Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
In terms of leafs prospects, Button's opinions shouldnt be taken seriously.
I agree. His scathing critique of Kapanen was ridiculous (with an irrelevant Colby Armstrong piling on). Button is out of touch if he thinks an overager who is literally 5 days younger than Willy could come close to replacing him. Brooks was always a project, he was drafted after his D + 2 season and while I do think he has a shot of one day putting it together, he was never a sure thing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree. His scathing critique of Kapanen was ridiculous (with an irrelevant Colby Armstrong piling on). Button is out of touch if he thinks an overager who is literally 5 days younger than Willy could come close to replacing him. Brooks was always a project, he was drafted after his D + 2 season and while I do think he has a shot of one day putting it together, he was never a sure thing.

Button and Dredger also tried to claim early last season that if the Leafs could sign Jimmy Vesey they should then trade Nylander.

They’re absurd

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Used to like Button, but more and more he's developing that old man "get off my lawn" demeanour. He's actually insulting on Leafs Lunch the way he freaks out on Andi.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't think they would either, but they already have Gaudreau so Tkachuk is a bigger piece of their puzzle than Marner would be.

Tkachuk is already a pretty impactful NHL player, would look real nice beside Matthews.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I wonder what the plans are for a guy like Nic Mattinen. His offense has boomed this year on a weak team, his skating is alright and most importantly, he is a huge RHD. He is a pretty good 2-way guy in the OHL and his game has even more room to grow if his skating improves.

The 2016 Draft is looking good for the Leafs. Out of 11 picks, only Greenway, Bobylev, Walker and Chebykin appear to be nobodies. We've got 7 guys (Matthews, Korshkov, Grumdstrom, Woll, Brooks, Middleton and Mattinen) atleast look to be worth working with. Walkers gone but even Chebykin has some good skills, but he and Bobylev aren't making much of an impact as 20 year olds in the VHL, whereas a guy like Kara (4th round 2017) is almost PPG down there.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Was at the Marlies game today.

Not a terrific showing overall. They put the puck on net a lot but there weren’t many dangerous chances. Mostly perimeter offense.

Bracco was the best Marlie easily. He made several excellent passes and scored the lone goal.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

Bracco gets rewarded at the end with a goal, could have had more points if Gauthier and Aaltonen hadn't been stopped point blank by Hutchinson. Regardless its really encouraging to see him creating lots of chances.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Bracco gets rewarded at the end with a goal, could have had more points if Gauthier and Aaltonen hadn't been stopped point blank by Hutchinson. Regardless its really encouraging to see him creating lots of chances.

Thx for posting the highlights. Bracco did look good :)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Bracco is starting to look really comfortable.

One would have to think that he's going to be a regular in the Marlies lineup moving forward.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Marner is neither a Marlie or a prospect and we do not need another Marner thread. If you want to talk about Marner, take it to the Marner thread. If you can't formulate a sentence but hate Marner, just don't post at all.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bracco is starting to look really comfortable.

One would have to think that he's going to be a regular in the Marlies lineup moving forward.

I think a lot of folks who weren’t high on the kid before now are going to start to change their minds. His play has been fantastic - I also think he has the highest offensive potential of any of the Leafs current prospects

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Hello! I'm curios what the outlook is on Rinat Valiev these days? I liked his game at the World Juniors a few years ago and the following season he played 10 games in the NHL. But no more looks with the big club since, and this season he's only played 14 games with just one assist. Should have the skillset for more, so what's going on?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hello! I'm curios what the outlook is on Rinat Valiev these days? I liked his game at the World Juniors a few years ago and the following season he played 10 games in the NHL. But no more looks with the big club since, and this season he's only played 14 games with just one assist. Should have the skillset for more, so what's going on?

Injuries and he kind of just sucks. I did not even like him much two years ago when everyone thought he was great. Had low hockey IQ IMO, despite some good skill.

I think he could be a good trade chip if the Marlies want to do a depth swap of sort. I threw him in a deal with Kaskisuo to get Fucale and Carr from Montreal (before Carr exploded in the NHL recently). The Leafs could just trade him to open up a contract spot at this point, if not just let him go after this year.

With Marincin, Dermott, and Liljegren away from the lineup right now though, this is a good chance for him to shine. Should be able to get some good ES, PP and PK minutes if he is proves himself. I really hope he does; it would be nice for him to show up enough for the Leafs to attract some potential interest in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad