Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I've been a huge Sparks fan dating back to his Guelph Storm days. Met him a few times and he's such a humble and hard working guy. He knew he was a long shot to make it to the NHL back in those days but he said he was just going to keep his head down and keep grinding. This was during a time when he was going through a rough stretch in the O. I almost got emotional watching him in his Leafs debut and I was over the moon to watch him get a shutout. Oh and we all remember this beauty too. Honestly, back in the day when the Leafs organisation had a few not so easy going folks on the team, Garret was the most genuine and humble kid and he showed in this clip.

My two most favourite Leafs prospects are Connor Brown and Garret Sparks. Both share many high quality traits and I wholeheartedly believe when Sparksy gets his shot in the big leagues, he is not going to disappoint. Good old Chicago kid too! He and Brownie have never had anything handed to them and it truly makes me proud to watch them come up through the ranks on their own merit. Kudos to the team too for supporting and believing in these guys and putting them in positions to succeed. Don't think I could've said the same thing 10 years ago.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
All I'm saying is Sparks is a nice piece for our organization and doesn't get the respect I think he deserves around here. That is all. I don't even know what you're arguing... I mean, 38 games to 50 isn't that big of a jump... Also, last year Pickard would have been 2 years older than Sparks was 2 years ago... You're comparing a 22 YO goalie with NO NHL experience to a 24 YO goalie with 25+ games NHL experience...

Yep, I'm a fan of Sparks too and think it's definitely unfair to hold that brief NHL stint against him. You throw any not-ready prospect into that position and they're going to fail.

Personally I think he's the #2 goalie in the organization (with Pickard very close behind).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep, I'm a fan of Sparks too and think it's definitely unfair to hold that brief NHL stint against him. You throw any not-ready prospect into that position and they're going to fail.

Personally I think he's the #2 goalie in the organization (with Pickard very close behind).

Woll is easily ahead for me, but we know goalies are volatile and he has a longer way to the NHL so could drop off still

edit: I guess technically not in the org but they'd be crazy not to sign him out of the NCAA

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really hope Liljegren is back today with the game being on TV. While there are other guys I'm interested in seeing the development, he's the main reason to watch the Marlies for me.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
On last think on the Sparks convo... It seems like some people don't remember how good Spark's first few games were with the Leafs too...

His first 6 NHL starts
3-3
0.920 SV% and 2.15GAA

After that, he lost confidence behind a crappy team and didn't perform well the rest of the way. Even then, his 6-9-1 isn't THAT bad...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Sparks looked like a fish out of water after his first couple starts with the leafs, he greatly helped the "tank" though :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Woll is easily ahead for me, but we know goalies are volatile and he has a longer way to the NHL so could drop off still

edit: I guess technically not in the org but they'd be crazy not to sign him out of the NCAA

I like Woll too, could be a potential starter.

See him having a higher ceiling than sparks but is less developed so far

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Nice to see kap didn't dwell on the fact he got sent down. A goal and an assist so far! He is definitely ready for the nhl but who to take out for him?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nice to see kap didn't dwell on the fact he got sent down. A goal and an assist so far! He is definitely ready for the nhl but who to take out for him?

Next years UFA class, either traded away for D help, or just not resigned... We should have four spots open for next year, with JvR, Bozak, Komarov and Moore on expiring contracts. These guys are only going to be injury replacements until then.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Next years UFA class, either traded away for D help, or just not resigned... We should have four spots open for next year, with JvR, Bozak, Komarov and Moore on expiring contracts. These guys are only going to be injury replacements until then.

Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel (if brought back), Soshnikov, Gauthier, Aaltonen, Johnsson all vying for those spots too. Doesn't include Grundstrom, Korshkov, maybe Timashov/Moore, etc. nor UFA's.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leivo, Kapanen, Rychel (if brought back), Soshnikov, Gauthier, Aaltonen, Johnsson all vying for those spots too. Doesn't include Grundstrom, Korshkov, maybe Timashov/Moore, etc. nor UFA's.

No doubt, there will be in a battle for whatever spots open up. Will Nylander move to C?

I'd think Rychel is currently playing himself out of the picture, though he could turn that around. But, it's up to these guys to fight their way on...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No doubt, there will be in a battle for whatever spots open up. Will Nylander move to C?

I'd think Rychel is currently playing himself out of the picture, though he could turn that around. But, it's up to these guys to fight their way on...

I would think that Nylander to center is almost a certainty next year. He and Matthews get a ton of work together on the PP, and I expect that to continue, but Nylander on the 3rd line with Kadri and Matthews up the middle on the other two (plus guys like Marleau, Marner, Kapanen, Leivo, Hyman, Brown, etc. flanking them) would be something special.

Reactions: LeafChief

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On last think on the Sparks convo... It seems like some people don't remember how good Spark's first few games were with the Leafs too...

His first 6 NHL starts
3-3
0.920 SV% and 2.15GAA

After that, he lost confidence behind a crappy team and didn't perform well the rest of the way. Even then, his 6-9-1 isn't THAT bad...
Tbh his record and stats were good but there were lots of shots that went through him but misses the net or caught just a piece if him and missed the net. His fatal stats and record was the proper indication of his play.
Again he was young and maybe he will get to Reimer level but he was not good to my eye at all in that nhl stint.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Let's not forget Marchment either..

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
cant wait til kappy gets his chance with the leafs, a lot of talent and even more speed, hes ready

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Ian Scott is off to a solid start to the season this year, I remember a lot of people were upset we picked him because of his terrible sv % the previous two years.

He was a top 10 pick in the WHL draft, hopefully he's starting to put everything together.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ian Scott is off to a solid start to the season this year, I remember a lot of people were upset we picked him because of his terrible sv % the previous two years.

He was a top 10 pick in the WHL draft, hopefully he's starting to put everything together.

.920 behind that team is more than solid. If you get over a .900 in any CHL league, that is already quite impressive. .920 is WJC territory, and that's usually behind good defensive teams. The Raiders aren't even a playoff caliber team and he's still putting up top numbers.

Doubt he gets U20 consideration, but he damn well might if that keeps up.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
.920 behind that team is more than solid. If you get over a .900 in any CHL league, that is already quite impressive. .920 is WJC territory, and that's usually behind good defensive teams. The Raiders aren't even a playoff caliber team and he's still putting up top numbers.

Who are the goalies in consideration for WJC?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

who are the likely goalies this year? i know scott is very unlikely but i cant think of who will be the goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad