Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
14 games into the season and Greenway has yet to play, anyone know whats going on? I'm pretty sure he's healthy...

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
CRAZY SAVE BY WOLL

It sounds like he's starting to turn it around after a rough start to the season...

I still really like this pick, and he has elite potential IMO....

One can make an argument Woll > Oettinger who was the first goaltender selected (in the 1st round none-the-less) in the 2017 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Man, Garret Sparks has been on a tear... I don't know why he's undervalued around here and why people don't think he has NHL potential... Sparks is leading the AHL in GAA and SV%!

Plus he's only 24... You know who else is 24? Leivo... Soshnikov... Calvin Pickard is 25....

It kind of seems like all of a sudden goaltending is no longer a weakness for us...

We will have Andersen for the next several years with Sparks, Pickard, Woll and Scott all providing quality depth options for the next few years down the road.

Reactions: Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Man, Garret Sparks has been on a tear... I don't know why he's undervalued around here and why people don't think he has NHL potential... Sparks is leading the AHL in GAA and SV%!

Plus he's only 24... You know who else is 24? Leivo... Soshnikov... Calvin Pickard is 25....

It kind of seems like all of a sudden goaltending is no longer a weakness for us...

We will have Andersen for the next several years with Sparks, Pickard, Woll and Scott all providing quality depth options for the next few years down the road.
I think there should be a distinction between NHL potential and starter potential. I think Sparks is making a case he could be a backup, but I still am quite hesitant he has NHL starter in him, nevermind quality NHL starter. Not to take anything away from Sparks, he's turning heads this year for sure!

Reactions: Walshy7 and AppsSyl

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think there should be a distinction between NHL potential and starter potential. I think Sparks is making a case he could be a backup, but I still am quite hesitant he has NHL starter in him, nevermind quality NHL starter. Not to take anything away from Sparks, he's turning heads this year for sure!

Fair enough, but with Andersen as our starter... a guy like Sparks is perfect for us. I think he could fill in for 5-10 games no problem if Andersen goes down with an injury.

Reactions: DarkKnight

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

He’s undervalued by me because I can’t stop thinking about how he was sacrificed to the tank gods in order to finish last and win the Matthews lottery.

He was absolutely atrocious down the stretch that year and it was glorious. He really was the tank commander and Babs threw him in there knowing it was almost a guaranteed loss with him in net

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He’s undervalued by me because I can’t stop thinking about how he was sacrificed to the tank gods in order to finish last and win the Matthews lottery.

He was absolutely atrocious down the stretch that year and it was glorious. He really was the tank commander and Babs threw him in there knowing it was almost a guaranteed loss with him in net

He was a 22 year old kid who was playing on a horrible team... He's got better in the last couple years, and I think would be better prepared this time around for the NHL...

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He was a 22 year old kid who was playing on a horrible team... He's got better in the last couple years, and I think would be better prepared this time around for the NHL...
You could be right. I can’t deny his stats this year are extremely impressive, but the Leafs re-signing McBackup and picking up Pickard lend me to believe the leafs brass doesn’t have a whole lot of confidence in him for whatever reason

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You could be right. I can’t deny his stats this year are extremely impressive, but the Leafs re-signing McBackup and picking up Pickard lend me to believe the leafs brass doesn’t have a whole lot of confidence in him for whatever reason

I think this is more of a case of the Leafs seeing a younger guy with some talent and potential with the Leafs having the chance to strengthen their depth in that position.

I believe with Sparks playing as well as his has and the addition of Pickard that the Leafs actually have some solid goaltending depth. Probably in the middle of the pack if you were to compare it league-wide which is better than it has been in previous years

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Fair enough, but with Andersen as our starter... a guy like Sparks is perfect for us. I think he could fill in for 5-10 games no problem if Andersen goes down with an injury.

he played similar last season yet they still signed mcbackup for those ~15-20 games our backup plays. Of course he can fill in for 5-10 in case of injury. He has also never even played a starters role in ECHL or AHL seasons (even combined) 38 games in a season is his best effort. He was 0.922sv% after 31 games last year and they still signed mcbackup. They don't see him as anything, (yet) I guess they want to see something change in his game that isn't related to stats, because his stats are pretty good last year and to start this

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
he played similar last season yet they still signed mcbackup for those ~15-20 games our backup plays. Of course he can fill in for 5-10 in case of injury. He has also never even played a starters role in ECHL or AHL seasons (even combined) 38 games in a season is his best effort. He was 0.922sv% after 31 games last year and they still signed mcbackup. They don't see him as anything, (yet) I guess they want to see something change in his game that isn't related to stats, because his stats are pretty good last year and to start this

You do know we re-signed Sparks for 2 years this off-season too, right? Using your logic, our Leafs brass must see something in him too then otherwise they'd let him go like Bibeau. I'd argue the Leafs signed McE because we need the depth... it also allows Sparks to play games and develop furthur with the Marlies. For development, do you think its best to play 10-15 games in the NHL or 50+ games in the AHL?

Sparks has been our #1 goalie for the Marlies the last couple of years... Reason why he didn't play more games was due to injury or being on the Leaf's roster... He's also favoured right now over our recently aqcuired Pickard...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You do know we re-signed Sparks for 2 years this off-season too, right? Using your logic, our Leafs brass must see something in him too then otherwise they'd let him go like Bibeau. I'd argue the Leafs signed McE because we need the depth... it also allows Sparks to play games and develop furthur with the Marlies. For development, do you think its best to play 10-15 games in the NHL or 50+ games in the AHL?

Sparks has been our #1 goalie for the Marlies the last couple of years... Reason why he didn't play more games was due to injury or being on the Leaf's roster... He's also favoured right now over our recently aqcuired Pickard...

for a 24 yr old with a max of 38 games in a season (36 of which were ECHL games) he is suddenly going to play 50+, sure he could be he has never done it yer. If he ever plays for the leafs he will be playing 10-15 games behind Andersen anyway whats the difference between now and next year? Pickard is 10 months older than sparks. Injuries are a legit reason for lack of games but in 5 seasons he cant manage then maybe he is injury prone

Last years avalanche team were far worse than the leafs season they used sparks yet he still managed .904% playing a legit starters workload in the NHL (50 games), he played 20 games year before and posted .922%. Meanwhile sparks managed a .893% when he got his shot on in the NHL on a far better defensively team than avalanche last year. But you are right sparks is favored now as AHL starter

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

The Marlies need a good goalie! Winning environment starts at the ahl level to be carried through as they move up.
Sparks is an AHL all-star goalie. Glad he's on board. Will he ever be able to make the jump to NHL? Only time will tell bit I'm skeptical.

Reactions: bobermay

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
for a 24 yr old with a max of 38 games in a season (36 of which were ECHL games) he is suddenly going to play 50+, sure he could be he has never done it yer. If he ever plays for the leafs he will be playing 10-15 games behind Andersen anyway whats the difference between now and next year? Pickard is 10 months older than sparks. Injuries are a legit reason for lack of games but in 5 seasons he cant manage then maybe he is injury prone

Last years avalanche team were far worse than the leafs season they used sparks yet he still managed .904% playing a legit starters workload in the NHL (50 games), he played 20 games year before and posted .922%. Meanwhile sparks managed a .893% when he got his shot on in the NHL on a far better defensively team than avalanche last year. But you are right sparks is favored now as AHL starter

All I'm saying is Sparks is a nice piece for our organization and doesn't get the respect I think he deserves around here. That is all. I don't even know what you're arguing... I mean, 38 games to 50 isn't that big of a jump... Also, last year Pickard would have been 2 years older than Sparks was 2 years ago... You're comparing a 22 YO goalie with NO NHL experience to a 24 YO goalie with 25+ games NHL experience...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
All I'm saying is Sparks is a nice piece for our organization and doesn't get the respect I think he deserves around here. That is all. I don't even know what you're arguing... I mean, 38 games to 50 isn't that big of a jump... Also, last year Pickard would have been 2 years older than Sparks was 2 years ago... You're comparing a 22 YO goalie with NO NHL experience to a 24 YO goalie with 25+ games NHL experience...

what? sparks is 24 and Pickard is 25 somehow there is a 2 year age gap? its 10 months. Im comparing similar aged goalies here

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
what? sparks is 24 and Pickard is 25 somehow there is a 2 year age gap? its 10 months. Im comparing similar aged goalies here

Pickard with Colorado last year was 24 Years old... Sparks with Toronto 2 years ago was 22 years old. 24-22 = 2 years :nod:

You were comparing their NHL seasons on last-place teams.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Pickard with Colorado last year was 24 Years old... Sparks with Toronto 2 years ago was 22 years old. 24-22 = 2 years :nod:

You were comparing their NHL seasons on last-place teams.

ah ok I see your point but sparks was 23 and pickard 24 in the respective seasons we are talking about.

edit no actually he was 22 my bad

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

He is great at the AHL level but I dont know how well his poor rebound control and awkward style can translate to the NHL. See him as a good career backup but unfortunately nothing more. He seems a lot like Reimer in that he always has to make the 2nd effort since he cant control the puck off the initial shot.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He is great at the AHL level but I dont know how well his poor rebound control and awkward style can translate to the NHL. See him as a good career backup but unfortunately nothing more. He seems a lot like Reimer in that he always has to make the 2nd effort since he can control the puck off the initial shot.
One difference between sparks and Reimer is Reimer was good at closing the holes where as sparks really suffered with that in his nhl season. If he gets better in that part he may well become a good backup like Reimer.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He is great at the AHL level but I dont know how well his poor rebound control and awkward style can translate to the NHL. See him as a good career backup but unfortunately nothing more. He seems a lot like Reimer in that he always has to make the 2nd effort since he can control the puck off the initial shot.

He needs to have a chance to play in front of a competitive ML team. His last stint in the NHL the team finished 30th but he posted a shut-out with that awful team. He's very athletic with a good save percentage and is a very dedicated hard-working pro. He deserves a shot at some point. Hasek and Thomas were also strange stylistically. You just never know with goalies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He needs to have a chance to play in front of a competitive ML team. His last stint in the NHL the team finished 30th but he posted a shut-out with that awful team. He's very athletic with a good save percentage and is a very dedicated hard-working pro. He deserves a shot at some point. Hasek and Thomas were also strange stylistically. You just never know with goalies.

that team was excellent defensively but had 0 offense. That's all people would say after a game "well we kept it interesting" or "if we could score we would have won this game".

But I do agree he deserves another shot eventually

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Oh I 100% agree he deserves a shot, I just dont have high hopes. His rebound control is a huge concern though and he is old enough that it wont get much better. Those 2nd efforts do not work as well in the NHL as they do in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad