Proposal: Pros/Cons of signing Granlund

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Granlund has to prove he can be a top6 wing again, never mind a C. The game has moved on, and seems to have left him by the wayside. He gets a chance to prove people wrong next year, but i don't see any way in hell that someone pays him 5M/yr to do it.

To be fair, this was his first year of fatherhood, while playing in a new city with new linemates. I don't think it's odd that he had an off-year. If he put up similar numbers this upcoming season, then I'd be concerned, which is why I think he's a prime candidate for a 1-year deal. Put him with Fiala and see what happens.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is well into his second year of fatherhood, and made what, 6m/yr? That buys a hell of a Nanny. All sorts of players have kids and don't let it affect them. Granlund was bad in the month before we traded him, bad in the remainder of the year with NSH, then was bad all of this season. And that was at LW, his best position. He got to play with Duchene, and sometimes Johansen. Not exactly chopped liver.

Granlund hasn't earned much a of a contract, nor a spot in the top 6. We rant about Zuccarello not living up to his contract...MiG was worse. I think Haula could be had for cheaper, and is a better C.

Reactions: nstarjim

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Granlund has to prove he can be a top6 wing again, never mind a C. The game has moved on, and seems to have left him by the wayside. He gets a chance to prove people wrong next year, but i don't see any way in hell that someone pays him 5M/yr to do it.
Feel free to look at the upcoming UFA class. I think your over estimating it. Who's better than Granlund? Hall obviously, Hoffman probably. Dadanov and toffali maybe. Beyond that? Probably no one and none of the previous have any experience at C.

He'll get 5 million. Easy.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
@ThatGuy22 you could be right, but the cap is going to be tight. A smaller, slower guy who doesn't score and who's best position is LW can't be all that valuable.

Of the guys we traded, there is no doubt that Zoyle landed on their feet the best.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He is well into his second year of fatherhood, and made what, 6m/yr? That buys a hell of a Nanny. All sorts of players have kids and don't let it affect them. Granlund was bad in the month before we traded him, bad in the remainder of the year with NSH, then was bad all of this season. And that was at LW, his best position. He got to play with Duchene, and sometimes Johansen. Not exactly chopped liver.

Granlund hasn't earned much a of a contract, nor a spot in the top 6. We rant about Zuccarello not living up to his contract...MiG was worse. I think Haula could be had for cheaper, and is a better C.

No one is saying give him much of a contract. Anyone that expressed interest was one year deals.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

He had his kid in February 2019. The season was over by March 2020. All players have kids, but not all players are traded while their wife is in labor and has to deal with moving to an entire new city after nearly 6 years.

If the choice is between Haula and Granlund, I go with Granlund 100% of the time. Haula's played 63 games the past 2 seasons where he's suffered knee injuries in both of them. For a guy whose game revolves around skating, that's concerning.

@ThatGuy22 you could be right, but the cap is going to be tight. A smaller, slower guy who doesn't score and who's best position is LW can't be all that valuable.

Of the guys we traded, there is no doubt that Zoyle landed on their feet the best.

I'd never describe Granlund as a slow player. I can't think of any other player that's played for us in recent years that was better at skating into the zone with the puck on the PP.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Really depends on what the goal is next year. If it's playoffs (which it probably is). There isn't a better center available via free agency. If you can get Eichel or barkov via trade, great. Otherwise there isn't much of a better UFA option.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
A guy whose career is going the wrong way is going to turn things around by changing to a position that he has already failed at? Makes sense:facepalm:

And for the people saying to just give him a ton of PP time. Which one of Fiala or Kaprizov comes off the top unit for Granlund to play those minutes?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
A guy whose career is going the wrong way is going to turn things around by changing to a position that he has already failed at? Makes sense:facepalm:

And for the people saying to just give him a ton of PP time. Which one of Fiala or Kaprizov comes off the top unit for Granlund to play those minutes?

Why would any of them have to?

Granlund, Fiala, Kaprizov, Suter, Spurgeon

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
If you know an overload setup, you should know where Fiala is playing.
"Kaprizov down low"
"Granny on the boards"
"You should know where Fiala is playing"

You don't put your elite skill guys in front of the net for them to get hacked slashed and crosschecked into early retirement. You put them in a position to shoot.

Your idea of an overload PP setup is just terrible all around.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
"Kaprizov down low"
"Granny on the boards"
"You should know where Fiala is playing"

You don't put your elite skill guys in front of the net for them to get hacked slashed and crosschecked into early retirement. You put them in a position to shoot.

Your idea of an overload PP setup is just terrible all around.

True, let's instead throw Greenway and Parise in front of the net and screen for Suter's seeing-eye wristers. They'll clean up the rebounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad