Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Speaking of this development program, let's see how it is going so far. It started in the 2014-2015 season I believe, so this would be it's 4th year.

2014-2015: Mickey Lang, Denver Manderson, Brett Findlay, Patrick Watling, Brady Vail, Brendan Mikkelson, Blake Kessel, Stefan Della Rovere, Carson McMillan, Byron Froese, Cal Heeter, Bryce Aneloski.

Most of these guys did not last more than a year and found themselves on the Solar Bears, however Brendan Mikkelson was a good add for a year and had a bit of upside, but he fulfilled his job and moved on. Watling and Vail were promising prospects with a bit of upside, but sadly did not turn into much. The two names that really stick out are Findlay and Froese. Froese has played almost a full year in the NHL and is really the poster child as of right now. Nobody has come close in the 4 years as he has, and has really blossomed from an ECHLer to a depth NHLer or even NHL 4C. He was huge for the Marlies and decent for the Leafs. Findlay also turned into a pretty good role player for the Marlies, and went from ECHLer to solid AHLer, as he is now in Stockton.

2015-2016: TJ Foster, Erik Bradford, Matt Rupert, Jack Rodewald, Chris Clapperton, Brenden Miller, Rob Madore, Rich Clune, Zach Bell, Justin Holl, Max Nicastro, Justin Johnson, Eric Faille, James Martin.

A group consisting of a lot more prospects than before. Most did not turn into more than decent or good ECHLers, but some of them got some AHL games. Holl and Clune were, and still are, key Marlies players and the cream of this crop for us. Miller looked really good in the two games he got last year, but now he's doing pretty well in the VHL in Russia, so good for him. Could be a KHLer by next year and who knows after that? Rodewald was good in the ECHL, but never had a shot on the Marlies. He did go to Ottawa's AHL team and impressed enough to earn an ELC, so kudos to him. He's even played some NHL games, and is one of Belleville's more formidable players to play against, so good on the Leafs for spotting the talent.

2016-2017: David Kolomatis, John Kurtz, Ty Stanton, Shane Conacher, Tony Cameranesi, Willie Corrin, Chase Witala, Mason Marchment, Nikolas Brouillard, Colin Smith, Marc-Andre Cliche, Cason Hohmann, Daniel Maggio, Jon Jutzi, Jeff Glass, William Wrenn, Rylan Schwartz, Eric Baier, Taylor Doherty, Tylor Spink.

Even more names here. Mason Marchment is most recent successful candidate. I was impressed with what Cameranesi did with the Marlies and I am surprised we did not bring him back, but he's doing well in the ECHL with another team now and I hope he can work his way up. I can see him making the NHL some day. The rest mostly did not turn out, or were just brought in for AHL depth and had no expectations.

2017-2018: J.J. Piccinich, Josh Winquist, Jean Dupuy, Max Novak, Michael Paliotta, Matias Cleland, Kristian Pospisil, Martins Dzierkals, Sam Jardine, Alex Gudbranson, MacKenzie Skapski, Jeff King.

This is the first year the Marlies really started to be selective with their forwards. All of them look good. Winquist, Dupuy and Novak were all already a little bit older, but established AHLers who are now in the ECHL and really the little bit of talent they've got down there. Piccinich, Pospisil and Dzierkals look good enough for the AHL honestly. Gudbranson and Paliotta have hardly played, but they are not terrible depth options. Paliotta actually has some NHL upside left or at least could be another Holl, while Gudbranson could be an AHL regular at some point. Not too bad either way. King, Cleland and Jardine have been crap in the ECHL. Jardine is doing a lot worse than expected, and I am sure they just wanted him for depth rather than a youth investment. Hasn't really worked out. King was young (96'), but he was only a 'meh' offensive defenseman in the OHL and was almost certainly destined for ECHL mediocrity at best. Turns out he was worse than that. Cleland was a good NCAAer, so it was worth seeing him in the ECHL, but he did not turn out well either... Not that you expect many to turn out.

I like where the Marlies have been trending. In the next few years, the Leafs could have the first true two-tiered pro development system, and the Solar Bears could operate similarly to AA in baseball. The next step I would like to see is if they can get some more guys like Piccinich and Dzierkals. Guys who are not quite worth an ELC, but still have a lot of talent, especially if we drafted them or otherwise had a good look at them. Walker and Desrocher would have been good guys to look at, and maybe Bobylev, Nolan Vesey, Pierre Engvall and Korostelev could be in the next round. The Leafs have drafted some raw talent, some which may require an extended look beyond our rights (Mattinen, Gordeev, etc.), and those would be ideal candidates for us to get on AHL deals (or guys like Marchment and Cleland, who looked good coming out of their respective leagues). Make the Solar Bears full of young talent with upside or strong AHL depth like Winquist, etc. rather than career ECHLers or low upside prospects.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Don't forget that Johnsson is also close to 2 years older than Kapanen as well. Nonetheless I'm beginning to view Kapanen as possible trade fodder. As the NHL sits right now even with the departure of all of Bozak, JVR and Komarov (I'm betting on 2 of 3 re-signing), the Leafs don't actually need to force Kapanen or any current Marlie into the lineup. There are currently 2 legit NHL forwards regularly in the press box plus innumerable off season possibilities for fully cooked veteran reinforcements wanting to join a young team on the upswing.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I have different view from Black Mirror regarding the UFA signings. I really can't see Bozak, JVR and Komarov being Leafs next year. Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year or next. It will be time player development wise and cap wise to get NHL looks for Leivo, Soshnikov Johnson, Aaltonen, Kapanen or maybe even a short term UFA.
The ECHL very rarely is feeder system to the NHL. There are a couple of guys would could stick long term in the AHL, but to depend on the ECHL ever been difference makers in the NHL, is unlikely.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have different view from Black Mirror regarding the UFA signings. I really can't see Bozak, JVR and Komarov being Leafs next year. Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year or next. It will be time player development wise and cap wise to get NHL looks for Leivo, Soshnikov Johnson, Aaltonen, Kapanen or maybe even a short term UFA.
The ECHL very rarely is feeder system to the NHL. There are a couple of guys would could stick long term in the AHL, but to depend on the ECHL ever been difference makers in the NHL, is unlikely.

That's sort of the disagreement. They definitely can. This year seems a little more rough considering our defensive pairings though I admit. I don't understand why anyone doesn't think they don't have a chance this year or even next year though. It's time to see this team as a cup contender and they should be.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
That's sort of the disagreement. They definitely can. This year seems a little more rough considering our defensive pairings though I admit. I don't understand why anyone doesn't think they don't have a chance this year or even next year though. It's time to see this team as a cup contender and they should be.
I see us as having a chance but we're definitely not in the top contender level, which is the only level I'd want to trade the number of assets the UFAs are worth for said UFAs, so it's the exact same as not selling them.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Don't forget that Johnsson is also close to 2 years older than Kapanen as well. Nonetheless I'm beginning to view Kapanen as possible trade fodder. As the NHL sits right now even with the departure of all of Bozak, JVR and Komarov (I'm betting on 2 of 3 re-signing), the Leafs don't actually need to force Kapanen or any current Marlie into the lineup. There are currently 2 legit NHL forwards regularly in the press box plus innumerable off season possibilities for fully cooked veteran reinforcements wanting to join a young team on the upswing.

Personally I think it's a bit of a foolish strategy to deal our young depth and re-sign our aging depth players.
Leo and Bozak both appear to have already lost a step, so if either is re-signed I would be pretty disappointed.

Also, imo it's not wise to overpay vet ufa options when we have great depth in the AHL.

Reactions: Menzinger

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Kapanen has a much higher ceiling than the two guys you are talking about(Leivo and Sosh), and he's arguably as good as them right now.

If there's a specific, higher-end target that they want to trade for, then they'll probably have to include Kapanen as part of a package, but I certainly don't see them shopping him out just for other assets.

And the Leafs don't really need anything other than a top-pairing defenseman, so that option is pretty limited.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kapanen has a much higher ceiling than the two guys you are talking about(Leivo and Sosh), and he's arguably as good as them right now.

If there's a specific, higher-end target that they want to trade for, then they'll probably have to include Kapanen as part of a package, but I certainly don't see them shopping him out just for other assets.

And the Leafs don't really need anything other than a top-pairing defenseman, so that option is pretty limited.
Kap is better than both guys, and he would have beat them out for jobs if not for waiver considerations. I feel like Kap is stagnating this year, he proved he belonged and yet at rest now he is an injury call up who sits. Tough.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the thing I cant get my head around is, Sosh plays because he PK's while leivo PP's and scores. Kapanen does both things better than them. Kap is better at PK than sosh and his speed is a huge difference maker on a pk including more possible shortys with that speed. He is better offensively than Leivo but has never been given a chance with any player with some semblance of skill. You could trade Leivo and Sosh and replace what they bring with 1 21yr old player

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
the thing I cant get my head around is, Sosh plays because he PK's while leivo PP's and scores. Kapanen does both things better than them. Kap is better at PK than sosh and his speed is a huge difference maker on a pk including more possible shortys with that speed. He is better offensively than Leivo but has never been given a chance with any player with some semblance of skill. You could trade Leivo and Sosh and replace what they bring with 1 21yr old player
Think you're underrating Leivo's PP skill, he's one of the best on the team on the PP. But Kapanen is great on the PK and would be a mainstay on iy if he got regular minutes

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it's pure business at this point Walshy. Contract situations trump everything atm.
Sosh's injury history concerns me and I don't know if we keep him around just because of that.
Leivo? Will he be our perennial extra forward?
I agree Kapanen could and should replace both and when Grundstrom makes the NHL full time more bodies will have to leave.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Think you're underrating Leivo's PP skill, he's one of the best on the team on the PP. But Kapanen is great on the PK and would be a mainstay on iy if he got regular minutes
Best on which team: Marlies of leafs?
If we are talking the marlies last year Griffith was imo the best. The year before it was Nylander.
If we are talking the leafs now there are a few ahead of him also

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Best on which team: Marlies of leafs?
If we are talking the marlies last year Griffith was imo the best. The year before it was Nylander.
If we are talking the leafs now there are a few ahead of him also
"One of the best".. I'd say Marner/JVR/Nylander ahead of Leivo, maybe tied with Matthews, on PP.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

I like Kappy, I don't have much use for Sosh, but if you deal Leivo and Sosh, then our 4 vet UFAs walk this summer, you have a bunch of holes to fill with not as many bodies to fill them.
Yes Johnsson, Grundstrom, etc. Would still be here, but I don't want guys just handed jobs due to lack of NHL depth.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like Kappy, I don't have much use for Sosh, but if you deal Leivo and Sosh, then our 4 vet UFAs walk this summer, you have a bunch of holes to fill with not as many bodies to fill them.
Yes Johnsson, Grundstrom, etc. Would still be here, but I don't want guys just handed jobs due to lack of NHL depth.

yeah sure you are right here, but sosh is a injury prone energy player and leivo is a forward who can score a bit no doubt, both those types are available in UFA for not a lot of cash (usually) but we have enough forwards who should be pushing for a spot on the marlies that they may create their own battle for spots.

WE are losing komarov, bozak and JVR

we have Leivo, Kapanen who could be used in JVR's role wont get you 30-30 but will provide scoring and defensive play that I think makes it a wash. The one that misses out takes Komarov's role so those 2 get spots with Grundstrom,Johnsson, Aaltonen, Rychel as depth on the wing.

bozak is a little tougher to replace Nylander or Marleau (maybe aaltonen here too), being the only possible replacements as a scoring line C and then a johnsson would likely earn a wing spot. Moore is 100% replaced by the goat simplest move they need to make the goat isn't learning anymore and offence isn't going to come he is a 4C and we should use him next yr

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Brown

Seems like a simple lineup to make, too bad Babcock's will be nothing like it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The big question mark with Kapanen is how he’ll fair offensively if/when he gets some extended prime usage ona scoring line.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Personally I think it's a bit of a foolish strategy to deal our young depth and re-sign our aging depth players.
Leo and Bozak both appear to have already lost a step, so if either is re-signed I would be pretty disappointed.

Also, imo it's not wise to overpay vet ufa options when we have great depth in

the AHL.

They don't have any one in the system that can replace JVR or Bozak, the so called Depth is a fallacy made up by over zealous fans, the day they won the lottery was the day the rebuild was over. And the prospect pool is indicative of this.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The big question mark with Kapanen is how he’ll fair offensively if/when he gets some extended prime usage ona scoring line.

With the lack of Pass first Centre's in the organization his chances along with some of the present Leafs that play Wing are in peril long term of reaching their potential.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They don't have any one in the system that can replace JVR or Bozak, the so called Depth is a fallacy made up by over zealous fans, the day they won the lottery was the day the rebuild was over. And the prospect pool is indicative of this.

How many teams can replace JVR easily through their system? At least the Leafs have a lot of NHL level forwards that can step in and help soften that blow.

Bozak can be replaced by Nylander on the main roster, center depth should be addressed but the team has plenty of depth on the wings, defence and goaltending.

Try harder Freebird, you can do this!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
How many teams can replace JVR easily through their system? At least the Leafs have a lot of NHL level forwards that can step in and help soften that blow.

Bozak can be replaced by Nylander on the main roster, center depth should be addressed but the team has plenty of depth on the wings, defence and goaltending.

Go easy on him. He is having a tough time dealing with his dreadful Habs.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

But no legit Prospects, depth but not quality just quantities, of small replicas, not an Ehlers or Jack Hockey's in the bunch. Not a prospect in the CHL, College, and just a bunch of Smurfs on the Marlies. Europe another Russian winger who can't even make the B squad for his country.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But no legit Prospects, depth but not quality just quantities, of small replicas, not an Ehlers or Jack Hockey's in the bunch. Not a prospect in the CHL, College, and just a bunch of Smurfs on the Marlies. Europe another Russian winger who can't even make the B squad for his country.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this though, the Marlies have a good team that’s being driven by young guys who’ll likely end up in the NHL. Looks like depth to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad