Prospects and video game addiction

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Considering what they said, if he is still playing junior, the list is really small. My guess would be Rubtsov. I think Philly is a very prominent NHL team.
Um, how? Philadelphia is nowhere near what I would consider prominent or even that relevant.

Neither are the Islanders.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Um, how? Philadelphia is nowhere near what I would consider prominent or even that relevant.

Part of original expansion, first expansion team to win the cup, will participate in their 5th outdoor game since 2010 next year, had one of the leagues most iconic owners, what else are you looking for?

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Timothy Liljegren starting to feel at home in Toronto - Sportsnet.ca

To add, Marek really sensationalized it though. People get in an out of various addictions all the time, it's hardly something to write off a career over this early, for whomever it is.

You could find an article like that on every young player, honestly which young player doesn’t play video games? I think it’s more shocking if they don’t play video games.

It can’t be Liljegren cause he’s played really well for an 18 year old in the AHL, it sound like this is in the chl/whl/qmjhl

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Very curious who the player is. There are a few hints 1. Recent 1st round 2. Plays junior hockey 3. Drafted by a “prominent” nhl team. What NHL teams would be considered “prominent”? In terms of notoriety or skill level?

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
German Rubtsov (PHI) also makes sense especially given Marek’s timing with them being around Rubtsov’s team at the Memorial Cup

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
German Rubtsov (PHI) also makes sense especially given Marek’s timing with them being around Rubtsov’s team at the Memorial Cup

Marek said he heard it six months to a year ago. Rubtsov wasn’t really with Chicoutimi that long last year & then got traded this year to Acadie-Bathurst. He was dealing with injuries last year which actually delayed him from joining them after the WJC’s but he played well when in the lineup. It’s been this year where he’s been really disappointing.

So that would be my hold up. I don’t know if he would have been around a junior team long enough given that time frame to make that conclusion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Video games are fine and good way for players to waste their dead time. I remember being in London during the time Tavares was on the Knights and while certain future NHLers were out living it up and partying (Kadri and Carlson), Tavares was sort of mocked for just staying in at his billets and playing COD. But, he was also the hardest working player on the team. The other guys also worked hard but definitely enjoyed the notoriety which came with playing for the biggest team in town.

It just seems like the person being talked about has serious impulse control issues, that could be reflected in a bunch of things.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Addictive personality disorder will find something. As long as the person is getting professional help, great.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Considering Marek's network of people and how it's worded, it is most likely a CHL source and a 1st rounder picked between 2015 and 2017. I'll rule out anyone who played an NHL game this year.

That leaves a list of basically.

Jakub Zboril, Zach Senyshyn, Olli Juolevi, Mikey McLeod, Jake Bean, Logan Stanley, Kiefer Bellows, Dennis Cholowski, Julien Gauthier, German Rubtsov, Max Jones, Brett Howden, Sam Steel, Cody Glass, Michael Rasmussen, Owen Tippett, Gabe Vilardi, Cal Foote, Jusso Valimaki, Robert Thomas, PO Joseph, Morgan Frost, and Jokiharju. Now, maybe they mean they won't be full-time NHLers which adds people like Dylan Strome, Logan Brown, etc.

I doubt its a 2017 guy, but how many teams would be considered very prominent? Boston, Philly, and Detroit are all very prominent American clubs. Given its Sportsnet though, it could also be referring to any of the Canadian clubs.

If I had to guess, I'd guess its one of the two Bruins from 2015, but I wouldn't say it with much confidence.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He never said they struggled this year and they do have junior leagues in Europe too. The Leafs certainly qualify as a "very, very prominent team" (that sounds like an original-6 team).

He said it was information from 6-12 months ago, Rogle BK got a new GM within the last year, a canadian from Southern Ontario (Chris Abbott).

Ultimately it sounds like a second-hand quote that was sensationalized by Marek to get people talking about it.
Except Liljegren played primarily with the senior team in Rogle, and those teams don't have a seperate "junior GM" to the best of my knowledge.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Considering Marek's network of people and how it's worded, it is most likely a CHL source and a 1st rounder picked between 2015 and 2017. I'll rule out anyone who played an NHL game this year.

That leaves a list of basically.

Jakub Zboril, Zach Senyshyn, Olli Juolevi, Mikey McLeod, Jake Bean, Logan Stanley, Kiefer Bellows, Dennis Cholowski, Julien Gauthier, German Rubtsov, Max Jones, Brett Howden, Sam Steel, Cody Glass, Michael Rasmussen, Owen Tippett, Gabe Vilardi, Cal Foote, Jusso Valimaki, Robert Thomas, PO Joseph, Morgan Frost, and Jokiharju. Now, maybe they mean they won't be full-time NHLers which adds people like Dylan Strome, Logan Brown, etc.

I doubt its a 2017 guy, but how many teams would be considered very prominent? Boston, Philly, and Detroit are all very prominent American clubs. Given its Sportsnet though, it could also be referring to any of the Canadian clubs.

If I had to guess, I'd guess its one of the two Bruins from 2015, but I wouldn't say it with much confidence.

Not sure 15th overall classifies as high draft picks, I feel like he's talking about someone in the top 10 and likely from the OHL as his area.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure 15th overall classifies as high draft picks, I feel like he's talking about someone in the top 10 and likely from the OHL as his area.
It only says 1st round pick.

I asked someone who is well connected in junior hockey and they didn't really know, but they did suggest it might be a kid who has a well-documented incident of sleeping through and is known to also love video games (bragged about being division 1 in Fifa online in an article). Although, I don't think the Isles fit as a high-profile team.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
you mean Olli Juolevi ;)

This crossed my mind,

I thought his play at training camp last year was straight up bizarre, prompting the harsh quote from Travis Green that the Canucks IMEADIETlY suppressed, even issuing a few threats to get it out of print and the public's mind (The quote was something like: If he's going to play like that again, then he can go home to Finland right now)

I mean, I STILL don't think it makes sense, its one thing to be bad, it's another to play like.............like you've got a hangover or just don't care.

THEN there were Sami Salo's harsh comments, to paraphrase: If Joulevi ever wants to play in the NHL he better get his conditioning together,

HUH? Conditioning? First of all it didn't look like he was out of shape at camp, it looked like he didn't care, this was out of left field, this is a defenseman who had logged big minutes in the memorial cup run, that's a lot of hockey, hockey under Dale Hunter, there's NO WAY he's out of shape.

Then in Finland this year, there were unexplained healthy scratches....and good play, then healthy scratches.

NONE of this stuff has even come close to being explained, except vague allusions to "attitude" or "conditioning"

And remember, Dal Colle DOES have an NHL game to his credit correct? While Joulevi is the ONLY player in the top 10 of his draft to not play a single game.

The more I think about this the more it fits, Joulevi's story has been bizarre, to the point where the pieces don't fit.

If he's the guy....it fits

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Part of original expansion, first expansion team to win the cup, will participate in their 5th outdoor game since 2010 next year, had one of the leagues most iconic owners, what else are you looking for?
Hahahaha. Nice attempt, just list a bunch of things from the past. "First expansion team to win the Cup" is in no way relevant at all to anything today. And outdoor games aren't really that big of a deal, but whatever makes you feel better.

I'd say prominent are teams that are actually noteworthy - whether it's because of recent on-ice performance or huge media markets. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto, etc etc.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Hahahaha. Nice attempt, just list a bunch of things from the past. "First expansion team to win the Cup" is in no way relevant at all to anything today. And outdoor games aren't really that big of a deal, but whatever makes you feel better.

I'd say prominent are teams that are actually noteworthy - whether it's because of recent on-ice performance or huge media markets. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto, etc etc.

I'm not a Flyers fan by any measure, in fact they are one of my least favourite teams... I'm just not dumb enough to think that historical context has no bearing on how teams are viewed today. By your metric, Detroit is not a prominent team.

Philly is one of the oldest teams and is one of the teams that is most heavily promoted by the league regardless of success. When they have players doing well, they receive a significant amount of focus. Media continues to characterize them based on lore from 40+ years ago and they have one of the most famous team identities in league history, which is still frequently used as a reference point for how the game has changed over the years. They have made the playoffs in 42/50 seasons in the league and five of the years that they missed came consecutively in the late 80s/early 90s. In terms of making it to the post-season, they might actually be the most consistently successful team of all-time. I'd look it up to confirm, but you don't seem like the type who values facts so I figure it would be a wasted effort.

Just a tip: condescension will look much, much better on you when you stop making such weak, uninformed arguments.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia is one of the largest media markets in the US. The were listed as the 7th most valuable franchise in the league according to Forbes as of this year.

The Business Of Hockey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Philly is by far one of the most prominent teams in the league. Outside of being a major market, they are also owned by Comcast which leads to them having a large national tv presence in the United States. The only cities with comparable or bigger fan bases and profile in their respective markets are Chicago, Boston, and NYR, and keep in mind, Chicago was an afterthought in Chicago for most of the tenure under Bill Wirtz. LA is a big deal, but they play out west at 10:30, and aren't known for having a rabid fan base.

Toweri 7

May 18, 2018
Turku
Then in Finland this year, there were unexplained healthy scratches....and good play, then healthy scratches.

He played 38 games out of 60 but he only missed 2 games being scratched or nursing an undisclosed injury. He missed the first 10 or 11 games of the season because of training camp and the loan deal being worked out. Then he missed the first game or two after reporting to TPS, he was skating with injured Eric Perrin and Ilari Filppula. So either he was dealing with jet lag or jet lag and a minor injury.

Next he missed 8 games for the U20 training camp and the tournament. That leaves 2 regular season games out of 60 unexplained. Maybe he was nursing an injury or he was just scratched for some reason those 2 games.

If he had a problem in the OHL, he has dealt with it now. I don't think any coach would play a guy for 23 minutes in the playoffs if he has pulled an all-nighter.

Reactions: Trilliann

Deleted member 55113

It only says 1st round pick.

No, it also said high pick explicitly. While that's up for debate what "high" means, it does suggest in my interpretation that it's a top 10 pick.

"This guy is a good player and was a high pick – and I’m probably saying too much right there – but there’s a good chance he’s not going to make it to the NHL and his general manager said, ‘Yeah, video game addiction is bad. It’s bad with this kid.’ “

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Video games are fine and good way for players to waste their dead time. I remember being in London during the time Tavares was on the Knights and while certain future NHLers were out living it up and partying (Kadri and Carlson), Tavares was sort of mocked for just staying in at his billets and playing COD. But, he was also the hardest working player on the team. The other guys also worked hard but definitely enjoyed the notoriety which came with playing for the biggest team in town.

It just seems like the person being talked about has serious impulse control issues, that could be reflected in a bunch of things.

Yeah, dead time during the day. Staying up all night, losing sleep and not being able to perform your best the next day is a sign of addiction. What you are talking about is VERY different from what the writer is talking about.

Also, you guys are funny trying to argue which teams are prominent or not. Toronto is more prominent than Philly, no matter how you stack it. From the writer's description I'm thinking either a Canadian team or original 6 team, or maybe the Pens or someone like that. I would put Philly up there, but not in the top 8 or so. "Very, very prominent" suggests to me someone like the Leafs, Wings, Habs, etc.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

Umm, I'm not a Flyers fan....but....are you f**king high?

The Flyers are as prominent an organization as there is in the NHL, Ed Snyder, while he was alive along with Jeremy Jacobs was one of the main NHL power brokers and Gary Bettman's puppet master.

The Flyers are an A+ team in the NHL, on a short list with the Rangers, Bruins, Toronto, Montreal, Detroit and Chicago.

The Flyers are the only team to have achieved "Original 6 status" while not actually being original six, but it's not even a matter of perception, the team PRINTS money, and prior to
Synder's death, the second most powerful organization, behind the scenes in the NHL.

You don't get more prominent than the Flyers....sorry, but go read you history, it's not like its a secret.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
He played 38 games out of 60 but he only missed 2 games being scratched or nursing an undisclosed injury. He missed the first 10 or 11 games of the season because of training camp and the loan deal being worked out. Then he missed the first game or two after reporting to TPS, he was skating with injured Eric Perrin and Ilari Filppula. So either he was dealing with jet lag or jet lag and a minor injury.

Next he missed 8 games for the U20 training camp and the tournament. That leaves 2 regular season games out of 60 unexplained. Maybe he was nursing an injury or he was just scratched for some reason those 2 games.

If he had a problem in the OHL, he has dealt with it now. I don't think any coach would play a guy for 23 minutes in the playoffs if he has pulled an all-nighter.

Just because something has been "explained" does not mean you are not being lied to, you have to look for PATTERNS of strange things happening around a player in order to make a guess in this situation,

And the fact is, what we saw at training camp last year was BIZZARE, I've never seen anything like that before......there WAS a reason for it too, that stuff doesn't just happen.

There is a lot about Joulevi that we either don't know or have been lied to about, that much is certain, whether he is the "Video-game bandit" or not, I have no idea, I just know that there has been something VERY strange about his behavior, and this is the type of thing that would make all the pieces fit.

Is there honestly another players who's pattern of behavior and surprising lack of NHL play would fit this mold as well as Joulevi?

If there is, I'd honestly like to know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad