Proposal: Pros/Cons of signing Granlund

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If he wants to come back, I don't really have a problem with it, but I'm not sure if he's going to have the same success that he did when he was last here. He was a 65-70 point winger here when he left, but he didn't perform well in Nashville. If the issue was related to a lack of chemistry, he's not going to be able to pick that back up playing in a center role (Zucker, Coyle, Nino are all gone).

However, I am interested in seeing what he'd be able to accomplish in a center role, since it's been nearly 5 years since he last played the position. Centering him with Fiala could be interesting. I believe the plan is for Kaprizov to play on a separate line than Fiala, but I think they could be dynamic with Granlund.

Kaprizov - Granlund - Fiala

Donato - Staal - Zuccarello

Parise - Ek - Kunin

Foligno - Sturm - Hartman

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
If he wants to come back, I don't really have a problem with it, but I'm not sure if he's going to have the same success that he did when he was last here. He was a 65-70 point winger here when he left, but he didn't perform well in Nashville. If the issue was related to a lack of chemistry, he's not going to be able to pick that back up playing in a center role (Zucker, Coyle, Nino are all gone).

However, I am interested in seeing what he'd be able to accomplish in a center role, since it's been nearly 5 years since he last played the position. Centering him with Fiala could be interesting. I believe the plan is for Kaprizov to play on a separate line than Fiala, but I think they could be dynamic with Granlund.

Kaprizov - Granlund - Fiala

Donato - Staal - Zuccarello

Parise - Ek - Kunin

Foligno - Sturm - Hartman
Donato not playing over Greenway

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I'm in favor of it's a one year reclamation deal around 5-6 million. No NMC, at best a 10 team no trade list.

Even as a Wing he's probably the best UFA C.

Also he was always good on the PP...usually good for 20 PP points a year.
We desperately need more juice there.

Did he play a lot of PP in Nashville?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Granlund can't play center

He can play center, it's a matter of if he can produce in the role. When we tried him at center, he was playing with guys like Pominville, Parise, Vanek, Nino and Coyle. When he transitioned to wing he was playing with Zucker and Staal. Putting him with a guy like Fiala might be a different story. If he'd actually take a 1 year deal, I think it's something to look at.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Gotta be a hard sell for granlund convincing his wife to come back here after we did them so dirty..

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Granlund as center is a failed experiment please stop trying to make it a thing.

Can we just move on from talking about declining players? He has 35 points in 79 games with Nashville. He's a middle-six LW at this point in his career and we have PLENTY of those.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Granlund as center is a failed experiment please stop trying to make it a thing.

Can we just move on from talking about declining players? He has 35 points in 79 games with Nashville. He's a middle-six LW at this point in his career and we have PLENTY of those.

He largely played RW here. And one seasons worth of games shouldn't discredit the last 3 years of his career when he was playing as a 1st line RW.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

I say make it a thing. And give him a ton of PP time

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Granlund can't play center
He can't play center as well as he plays wing *probably*. He paced for 50 points twice as a C with youngin s and bums, and Cullen while he was a youngin.

Not out of the question he could be a serviceable 2c with Fiala or Kaprizov.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'm not understanding why anyone would be against a move like this when we literally have no internal solution for our Top 6 center situation. If it's a 1-year deal, it's literally a no-brainer IMO. The FA market is weak this year. Other than Haula (who I'd be okay with signing on a short-term deal), there's nobody that interests me. Granlund can penalty-kill, he has familiarity within our system, and he's a dynamic playmaker that is great at zone entries. Staal can't keep up with Fiala, Granlund can.

I think a lot of his points will be determined whether he is getting PP time. Not whether he is C or W

The PP is a good point too because he was great at zone entries on the PP. Our PP looked like trash against the Nucks.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
He largely played RW here. And one seasons worth of games shouldn't discredit the last 3 years of his career when he was playing as a 1st line RW.
So we sign him for 5m+ to play 3rd line RW? Give me a f***ing break.

Fiala is our 1RW. Zuccarello will be our 2RW unless he's moved. If he is, Kunin is our 2RW. There's no place on this roster for Granlund because he can't play Center and you don't pay 3rd liners 5m+

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Fiala is our 1RW. Zuccarello will be our 2RW unless he's moved. If he is, Kunin is our 2RW. There's no place on this roster for Granlund because he can't play Center and you don't pay 3rd liners 5m+

No, we sign him to play 1st line Center with Fiala because we don't have one & he's never centered a dynamic player. The major thing that changed when Granlund switched to the wing was the linemates he was playing with. Zucker was a speedy scorer and he put up great numbers playing with Granlund feeding him the puck. Is is that far-fetched to think that Granlund can't produce the same numbers centering a line with Fiala? Really?

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018

You dont think he could get 60 plus points centering Fiala and KK

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see Granlund wanting to return, even if Fenton is gone.

There may be merit to signing him to try to fill a top 6 center role, but only as a last resort and only on a short term prove it deal. There's no sense rushing out and paying him 6-7M for 5-6 years to fill that role when he hasn't even attempted it in multiple years and it didn't work last time.

Reactions: Spurgeon

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Granlund couldn’t even play the wing the last year and a half. If you can get him on a one year deal without a NMC, sure, why not give it a try. But I doubt you could and we don’t need to add another bad contract to this group.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Okay. But you're wrong

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund has to prove he can be a top6 wing again, never mind a C. The game has moved on, and seems to have left him by the wayside. He gets a chance to prove people wrong next year, but i don't see any way in hell that someone pays him 5M/yr to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad