Prospects and video game addiction

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Liljegren did not struggle this year. Marek also said this occurred 6 months to a year ago. So it sounds like this issue was on going during 2016-2017. Marek also said it was in Junior, Liljegren has only played in the AHL this year.

A lot of this generation plays video games. Look at what Laine said in an article, he said that every time theyre on the road he and Ehlers requests for an extra tv, and if they can't get one they just buy another. It doesn't mean that just because someone plays video games means that its taking over their life.

I'm telling you, Oli Joulevi fits ALL the criteria

Even the fact that Liljegren is a big gamer, and BUYS extra TV's on the road with a fellow Finn, Joulevi was his Junior D partner AND a fellow Finn, you KNOW they were hanging out,

I don't think it's Liljegren because his play has been fine,

Joulevi, on the other hand, has several bizarre and unexplained blemishes on his record

I'm telling you, at the beginning I thought it was an interesting thought, but the more I think about the more it seems there is only ONE guy who fits this mold,

I'm 99% convinced its Joulevi, if anyone else has a feasible candidate, I'm all ears

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Umm, I'm not a Flyers fan....but....are you f**king high?

The Flyers are as prominent an organization as there is in the NHL, Ed Snyder, while he was alive along with Jeremy Jacobs was one of the main NHL power brokers and Gary Bettman's puppet master.

The Flyers are an A+ team in the NHL, on a short list with the Rangers, Bruins, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit and Chicago.

The Flyers are the only team to have achieved "Original 6 status" while not actually being original six, but it's not even a matter of perception, the team PRINTS money, and prior to
Synder's death, the second most powerful organization, behind the scenes in the NHL.

You don't get more prominent than the Flyers....sorry, but go read you history, it's not like its a secret.

Ok, so hopefully it IS your prospect they are talking about. Satisfied?

Reactions: Jacob

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Considering Marek's network of people and how it's worded, it is most likely a CHL source and a 1st rounder picked between 2015 and 2017. I'll rule out anyone who played an NHL game this year.

That leaves a list of basically.

Jakub Zboril, Zach Senyshyn, Olli Juolevi, Mikey McLeod, Jake Bean, Logan Stanley, Kiefer Bellows, Dennis Cholowski, Julien Gauthier, German Rubtsov, Max Jones, Brett Howden, Sam Steel, Cody Glass, Michael Rasmussen, Owen Tippett, Gabe Vilardi, Cal Foote, Jusso Valimaki, Robert Thomas, PO Joseph, Morgan Frost, and Jokiharju. Now, maybe they mean they won't be full-time NHLers which adds people like Dylan Strome, Logan Brown, etc.

I doubt its a 2017 guy, but how many teams would be considered very prominent? Boston, Philly, and Detroit are all very prominent American clubs. Given its Sportsnet though, it could also be referring to any of the Canadian clubs.

If I had to guess, I'd guess its one of the two Bruins from 2015, but I wouldn't say it with much confidence.
Zachary senyshyn draft profile in 2015 said that his favourite thing to do was world of warcraft. Plus he sucked a lot for the past year so I wouldn't be surprised if it's him

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
Sam Steel?

Captain of the Regina Pats and Canada's second best scorer in this year's WJC. Worth remembering that the Pats lost a significant amount of talent and offence, and as a result Steel played with worse teammates compared to the last year.

Toweri 7

May 18, 2018
Turku
Just because something has been "explained" does not mean you are not being lied to, you have to look for PATTERNS of strange things happening around a player in order to make a guess in this situation,

What I'm saying is that he might be the guy being talked about but when you look at the number of games played you don't see the entire story. Only playing 38 games out of the 60 games in a season looks way worse than what actually happened. European seasons start earlier than North American seasons, players also go on international leave. He missed most of his games because:

1. The loan deal was announced on October 3rd, so obviously Juolevi missed the 10 games played before the announcement
2. He was given about a week to adjust (Missed 2 games)
3. He played for the Finnish U20s, he also went to the U20 camp before the tournament (Misses 8 games from Dec 15th to Jan 6th)

On top of those, he missed two games on Jan 27th and 30th. Before the first of those two games TPS had a game on the 26th in which the whole team played bad. So there's a whole two unexplained healthy scratches?

I don't think that there's anything particularly weird about an offensively-minded defenseman who plays a way too offensively-minded game in an offensively-minded league on an offensively-minded league not being defensively sound enough to make the step up into the NHL. He was sent to Finland because he couldn't make the jump up to the NHL and Vancouver thought that playing against men would be better experience for him than another season in London.

There's certainly a bunch of things we don't know about the guy since we are not insiders in any of the organizations Juolevi is involved with but not making the Canucks isn't all that surprising for a 19-year-old defenseman. He's just not good enough yet.

Reactions: Trilliann

Toweri 7

May 18, 2018
Turku

Even the fact that Liljegren is a big gamer, and BUYS extra TV's on the road with a fellow Finn

Liljegren is Swedish. Also it was Laine and Ehlers buying TV's on their road trips.

Joulevi was his Junior D partner AND a fellow Finn

They never played on the same hockey team, they've faced each other in international tournaments but that's not really playing on the same D-pair, man. Also only one of them is Finnish.

Attachments

• deebly goncerned.png
    deebly goncerned.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 6

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
speculating who it is is fun lol
I think think everyone knows its kasperi kapanen

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
My money is on Senyshyn.

I don't think "I really doubt he’s going to make it to the NHL" statement fits Juolevi. To me he seems a safe bet to become a NHL regular. Whether it'll be as a 1st pairing guy or a 3rd pairing guy I'm not so sure about.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'd be shocked if it's Rasmussen given how serious he always comes across. But if it is him, then he better keep on gaming if it's gonna make him play like hiw he did in the final stretch there.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
My money is on this entire story being bullshit. Just like Andrei Svechnikov actually being 27 (or whatever age). Some people will believe anything.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Even the fact that Liljegren is a big gamer, and BUYS extra TV's on the road with a fellow Finn, Joulevi was his Junior D partner AND a fellow Finn, you KNOW they were hanging out,

I don't think it's Liljegren because his play has been fine,

Joulevi, on the other hand, has several bizarre and unexplained blemishes on his record

I'm telling you, at the beginning I thought it was an interesting thought, but the more I think about the more it seems there is only ONE guy who fits this mold,

I'm 99% convinced its Joulevi, if anyone else has a feasible candidate, I'm all ears
I don't think you know who Liljegren is.

Reactions: Szechwan

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
They're still kids. like it or not

let em game

Not suggesting these kids should be out "Patrick Kaning" it around town, but when I was younger video games took a back seat to girls and sports.
If he's up all hours doing this stuff he likely does have an addiction and needs some help. I wouldn't write off his career so early of course, this can be handled and fixed.

Reactions: G F O P

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Timothy Liljegren starting to feel at home in Toronto - Sportsnet.ca

To add, Marek really sensationalized it though. People get in an out of various addictions all the time, it's hardly something to write off a career over this early, for whomever it is.

I'm not sure you understand the nature of addictions to speak of them so casually. Hobbies or side-interests seems to be what you're talking about, addictions are not just picked up and set aside when convenient - that's why they are called addictions.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I don't think you know who Liljegren is.

He was Joulevi's D partner in Junior who was drafted by Toronto this past year, No?

That's who I thought he was having not googled it to find out if I'm mistaken yet.

And if I'm wrong, well......ok,

As for the guy you were speaking with, You don't think I know much hockey, huh?

I am soooo ok with that, thanks for thinking about me :)

Well, I googled it. Not sure where I had the idea he played in Junior with Joulevi, but he did not.

Call Botch! Stop the presses! Any second Bmac is going to tweet confirmation that I had indeed thought Liljegren had played in Junior with Joulevi (And that he was Finnish!)

RED HOT SCOOP!!! This changes EVERYTHING! I hope they go easy on me on the panel tonight

"Terrible D F**Ks up!" Special collectors edition of The Hockey News to come!

(you owe me one Oli)

Last edited:

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
He was Joulevi's D partner in Junior who was drafted by Toronto this past year, No?

That's who I thought he was having not googled it to find out if I'm mistaken yet.

Nobody is going to take your opinion seriously if you refuse to do even the smallest semblance of research before posting.

No, Liljegren was not Juolevi's junior partner. He's also not Finnish.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Well, I googled it. Not sure where I had the idea he played in Junior with Joulevi, but he did not.

Call Botch! Stop the presses! Any second Bmac is going to tweet confirmation that I had indeed thought Liljegren had played in Junior with Joulevi (And that he was Finnish!)

RED HOT SCOOP!!! This changes EVERYTHING! I hope they go easy on me on the panel tonight

"Terrible D F**Ks up!" Special collectors edition of The Hockey News to come!

(you owe me one Oli)
You decided to do the research half way through your post but still posted it all anyway?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
People need to stop bringing up level of play as if it is an indication one way or the other. The quote says nothing about diminishing performance on the ice.

Deleted member 55113

I also wouldn't rule out players that have played some NHL games. The GM noted he won't MAKE it in the NHL. Playing one (or some) game(s) doesn't mean the person made the NHL.

As a matter of fact, I'd want them to play some games so they don't seem tainted and can be traded ASAP.

I still think it's Dal Colle (granted, questions over whether Islanders are considered prominent)....

Last edited by a moderator:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
My money is on this entire story being bull****. Just like Andrei Svechnikov actually being 27 (or whatever age). Some people will believe anything.

You know that other Russian taken in the first round by Buffalo a few years back, what the hell was his name? Anyway, he had the same rumor going round about him.

Also, you know the Canucks forged the number of Pavel Bure's games played in order to draft him right?

There was almost a brawl on the draft floor when they called his name because all the other G.M's knew it was bullshit, Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, and George McPhee were the guys at the podium so I guess nobody REALLY wanted things to get physical.

Anyway, my point is: Don't be so naive, not everything on the internet and T.V is the truth, in A LOT of what you are told is B.S

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
A friend of mine from Thunder Bay has a mutual friend with Marner (they played on the Knights together - Only player from Thunder Bay that played with Marner on the nights appears to be Zach Grzelewski). Apparently one night before a game this season, Marner was up playing with them until 530am. He was trash that game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A friend of mine from Thunder Bay has a mutual friend with Marner (they played on the Knights together - Only player from Thunder Bay that played with Marner on the nights appears to be Zach Grzelewski). Apparently one night before a game this season, Marner was up playing with them until 530am. He was trash that game.
NHL players live weird hours. I don't think you can try to hold them to the standards of someone who wakes up at 7am to get to work at 9am, leaves work at 5, eats at 7 and goes to bed at 10:30.

These guys build their lives around being at peak performance for 7:00 at night generally. They take daytime naps after a mid-day practice. It's a bit different for Junior players as their schedule still includes going to school. But, NHL and NBA players always keep strange hours and why I find it hilarious when the average fan or hot-take sports radio guy calls them out for being up at 4 am at a club in NYC (unless they were obviously blackout hammered). They end their workday at 10:30 or when on a western swing at the equivalent of 1:30 eastern.

Any books that delves into the lives of professional athletes such as The Game by Ken Dryden, Life on the Run by Bill Bradley or the Jordan Rules (following the 1990-91 Chicago Bulls) show that these guys keep weird hours and don't live regular lives. Jordan, arguably the greatest competitor of our generation was notorious for keeping crazy hours.

Now, that doesn't excuse staying up all night to play video games on a regular basis, if it is stopping you from having anything that resembles a consistent routine and is leading to a lack of sleep. But, it doesn't really matter if you are staying up til 5am, if you have a 11 o'clock morning skate, and then take a 2 to 3 hour nap after that before arriving to the arena at 5 to get ready for a 7 o'clock puck drop.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I'm not a Marner fan, a Leafs fan, or really follow junior hockey in Canada. I'm from Ohio. But, anyway.. I presume your just dropping the knowledge of Marner playing video games and letting us know the semi-personal story which is cool. I enjoy reading about the semi-personal or personal connections that people have since I live in rural Ohio. I don't presume this is a post that is meant to criticize Marner for playing bad 1 game.

But, yea.. Like 93Leafs mentions- they live different hours. Shoot, he could have been on a west coast trip. Most hockey players probably don't even really go to bed until 1-2 am anyways. Plus, he's 20 years old... I'm guessing many people around that age have stayed up late playing video games, hanging out with friends, etc and not super worried about a practice, meeting, work that is later that day. Plus, it's the NHL. I think quite a bit of NHL young players have had a bad game in the league at one point lol. Maybe, it had a bit of a cause to that one game. But, it's one game.

I'm a bit different, even with my nigh shift sleep schedule in that I never try to interrupt my sleep more than an hour or two due to the fact that if I don't get enough sleep I am likely to fall asleep at my job.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
So it sounds like from this thread it could be anyone except for the prospect from my favorite team, whose work ethic is second to none and my team would never draft someone who would do something like this.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
So it sounds like from this thread it could be anyone except for the prospect from my favorite team, whose work ethic is second to none and my team would never draft someone who would do something like this.

It just leads to speculation of who it is... I understand where the reporter is coming from where he doesn't want to name/single out the prospect that is struggling with the addiction and also wanting to report it... But, now we just have quite a bit of speculation on who it is. Reminds me of a similar instance with a Blue Jacket player this season.. It's human nature of curiosity to speculate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad