Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hello! I'm curios what the outlook is on Rinat Valiev these days? I liked his game at the World Juniors a few years ago and the following season he played 10 games in the NHL. But no more looks with the big club since, and this season he's only played 14 games with just one assist. Should have the skillset for more, so what's going on?

He has had a bunch of injuries in the last 2 years, its hard to measure where his game is at, now.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Hello! I'm curios what the outlook is on Rinat Valiev these days? I liked his game at the World Juniors a few years ago and the following season he played 10 games in the NHL. But no more looks with the big club since, and this season he's only played 14 games with just one assist. Should have the skillset for more, so what's going on?

As with some of our picks he just isn't getting it done, not much consistency with our Marlies, they score a couple of goals then they do nothing the next couple of weeks, if they can't produce at the AHL level how will they do at the NHL level. As Babs say's if they play and produce they don't come out if not their in the press box.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Want to see that proof Duke, not that I don't believe you just want to see it.
He asked on the prospects board 'What's Korshkov's contract situation like?' just yesterday.. So if he's that out of the loop on that part of Korshkov's situation, yeah don't believe it until proof given.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Marincin up to the Leafs, Dermott injured last night, and Liljegren loaned to Sweden for WJC.... I wonder what lineup the Marlies will have on D this afternoon.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marincin up to the Leafs, Dermott injured last night, and Liljegren loaned to Sweden for WJC.... I wonder what lineup the Marlies will have on D this afternoon.

valiev LoVerde
Rosen Paliotta (must be an ECHL call-up)
Nielsen Holl

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
valiev LoVerde
Rosen Paliotta (must be an ECHL call-up)
Nielsen Holl

Paliotta has been on the Marlies the entire year, he was just the 9th defenseman. With few injuries or call ups and a stacked defense, why would he get in?

I am sure the Marlies will call up someone like Cleland or Jardine (not that either are amazing) or maybe get Valleau (since he's probably better) to be depth though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Paliotta has been on the Marlies the entire year, he was just the 9th defenseman. With few injuries or call ups and a stacked defense, why would he get in?

I am sure the Marlies will call up someone like Cleland or Jardine (not that either are amazing) or maybe get Valleau (since he's probably better) to be depth though.

Why's he sitting on his thumbs in the AHL when he could have been getting minutes in the ECHL?

Not that it matters I've never even heard of that dude

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Here's the proof:

Posted it on twitter, so I could easily post it here and would prefer to delete it when a few of you have seen

Sweet, I can't wait to see him on NA ice fighting with Kapanen Leivo Soshnikov Johnsson and Grundstrom fighting for an NHL job

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Me aswell, he should be in contention for a spot almost immediately

I think it's more likely he gets one year on the Marlies first, but who knows. There's just a lot of people going for not too many jobs.

I feel like he and Grundstrom will be key guys on the Marlies next year and then will make the jump the year after.

Reactions: Duke16

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Here's the proof:

Posted it on twitter, so I could easily post it here and would prefer to delete it when a few of you have seen

Jeez my bad, surprised he would give out that information when it hasn't been released to public, if it was to be reported on he might get a call from Leafs mgmt on not releasing that stuff.

But yeah barring a top notch camp where they can't keep him off, I see him getting big minutes in the AHL next year.

If we assume the top 3 kids & Kadri are the core, curious to see who gets moved out out of Brown/Leivo/Johnsson/Kapanen/Bracco/Korshkov/Grundstrom in the next 2 years. Gotta bet on Marleau getting traded after next season to open up a top 9 spot & cap space. God I hope Hyman doesn't keep his top 9 spot over one of these kids too.

Think I've kind of written off Bracco unintentionally because Marner fills his role, but hey maybe he is good enough to become a Gaudreau-lite.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Neilsen was benched in the 3rd period. If there is one thing Keefe has over Babcock, its that he recognizes weak play of players better.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I can see the Leafs using Nielsen as a trade chip at the TDL for a rental. He still is pretty valuable, and it's hard to see a future in Toronto for him with Rosen, Dermott, Borgman, etc. all there. It's just really crowded.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Dzierkals was called up to the Marlins and played the last couple games. How has he looked in those games? Opinions?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Anyone else at the game today? There was a scrum in the warmup, seemed like Lemieux was in the middle of it. Anyone see what happened?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It was nothing. Clune and Lemieux. Two pests going at it.

Marlies were not very organized against the one other team that is really good in the AHL. Hutchinson is probably the best AHL goalie, even though Sparks and Pickard are not far behind, and Manitoba was just ready to go both games and we were not. Mind you, we did not have some of our top guys available, especially on defense, but we could only score 2 goals. He's great, but we should be able to do better than that.

Valiev played well today though. For the most part. Got an assist and was involved in some good rushes.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Thanks.

Not much to speak about from this game, agreed, not a good showing by the Marlies. They didn’t connect on a 5-3 PP early in the third at 2-1, and that was the game. Had some breakdowns you wouldn’t expect of them, what can you say, poor weekend for them. Smith was buzzing a bit, Pickard was fine but they’d have needed him to steal the game the way they played in front of him, and he didn’t. Team loss. Good team, bad game.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I’ll chuck in on the plus side that this was my kids first Marlie game and they loved it, they do a good job at Ricoch for the next generation, despite the loss.

And they also know that Dad does not like Brandon Lemieux’s Dad, he wasn’t a nice player lol. I’m doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad