Prospects and video game addiction

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It has to be like a 2015 or 2016 drafted player or else we would already know who it was. (2017 is too early) It doesn't necessarily say that he is still in juniors, just that he played juniors and doesn't play in the nhl. One wild guess I thought of is dylan strome because I know he likes to play a lot of video games from some article i read, but it isn't him because he has already played in the nhl.

IMO I think these guys have the best chances of having the addiction with the bolded to be all the players that are still playing juniors.

Options from 2016:
Gauthier
Jones
Steel
Howden
Rubtsov
Mcleod
Bean
Stanley

Juolevi

2015:
senyshyn
Zboril

Canes, Ducks, TB, NJ not prominent.

Only Boston and Philly meet that criteria here.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is the main reason Kids Bust these days. I would not be supprised if halve of the upcoming 2018 NHL Draft top 60 Picks were Addicted to Games. It is damages your Brain.
If hes playing NHL it could actually be very helpful. My friends and I came to the realization that playing the game allows you to see things from another angle then you would if you were playing on skates. Being able to see how systems work from above let's you grasp how things work when you're actually out there.

However there's a difference between playing a couple hours and binging all night. Moderation is key, is doesn't matter if its alcohol, weed, pills or video games.

Reactions: TheTakedown

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My thoughts are immediately Jakub Zboril is the guy being referenced there. Fits all the criteria in terms of a 1st rounder from that timeframe, good junior player, prominent team (Bruins), and disappointing post-draft.

Also recall some rumblings back around his draft year that some teams were a bit put off by his off-ice personality/demeanor. A bit of a different cat apparently. Recall thinking it a bit peculiar that he'd list World of Warcraft as his "favourite videogame" on his NHL site draft profile (NHL, FIFA, CoD are the acceptable ones, right?). Then hearing him talking about how a big factor in him learning English was playing videogames online chatting with people and stuff.

At the time, i kinda scoffed. Didn't put much stock in it. Thought it was just a bunch of old boys club baby boomers having trouble understanding/relating to a younger generation guy who doesn't perfectly fit the mold. But then...maybe there was something to that after all. :dunno:

The other thing that makes me think that, is that Saint John had a GM shuffle right around that time, with Darrell Young "parting ways". Guys getting ushered out the door tend to be more inclined to spill beans on things like that, rather than a guy who would still have that team to run, and possibly even that player still in their organization. And Young seemed like a real talker to begin with tbh.

Of course...i think you have to take a lot of that comment with a grain of salt anyway. The notion that they probably won't play in the NHL because of this issue is really still just one man's opinion...filtered vaguely through an intermediary a year removed. A lot can change in a year with a prospect...and a Junior GM may have some deeper insight into a player, but certainly don't have ultimate say on whether they make it or not. They're just prognosticating, same as the rest. It's still just their projection...or really i'd just call it speculation from the sounds of it. The player (whoever they are) could very easily get their business in order and put this episode behind them and end up in the NHL after all. Certainly if they're as talented a high pick as they're made out to be.

Yeah, except Zboril bounced back his final year in the Q, and had his best overall season, so he doesn’t really fit the description. His dip in production during his post draft season (according to a STH I talked to) was due to the more defensive role coaches asked him to take on with Chabot and Green in house.

I heard the stories about his “demeanor”, but when I saw Zboril at the Bruin’s development camp, he appeared to be getting along great with teammates. I saw no evidence of him being a “different cat”. This past season in PRO he was good defensively, started off slowly offensively, but got better as the year went on.

If he did have a video game issue (which appears unlikely), he seems to have overcome it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I heard through the grapevine of the OHL that it is Max Jones. Weird for them to label the Ducks prominent, but London Knights are probably the most prominent OHL franchise, where Jones spent most of his career.

Reactions: ps241

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I heard through the grapevine of the OHL that it is Max Jones. Weird for them to label the Ducks prominent, but London Knights are probably the most prominent OHL franchise, where Jones spent most of his career.

Jones literally came out on twitter and said it wasnt him. There is the possibility it is him and he just doesnt know it, but i doubt it

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Or he's just lying to save face.

Could be. But if it was such a problem i highly doubt he would be playing fortnite via twitch stream. He has a ton of money on the line here and one would assume he would pack in the video games thru social media to save himself for the money he could make

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Could be. But if it was such a problem i highly doubt he would be playing fortnite via twitch stream. He has a ton of money on the line here and one would assume he would pack in the video games thru social media to save himself for the money he could make
He's on an ELC.

Whoever this prospect is, it doesn't matter if it is on twitch or not. If they don't fix the issue they won't make NHL money anyway because they'd be in the AHL. If Jeff Marek heard it, its not like the NHL team that owns whichever players rights isn't aware of it. Its not like they can get out of his contract with cause because he doesn't try to fix his video game addiction.

Although, I think this whole case is overstated. There is probably a lot more than video games holding this person back from reaching their potential.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He's on an ELC.

Whoever this prospect is, it doesn't matter if it is on twitch or not. If they don't fix the issue they won't make NHL money anyway because they'd be in the AHL. If Jeff Marek heard it, its not like the NHL team that owns whichever players rights isn't aware of it. Its not like they can get out of his contract with cause because he doesn't try to fix his video game addiction.

Although, I think this whole case is overstated. There is probably a lot more than video games holding this person back from reaching their potential.

I sorta meant in the future. But yeah i hear you. Its sad that a situation has actually come to this. I played juniors for 3 years and ripped video games for at least 2-3 hours a day. A lot of down time that people dont really understand i guess. Theres only so much time you can spend in the gym and on the ice. We crushed ping pong alot too. But other than that there really isnt much

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I sorta meant in the future. But yeah i hear you. Its sad that a situation has actually come to this. I played juniors for 3 years and ripped video games for at least 2-3 hours a day. A lot of down time that people dont really understand i guess. Theres only so much time you can spend in the gym and on the ice. We crushed ping pong alot too. But other than that there really isnt much
Puck bunnies and bars if you are in Canada. Especially London. I posted in this thread or the other one on the video game addiction earlier. People don't really get the lifestyle these guys live to be in optimum condition at 7 o'clock at night. They live very strange hours, so unless they are blackout, I really think nothing of a player being spotted at a club at 4am.

Oh, these guys play video games. I was in London for university around the time Kadri, Carlsson and Tavares were there. Kadri was out all the time, people laughed about Tavares being the home-body always gaming. But, he was by far the most serious about being a pro, and had been that way since 14. I mean, a significant portion of anyone born past 1980 are playing video games in their free-time during their adolescence and young adulthood. I guess it has more addictive qualities than other time killers like movies, books or TV shows (although, Netflix binges on a good show is pretty much crack).

Reactions: bigdog16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad