Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Should also mention that opening up spots could mean a contract for someone like Marchment who would otherwise not get it since we'd go up to 50 contracts...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This isn't his first good season thorough, his play in the AHL has been above average for several seasons now.

yet management went out a resigned Mcelhinney and traded for pickard. If his play was above average for several seasons could of just used sparks and not loaned out Kaskisuo if management were just looking at numbers of course

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
yet management went out a resigned Mcelhinney and traded for pickard. If his play was above average for several seasons could of just used sparks and not loaned out Kaskisuo if management were just looking at numbers of course
I have to agree with you. Imo right now sparks is a young drew McIntyre, great ago goalie but just not quite NHL level. He is still young and might be able to take that next step but now the question is will he get a chance?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

And Sparks has outplayed Pickard this season, and personally, I think resigning McBackup was management's biggest mistake this offseason.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
And Sparks has outplayed Pickard this season, and personally, I think resigning McBackup was management's biggest mistake this offseason.

Pretty sure you complained about the Marleau signing daily all summer long saying all kinds of "ridiculous" things lol

• too old
  • too slow
  • will be injured
  • etc

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In the nhl pickard has outplayed Sparks who do you think babs picks? The one who has the experience 1st is my bet

Though Pickards NHL numbers last season weren't exactly stellar though.

With that said, I have zero attachment to any goalie on the Marlies (or Leafs for that matter) just want the best man to shine through.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Though Pickards NHL numbers last season weren't exactly stellar though.

With that said, I have zero attachment to any goalie on the Marlies (or Leafs for that matter) just want the best man to shine through.

Oh for sure. I don’t think we have a pro goalie that will amount to anything in terms of starter. I have big hopes for woll and Scott is a little bit intriguing

Reactions: Menzinger

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Meh, the leafs don't care about money, and it's low enough it can be completely buried in the AHL. The only real negative is the contract limit concern which isn't a huge concern. But we'll need 2 AHL goalies next year anyway and given all our signed goalies for 2018-19 require waivers(Kaskisuo is RFA), worst case say we keep 1 guy up next year and backup, say Pickard, and put Sparks and McBackup on waivers and if they both clear they're the AHL tandem. Maybe we extend Kaskisuo as well but I'm not sure we will.

Given all the times teams temporarily need a goalie, wouldn't shock me if we could get something for 1 of the 4 extras, even if it's a conditional 7th, we got a 7th for Enroth after all. Might be worth the contract spot in the meantime just for that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Pretty sure you complained about the Marleau signing daily all summer long saying all kinds of "ridiculous" things lol

• too old
  • too slow
  • will be injured
  • etc

I ***** hated it and still do

He is old, it's is one year to long, for to much and Brown is on the 4th line when everyone is fit which is dumb

I can categorically say I never called him slow or an injury risk, that's all you

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
What are the odds that we sign Dakota Joshua this year? He may honestly be our best C prospect. I liked Brooks better, but he looks small, weak and slow. Smart player but physically outmatched in every way. Joshua is a 6'3" 200lbs Playmaking Center who is producing well in the NCAA

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Any update that you can share? A quick google led to nothing.

Don't know how serious it is but he had to be helped off the ice. Confirmed knee injury but no other updates as of now. Looked like he fell awkwardly after finishing a check.

Reactions: meefer

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Toronto Marlies Week in Review: November 16 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

>>>> Copied and pasted from the link above.

Player News

Nikita Soshnikov recoded a goal and an assist, extending his point streak to four games (3-1-4). His call-up to the Leafs may be as much to do with the clause in the contract as anything, but there is no doubt his outstanding play in the AHL deserved to be rewarded.
Miro Aaltonen makes a lot intelligent plays in the offensive zone but he doesn’t seem to be fully reaping the rewards of those yet. A pair of assists this week takes his season tally to seven points in 14 games.
– The Ben Smith scoring train doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon.
Two goals and three points in the last two outings puts him at a point-per-game pace through 15 games. He’s currently eighth in AHL scoring.
– In a 33-save performance from Garret Sparks on Friday, the goaltender also recorded an assist on the team’s fourth goal. Sparks now owns a 7-2-0 record and his .944 save percentage leads all AHL goaltenders.
Calvin Pickard wasn’t especially overworked in his victory but made some big saves when required of him. He’s now 3-2-0 on the season with a .918 save percentage.
Martin Marincin tallied twice — his first goals in a Marlies uniform. He’s become a bit of an offensive threat on the blue line for Toronto on the blue line, and his first goal this week was skillfully finished. The defenseman has accrued six points (2-4-6) in 10 games since being sent down to the AHL.
Kerby Rychel picked up a goal — his first since opening weekend — but he’s still in the midst of an offensive slump with just one point in the last six games and five total on the year.
Kasperi Kapanen scored on Saturday in what was his first action since rejoining the Marlies. That’s his fourth AHL goal in seven games.
Dmytro Timashov had his point streak end at four games (2-3-5) but his one assist this week was his 10th point of the season.
Calle Rosen added a pair of assists to take his totally to five points in eight games.
Yet to record his first AHL goal, it wasn’t for a lack of trying throughout the road-trip — defenseman put 21 shots on net over the six games.
Justin Holl registered his first multi-point haul of the season with a pair of assists vs. Binghamton. He’s also yet to find the net this year and has found offense difficult to come by early on with five points in his first 14 appearances.
Andreas Johnsson is the fifth Marlies player to hit the double figure mark in points with an assist on Friday. That was followed by a tying goal which broke Binghamton’s resistance in Saturday’s come-from-behind win. He also added assist on Friday.
Timothy Liljegren did not dress for either game and is considered day-to-day with an upper body ailment.
Mason Marchment has been suspended for a retaliatory cross-check on Viktor Loov and will miss a pair of games. Marchment was likely given further discipline because Loov was injured on the play.
Jeremy Bracco played in consecutive games for the first time this season. With the recent transaction involving Soshnikov, the rookie could find himself with more playing time in the coming weeks.
Eric Fehr has been loaned to San Diego Gulls but has yet to suit up for his new team as of the time of writing.
Martins Dzierkals was officially added to the Marlies roster before being reassigned to the Orlando Solar Bears. There’s been no sight of the winger since a promising pre-season showing, and I can only assume he suffered an injury of some kind.
Frederik Gauthier rejoined the Marlies to make room for the addition of Soshnikov to the big-club roster.
Kasimir Kaskisuo registered yet another defeat for Chicago Wolves but he isn’t receiving much in the way of goal support. Despite a 1-4 record with the Wolves, Kaskisuo has posted a .923 save percentage.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
all these implying Sosh is only up because of his clause, He has been one of the better marlie forwards so far this season and babcock loves him. Without the clause id bet he would be up soon anyway.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think the Leafs could have looked for another backup in the offseason, but I would have felt it irresponsible to slot Sparks in this season. He's shown more this season, so there is some evolution of thought here, but man I wouldn't have had much confidence if Lou didn't have another option going into this year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think the Leafs could have looked for another backup in the offseason, but I would have felt it irresponsible to slot Sparks in this season. He's shown more this season, so there is some evolution of thought here, but man I wouldn't have had much confidence if Lou didn't have another option going into this year.

I think they tried hard to sign Condon but obviously failed, too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad