Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hmmm... I think Johnsson probably deserves it before Kapanen, no?
flip a coin, I think Kapanen is higher on the prospect depth chart so he gets the call just because he's next man up, Johnsson's been good too. We have a lot of depth for sure and the logjam is a byproduct

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Things Martin presence does that you dont see.
  • stops teams from targeting, running, intimidating our big 3 and our soft players all game long.

I don't remember that happening during the Hurricanes game when Martin was healthy scratched

But sure let's pretend that someone won't do something nefarious because Martin is sitting on his ass on the bench

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
as much as I like leivo babcock very much does not, move him on keep sosh in the pressbox and Robert's your father's brother

Think you are exaggerating a bit here. When healthy we have 10 top 9 fwds.
Moore has solidified his spot lately, and is a PKer, and we all know how how Babs and Lou feel about Martin.

It sucks for Leivo, but barring injuries he's in a no win situation.

I'd love to see:
Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Moore - Brown

As I think Leivo is one of our best players for thinking the game close to the same speed of Matthews.
And that 4th line would be a pretty tenacious group.
But I know chances of it happening are pretty well slim to none.

Reactions: sommervr

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't remember that happening during the Hurricanes game when Martin was healthy scratched

But sure let's pretend that someone won't do something nefarious because Martin is sitting on his ass on the bench

lol ...

Tonight for example .... If the flyers start running Willie and Mitch, Martin just has to say, you guys better stop it or I will run Provorov, Giroux, Patrick, etc as much as possible, they would stop.

Martin isnt there just to match up with the other teams thug and drop the gloves.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
lol ...

Tonight for example .... If the flyers start running Willie and Mitch, Martin just has to say, you guys better stop it or I will run Provorov, Giroux, Patrick, etc as much as possible, they would stop.

Martin isnt there just to match up with the other teams thug and drop the gloves.

Anybody can threaten to run the other teams skill players and if Martin isn't on the ice there's **** all he can do about it anyway

Running skill guys doesn't require any special ability, anybody can do that

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
lol ...

Think we are all aware what Marron brings to the table, and I really like Martin, but if we playing a team that isn't overly physical, I don't think it would hurt to put Leivo (or Kappy atm) in for him and create a 4th line that could really take advantage of mismatches.
Leivo - Moore - Kappy could be a pretty dangerous 4th line.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hmmm... I think Johnsson probably deserves it before Kapanen, no?

Kapanen has NHL experience - and some on the biggest stage to boot - so I think he's still our top winger recall choice. I think Johnsson's next in line after Kap though and I like his skillset and believe he should do just fine at the NHL level once he makes it.

Reactions: Barilko14

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Anybody can threaten to run the other teams skill players and if Martin isn't on the ice there's **** all he can do about it anyway

Running skill guys doesn't require any special ability, anybody can do that

You dont understand ...

Think we are all aware what Marron brings to the table, and I really like Martin, but if we playing a team that isn't overly physical, I don't think it would hurt to put Leivo (or Kappy atm) in for him and create a 4th line that could really take advantage of mismatches.
Leivo - Moore - Kappy could be a pretty dangerous 4th line.

I think Ballcock prefers to give the Matthews, Kari, bozo line as much minutes as possible and keep the role players on the 4th line
4th line
  • LW ~ martin the thug
  • C ~ Moore a quick PK, what ever center.
  • RW ~ is open to whom ever babs wants there

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Babs is trying to get him to raise his compete level every game. Im sure Babs is tired of telling Willie, so now he is on the 4th line

Overly simplistic view of things. May have been the case when he was originally demoted, but it has more to do with how Babs has been deploying his other lines, namely having the Matthews line as our matchup line for a few games.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You dont understand ...

I think Ballcock prefers to give the Matthews, Kari, bozo line as much minutes as possible and keep the role players on the 4th line
4th line
  • LW ~ martin the thug
  • C ~ Moore a quick PK, what ever center.
  • RW ~ is open to whom ever babs wants there

I understand, I just don't agree that Martin needs to be dressed every night especially against teams that hardly ever get involved in **** stirring and we've got quality replacements for the 4th line

Reactions: Menzinger

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Overly simplistic view of things. May have been the case when he was originally demoted, but it has more to do with how Babs has been deploying his other lines, namely having the Matthews line as our matchup line for a few games.

Pens matched Crosby against Matthews it wasn't Babs,

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I understand, I just don't agree that Martin needs to be dressed every night especially against teams that hardly ever get involved in **** stirring and we've got quality replacements for the 4th line

which would you prefer?
  • 15mins a game ~ matthews line
  • 15 mins a game ~ kadri line
  • 15 mins a game ~ bozak line
  • 15 mins a game ~ 4th line
  • or
  • 20 mins a game ~ matthews line
  • 18 mins a game ~ kadri line
  • 17 mins a game ~ bozak line
  • 8-10 mins a game ~ 4th line

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
which would you prefer?
  • or
  • 16 mins a game ~ bozak line

Why not spread the minutes around if you can?

It's a long season and if you can win games and keep guys in the top 9 minutes down so they stay fitter and have more gas at playoff time why wouldn't you?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
which would you prefer?
  • or
  • 17 mins a game ~ bozak line

Leivo in for Martin does not automatically mean the lines would be deployed any differently, not sure why you'd assume that.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
flip a coin, I think Kapanen is higher on the prospect depth chart so he gets the call just because he's next man up, Johnsson's been good too. We have a lot of depth for sure and the logjam is a byproduct

Johnsson has looked better than Kapanen to me on the Marlies, save the last few games (I've watched a bit in passing)- as it pertains to this season. Though he was on a line with Marchment earlier on in the year, who was absolutely on fire.

They both have similar skillsets, Johnsson just uses his speed and change in pace more effectively right now. He probably has a better shot right now as well (he has a quicker release/snap shot). He reminds me of a poor man's Ehlers. He's been impressive whenever I've watched him (particularly him and Kap were the best forwards on the team to end last season as well). Not sure about his absolute upside though, given he's a bit older than most prospects.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Johnsson has looked better than Kapanen to me on the Marlies, save the last few games (I've watched a bit in passing)- as it pertains to this season. Though he was on a line with Marchment earlier on in the year, who was absolutely on fire.

They both have similar skillsets, Johnsson just uses his speed and change in pace more effectively right now. He probably has a better shot right now as well (he has a quicker release/snap shot). He reminds me of a poor man's Ehlers. He's been impressive whenever I've watched him (particularly him and Kap were the best forwards on the team to end last season as well). Not sure about his absolute upside though, given he's a bit older than most prospects.
Johnsson has a better release that Kapanen and knows how to get to the open area really well. He's also really responsible on the defensive side.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d say Johnsson has higher offensive upsides than kapanen.

Agreed.

I get that Babcock likes him but dress him against teams they expect to be a bit scrappy rather then every game. Though interestingly Babcock also doesn’t seem to trust Martin with much icetime even when he plays. Would rather have somebody who can play at both ends of the ice.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How has mason Marchmont looked on the Marlies? Could he ever be an nhler?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

seems like Kapanen has had a bit of a slow start but is coming on now. And ya I agree that they're similar prospects, I think Kapanen's speed and release are a little better, maybe not quite as quick but more velocity and seems to be able to beat goalies clean from top of the circles distance at times, and I think Kapanen's hands are better.

I won't be surprised if either one ends up as a better player, or if both end up as top 6 forwards...good problems I guess

I've only watched Marlies highlights this year, but Johnsson hasn't jumped off the page for me. The thing about him that I see as promising is that he knows how to get open in dangerous areas and doesn't need to carry the puck alot - inevitably his linemates are going to be better players than he is if he makes it on our team, so being good at getting open and not needing the puck a lot to be effective is a plus to me

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How has mason Marchmont looked on the Marlies? Could he ever be an nhler?

Maybe as a 4th liner, but that would be it. Really he's probably just going to replace Rychel in the organization, especially since Rychel could be dealt at some point. Both have some size and skill, and play with a bit of edge (although Rychel more than Marchment). Rychel is more skilled, but the Leafs could end up choosing Marchment. He seems to be a lot more consistent.

I expect one of them to take over for Martin down the line. Rychel has always been a sort of Martin/JvR hybrid for the Marlies, while Marchment has been money with guys like Ben Smith, who I believe are the types of players the Leafs are going to be using on the 4th line in the future. Marchment is essentially just a less aggressive and punchy version of Martin. Sneaky skill, still physical and knows what to do in the dirty areas, but he's not going to be a fighter (although he has dropped the gloves a few times and he is huge, so he's no pushover) or a hits leader like Martin. He may adapt his game to be more like that if he makes the NHL, as being a Martin clone may be the only way he gets there.

I will say this, the Leafs starter their program to find and develop talent to either assist with the success of the Marlies and further the development of their more important prospects, or to find diamonds in the rough. The latter is a long shot, and besides Froese, nobody has made an impact yet. Holl may end up being number two on that list at some point, but as of right now he's doing a lot with developing our young guys that he has already been a huge success. Marchment could very well be number 3, and the biggest success of them all. He could have a long career in the NHL if he works as hard as he has, and our management staff has taken notice of that. He could earn an ELC at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad