward? Would allow us to send Ingram down so he can get more starts.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

A first round pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2016, Howden spent part of the past week working with Lightning skating consultant Barb Underhill. The reigning WHL ‘On The Run’ Player of the Week has nine goals, 13 assists and 22 points over 14 games this season.

“The Lightning have really followed my development closely and give their prospects every opportunity to grow and learn,” he noted. “Barb (Underhill) comes out this way once or twice a year to work on my skating with me and I get good feedback from guys like (Director of Amateur Scouting) Al Murray who is just down the road in Regina, so the organization has been very supportive of me since I got drafted.”

Brett Howden will be an alternate captain for Team WHL tonight.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How has Volkov looked or is he not playing?

If you ask anybody who's watched him, he's been alright still adjusting to North America and Groulx doesn't seem as fond of him as he should be. Scratched him even though he's been far from our worst forward. But if you ask the Dom he'll tell you how he's amazing and how much his stock has Rosen which should make him a 1st round pick and might be the best pick Yzerman ever made.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Nice description Hose. Volkov looked good in the preseason game here, but was very out of place the first several games. He is absolutely adjusting, but is starting to get on the score sheet for good things. His potential looks good, especially with more playing time and adding a few pounds. I am not sure of Condra's place when he comes back. He should get the "C", especially since the Crunch are playing with about six players alternating the "A"s. Wolf's post is good as well. If you look back to the posts Amerk fans made when Grouix was named Crunch coach, that description has fit his style so far to a T. We were warned, but hoped they were just missing something. Hate to admit this, but the Amerk fans were spot on. Yes, we have gone to the finals twice since the Tampa Bay-Syracuse relationship started. We have also questioned this team's heart more in the last two seasons than anytime I can remember. Perhaps the days of the old school Captain who wears his heart on his chest and does whatever it takes to help mold the team are gone for the Syracuse Crunch. If so, it is a sad day for hockey here at the War Memorial given the character of several of the players who have proudly worn the "C" for the home team in this building playing for the Stars, Blazers, Firebirds, or Crunch.

Reactions: Son of Petter

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Howden scored a goal and an assist in Team WHL's blowout but left the game in the 3rd with an injury and did not return.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nice description Hose. Volkov looked good in the preseason game here, but was very out of place the first several games. He is absolutely adjusting, but is starting to get on the score sheet for good things. His potential looks good, especially with more playing time and adding a few pounds. I am not sure of Condra's place when he comes back. He should get the "C", especially since the Crunch are playing with about six players alternating the "A"s. Wolf's post is good as well. If you look back to the posts Amerk fans made when Grouix was named Crunch coach, that description has fit his style so far to a T. We were warned, but hoped they were just missing something. Hate to admit this, but the Amerk fans were spot on. Yes, we have gone to the finals twice since the Tampa Bay-Syracuse relationship started. We have also questioned this team's heart more in the last two seasons than anytime I can remember. Perhaps the days of the old school Captain who wears his heart on his chest and does whatever it takes to help mold the team are gone for the Syracuse Crunch. If so, it is a sad day for hockey here at the War Memorial given the character of several of the players who have proudly worn the "C" for the home team in this building playing for the Stars, Blazers, Firebirds, or Crunch.
One of the things I'm worried about with Volkov - when he was up here during pre-season, he was surrounded by Russians (which makes things a lot easier, both in a comfort level and in communications). 'Cuse does not have that.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Poor Matt Spencer. Can't believe the Bolts would rather him watch hockey than play for an OHL contending team on the top D - pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad