Prospects and video game addiction

blindpass

May 7, 2010
He was Joulevi's D partner in Junior who was drafted by Toronto this past year, No?

That's who I thought he was having not googled it to find out if I'm mistaken yet.

And if I'm wrong, well......ok,

As for the guy you were speaking with, You don't think I know much hockey, huh?

I am soooo ok with that, thanks for thinking about me :)

Well, I googled it. Not sure where I had the idea he played in Junior with Joulevi, but he did not.

Call Botch! Stop the presses! Any second Bmac is going to tweet confirmation that I had indeed thought Liljegren had played in Junior with Joulevi (And that he was Finnish!)

RED HOT SCOOP!!! This changes EVERYTHING! I hope they go easy on me on the panel tonight

"Terrible D F**Ks up!" Special collectors edition of The Hockey News to come!

(you owe me one Oli)

JUOlevi. If you are going to type it over and over maybe figure it out.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Didn't realize addictions were about being childish... Grown-ups can be just as addicted to video games as 10-year-olds.

They may be adults, but if they are addicted to video games to the point that it is affecting their career, they have not "grown up".

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
As a Video game addict i can totally relate to this. on the other hand i would 100% much rather have a prospect who trains hard during the day and rest and game at night than a guy who just goes out all the time, there has been studies showing that Heavy gamers are the most dedicated! Contrary to what people believe, Gaming has alot of positive, it's VERY good for the brain, Trains your eyes insanely, Fast-pace shooters makes you able to see detail around you while focusing on one spot.

OF course if the kid basicly gives up on his hockey training and weight training to game it's a different story.

my point is just that gaming brings alot of positive that people don't know about!

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As a Video game addict i can totally relate to this. on the other hand i would 100% much rather have a prospect who trains hard during the day and rest and game at night than a guy who just goes out all the time, there has been studies showing that Heavy gamers are the most dedicated! Contrary to what people believe, Gaming has alot of positive, it's VERY good for the brain, Trains your eyes insanely, Fast-pace shooters makes you able to see detail around you while focusing on one spot.

OF course if the kid basicly gives up on his hockey training and weight training to game it's a different story.

my point is just that gaming brings alot of positive that people don't know about!

This is true. I haven't played any video games for months but when I do, I find myself more centered after having spent a couple hours indulging in mindless fun murdering hookers with giant pink d***** and running people over with a virtual station wagon

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Lol its Dal Colle. I literally met him 5 years ago on Xbox live and if he wasn't on the ice he was playing COD with Justice Dundas (who he played with)

I am 100% serious

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Lol its Dal Colle. I literally met him 5 years ago on Xbox live and if he wasn't on the ice he was playing COD with Justice Dundas (who he played with)

I am 100% serious

It would make sense but how are the Isles a very prominent team? This is not the 80's anymore lol

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
These are kids that get drafted. It’s likely less an addiction problem than a lack of passion problem. It’s hard for a kid who doesn’t love hockey even if he is very good at it to understand the big picture and what he needs to do to stay successful. This is true with kids of that age in general. It’s usually something they grow out of as they age but rarely is someone tracking a college sophomore and declaring him a bust because he got a C in an engineering class he should have aced.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
This is the main reason Kids Bust these days. I would not be supprised if halve of the upcoming 2018 NHL Draft top 60 Picks were Addicted to Games. It is damages your Brain.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My thoughts are immediately Jakub Zboril is the guy being referenced there. Fits all the criteria in terms of a 1st rounder from that timeframe, good junior player, prominent team (Bruins), and disappointing post-draft.

Also recall some rumblings back around his draft year that some teams were a bit put off by his off-ice personality/demeanor. A bit of a different cat apparently. Recall thinking it a bit peculiar that he'd list World of Warcraft as his "favourite videogame" on his NHL site draft profile (NHL, FIFA, CoD are the acceptable ones, right?). Then hearing him talking about how a big factor in him learning English was playing videogames online chatting with people and stuff.

At the time, i kinda scoffed. Didn't put much stock in it. Thought it was just a bunch of old boys club baby boomers having trouble understanding/relating to a younger generation guy who doesn't perfectly fit the mold. But then...maybe there was something to that after all. :dunno:

The other thing that makes me think that, is that Saint John had a GM shuffle right around that time, with Darrell Young "parting ways". Guys getting ushered out the door tend to be more inclined to spill beans on things like that, rather than a guy who would still have that team to run, and possibly even that player still in their organization. And Young seemed like a real talker to begin with tbh.

Of course...i think you have to take a lot of that comment with a grain of salt anyway. The notion that they probably won't play in the NHL because of this issue is really still just one man's opinion...filtered vaguely through an intermediary a year removed. A lot can change in a year with a prospect...and a Junior GM may have some deeper insight into a player, but certainly don't have ultimate say on whether they make it or not. They're just prognosticating, same as the rest. It's still just their projection...or really i'd just call it speculation from the sounds of it. The player (whoever they are) could very easily get their business in order and put this episode behind them and end up in the NHL after all. Certainly if they're as talented a high pick as they're made out to be.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
My thoughts are immediately Jakub Zboril is the guy being referenced there. Fits all the criteria in terms of a 1st rounder from that timeframe, good junior player, prominent team (Bruins), and disappointing post-draft.

Also recall some rumblings back around his draft year that some teams were a bit put off by his off-ice personality/demeanor. A bit of a different cat apparently. Recall thinking it a bit peculiar that he'd list World of Warcraft as his "favourite videogame" on his NHL site draft profile (NHL, FIFA, CoD are the acceptable ones, right?). Then hearing him talking about how a big factor in him learning English was playing videogames online chatting with people and stuff.

At the time, i kinda scoffed. Didn't put much stock in it. Thought it was just a bunch of old boys club baby boomers having trouble understanding/relating to a younger generation guy who doesn't perfectly fit the mold. But then...maybe there was something to that after all. :dunno:

The other thing that makes me think that, is that Saint John had a GM shuffle right around that time, with Darrell Young "parting ways". Guys getting ushered out the door tend to be more inclined to spill beans on things like that, rather than a guy who would still have that team to run, and possibly even that player still in their organization. And Young seemed like a real talker to begin with tbh.

Of course...i think you have to take a lot of that comment with a grain of salt anyway. The notion that they probably won't play in the NHL because of this issue is really still just one man's opinion...filtered vaguely through an intermediary a year removed. A lot can change in a year with a prospect...and a Junior GM may have some deeper insight into a player, but certainly don't have ultimate say on whether they make it or not. They're just prognosticating, same as the rest. It's still just their projection...or really i'd just call it speculation from the sounds of it. The player (whoever they are) could very easily get their business in order and put this episode behind them and end up in the NHL after all. Certainly if they're as talented a high pick as they're made out to be.

u convinced me

juolevi ur off the choping block

zbor ur voted off island

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
This is the main reason Kids Bust these days. I would not be supprised if halve of the upcoming 2018 NHL Draft top 60 Picks were Addicted to Games. It is damages your Brain.

Probably not the brain itself, but it definitely screws up the body's dopamine levels and your attitude towards real life in general. You get yourself used to getting rewarded for doing nothing.

Same thing applies to internet users too I think, but maybe not to the same extent.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Probably not the brain itself, but it definitely screws up the body's dopamine levels and your attitude towards real life in general. You get yourself used to getting rewarded for doing nothing.

Same thing applies to internet users too I think, but maybe not to the same extent.

Personally I think my team shouldn't draft any internet users.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It has to be like a 2015 or 2016 drafted player or else we would already know who it was. (2017 is too early) It doesn't necessarily say that he is still in juniors, just that he played juniors and doesn't play in the nhl. One wild guess I thought of is dylan strome because I know he likes to play a lot of video games from some article i read, but it isn't him because he has already played in the nhl.

IMO I think these guys have the best chances of having the addiction with the bolded to be all the players that are still playing juniors.

Options from 2016:
Gauthier
Jones
Steel
Howden
Rubtsov
Mcleod
Bean
Stanley

Juolevi

2015:
senyshyn