Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Our top scorer on the Marlies is ranked 41 on the AHL scoring list, Mr Johnsson, as Babs has pointed out on many occasions the Leafs depth at the centre ice position is Weak. Now that's Depth.

Leafs have #1 and #2 and possibly #3 center locked up, you are worried about the #3 and #4 center spot? we have trade/UFA/prospect options.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Our top scorer on the Marlies is ranked 41 on the AHL scoring list, Mr Johnsson, as Babs has pointed out on many occasions the Leafs depth at the centre ice position is Weak. Now that's Depth.
You sponsor HF to troll? Now that's sad.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

How are they looking defensively?

Has Kapanen/Johnsson missed any games so far?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How are they looking defensively?

Has Kapanen/Johnsson missed any games so far?

Well they are easily the best GAA/GM team in the AHL. Like no contest. Mix between top goaltending and some pretty good defense.

Forwards are not that bad either. It's just very spread out because we do not have one scoring line like most other teams do. We have 3 and our 4th line does a heck of a lot too.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Well they are easily the best GAA/GM team in the AHL. Like no contest. Mix between top goaltending and some pretty good defense.

Forwards are not that bad either. It's just very spread out because we do not have one scoring line like most other teams do. We have 3 and our 4th line does a heck of a lot too.

But somehow overlooked by FreeBird?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marlies up 1-0 at the first intermission

Rychel with the goal, Smith and Holl with the assists

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I think the Marlies are the best team in the AHL, especially considering our team is not full of AHL vets with no future in the NHL. Many of the top guys on this team are prospects.

And it's that depth that FreeBird is whining about that is allowing that to happen. Nylander isn't there, Seth Griffith isn't there driving the bus, they don't have a TJ Brennan there dominating.
They are 4 lines deep, have 7 or 8 solid dmen, and 2 good goalies there right now, and like you said with prospects leading the way.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
3-2
Marlies win
Smith Rychel and Aaltonen with the goals

I know people did not like Smith in the NHL, but he is actually a pretty good player. Very good in the AHL, and he has shown he can play in the NHL too. I can see a team giving him that chance this offseason, like they did with guys like Froese.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Brooks has 2A through 19GP, safe to say the hype train was a bit much. However, with time he will still become a good player imo, very smart. If you look around the league, his transition and offensive numbers aren't much different than many Rookies just breaking into the league.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Brooks has 2A through 19GP, safe to say the hype train was a bit much. However, with time he will still become a good player imo, very smart. If you look around the league, his transition and offensive numbers aren't much different than many Rookies just breaking into the league.
Was there a lot of hype around him? I mean he was an overager playing on a very good junior line. I would say Sam Steel had considerably more hype playing on that line. People were talking about him potentially replacing Getzlaf. He's come back down to earth this year as well.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Marlies up 1-0 at the first intermission

Rychel with the goal, Smith and Holl with the assists

After a very slow start, Rychel has managed to put up an impressive 11 points in his last 8 games. Seems to be playing with either Smith and/or Altonnen a lot of late, so maybe that has helped?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I know people did not like Smith in the NHL, but he is actually a pretty good player. Very good in the AHL, and he has shown he can play in the NHL too. I can see a team giving him that chance this offseason, like they did with guys like Froese.

I know I wasn't happy about the Leafs re-signing Smith because it meant they were using a protection spot on Martin in the expansion draft (and because I'd rather see the Leafs use a younger prospect on the 4th line than a replacement-level player), but the fact is in the AHL, Smith is has been performing at a 1st line level for a few years now, and I don't mind using 1 SPC on a top-line AHL vet forward that can help the kids who are turning pro. I also would be ok with re-signing him at the end of this season if he's ok with probably not getting back to the NHL any time soon.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Was there a lot of hype around him? I mean he was an overager playing on a very good junior line. I would say Sam Steel had considerably more hype playing on that line. People were talking about him potentially replacing Getzlaf. He's come back down to earth this year as well.

Button suggested Brooks’s would be a reason to trade nylander, I don’t think he meant he’s as good as nylander but he will make it so nylander will be less missed.

Edit: should be noted I very much disagree with button and also think brooks was very overrated in jnr

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Button suggested Brooks’s would be a reason to trade nylander, I don’t think he meant he’s as good as nylander but he will make it so nylander will be less missed.

In terms of leafs prospects, Button's opinions shouldnt be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad