Proposal: Pros/Cons of signing Granlund

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
There in't a "weakside" on an overload PP. :facepalm: dude

He's 3. The side of the ice that's open.

Overload-Power-Play.jpg

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
True, let's instead throw Greenway and Parise in front of the net and screen for Suter's seeing-eye wristers. They'll clean up the rebounds.
The fact you're advocating for Suter to even be on the PP is reason enough to criticize the thought.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The fact you're advocating for Suter to even be on the PP is reason enough to criticize the thought.

I don't want Suter to be on the PP, I know he's inevitably going to be on it. I'd love to throw Dumba on there instead but we don't have enough right-handed shots for the 2nd PP. This team needs movement on their PP, they've been stagnant for so long.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's 3. The side of the ice that's open.

Overload-Power-Play.jpg
So, you want Granlund in a primarily shooting spot? Kaprizov in a primarily passing spot and Fiala in a spot where he does nothing but tip pucks and look for rebounds?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So, you want Granlund in a primarily shooting spot? Kaprizov in a primarily passing spot and Fiala in a spot where he does nothing but tip pucks and look for rebounds?

He has a quick accurate release, the focus of the play would be drawing defenders to that side of the ice and allowing Fiala to drift back into space. When the play is drawn down below the net, Spurgeon could creep in. When the play shifts to the other side of the ice, the focus would be on cycling Granlund below the net with Kap.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He has a quick accurate release, the focus of the play would be drawing defenders to that side of the ice and allowing Fiala to drift back into space. When the play is drawn down below the net, Spurgeon could creep in. When the play shifts to the other side of the ice, the focus would be on cycling Granlund below the net with Kap.
There's no quick release for a left hander playing the slot in your PP. It's terrible and it takes the puck off the stick of your best offensive player and puts it on the stick of a guy that can't shoot.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
There's no quick release for a left hander playing the slot in your PP. It's terrible and it takes the puck off the stick of your best offensive player and puts it on the stick of a guy that can't shoot.

Granlund isn't a shooter in an overload scenario unless the play shifts to the other side of the ice, but as mentioned, you'd cycle him down low.

This is a better setup:

7dCh2Nj.jpg

I'm curious what setup you think they should use?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Granlund isn't a shooter in an overload scenario unless the play shifts to the other side of the ice, but as mentioned, you'd cycle him down low.

This is a better setup:

7dCh2Nj.jpg

I'm curious what setup you think they should use?
You do understand that the Wild currently use an overload system, correct? Fiala plays the role that you want Granlund to play. You did notice how often Fiala did in fact shoot the puck in that system? Staal played the role that you want Fiala to fill. How often did you see Staal shooting the puck? How often did you see Staal creating offense on the PP? Kaprizov on the goal line isn't a bad idea but it works much better with a guy that can actually shoot the puck running it from the halfwall. With Granlund in that spot the defense will back down into the net and dare Granlund to shoot muffins. That would kill a lot af Kaprizov's effectiveness. All of this works much better with a right hander in the slot.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You do understand that the Wild currently use an overload system, correct? Fiala plays the role that you want Granlund to play. You did notice how often Fiala did in fact shoot the puck in that system? Staal played the role that you want Fiala to fill. How often did you see Staal shooting the puck? How often did you see Staal creating offense on the PP? Kaprizov on the goal line isn't a bad idea but it works much better with a guy that can actually shoot the puck running it from the halfwall. With Granlund in that spot the defense will back down into the net and dare Granlund to shoot muffins. That would kill a lot af Kaprizov's effectiveness. All of this works much better with a right hander in the slot.

The issue is we have no right handed forwards other than Kunin. I'd be curious about using Dumba in more of a forward role on the PP, but im not sure how feasible that is. He was great the previous year on the PP, but his shot just didn't connect this year.

Also, I wouldn't want the Wild to commit to solely an overload strategy. It'd be great to get some movement and transitions into other systems during the course of a PP. The Wild seem to eventually default to an umbrella with Suter at the point to throw a wrister towards the net. They're a team that have always been so heavily focused on screens, tips, and rebounds.

This is all probably moot anyways, since I'd put us signing Granlund being like a 1% chance, but I think there'd be a way to make him work as the playmaker on a PP. Them all being lefties doesn't help though.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Granlund could still get plenty of PP time on the 2nd unit since Evason likes to split the PP time between units somewhat evenly. Combine that with Parise potentially being relegated to the 2nd unit and Granlund's chemistry with Dumba, maybe it could work out.

It just doesn't make that much sense since we already have Zuccarello signed and probably would want him to fill that same role.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I know how to run a PP. Clearly, what you know was learned from NHL20. It was a pretty simple question though.

Then you wouldn't run an overload. You would run 2 units of 1-3-1

Suter
Fiala-KK-Spurgeon
Praise

Hunt
Granny-Staal-Dumba
Kunin

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Probably not the smartest idea in terms of money for the future. Hes going to get a decent size contract and we cant play fast and loose with our money on that level of free agents.

If we could even exchange for zuccerello sure? Lol

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We could just not overlook the obvious answer that Granlund headlines unit number 2 on the halfwall feeding Dumba where they both had the most success of their careers.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Both Zuccarello and Fiala fill the roles that Granlund used to have. If we can get Granlund for 3/12M then we might think about it, but you can't ignore his awful play the past season and a half. He's scoring at the rate of JEE, but getting far better linemates and PP TOI.
And he's nowhere the defensive player JEE is.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd really rather not see another season of Granlund at center, even as a last resort.

If he's looking for a 1-year "show me" contract, why would he take it knowing he'd be played at a position he struggles at? On a team where, if he needs to shift back to wing, he'll be competing with about 20 other players for ice time? A team that, new management aside, wasn't exactly gentle about how they parted ways? And if he's looking for more term than that, why sign him at all?

I just don't see it. Maybe Nashville's held him back in certain ways, but his cold streak has spanned two teams and three coaches at this point.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I'd really rather not see another season of Granlund at center, even as a last resort.

If he's looking for a 1-year "show me" contract, why would he take it knowing he'd be played at a position he struggles at? On a team where, if he needs to shift back to wing, he'll be competing with about 20 other players for ice time? A team that, new management aside, wasn't exactly gentle about how they parted ways? And if he's looking for more term than that, why sign him at all?

I just don't see it. Maybe Nashville's held him back in certain ways, but his cold streak has spanned two teams and three coaches at this point.

I have read where even the Nashville fans say playing for them expect a 20 percent drop in point production. Now I am not up on hw Nashville plays so can only take them at their word

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it's not like the Wild are 80's Oilers.

Who would you rather play with, Duchene, or JEE?

I guess we could always play him with Zuccarello, and they can set the record for amount of times passing to one another without taking a shot.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Both Zuccarello and Fiala fill the roles that Granlund used to have. If we can get Granlund for 3/12M then we might think about it, but you can't ignore his awful play the past season and a half. He's scoring at the rate of JEE, but getting far better linemates and PP TOI.
And he's nowhere the defensive player JEE is.

I must have missed where Zuc filled any role last year. Man he was awful and then got even worse in the playoffs. I know we are stuck with him so hopefully he turns it around.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe his problem was that he was playing with Granlund.

Oh, and as mediocre as Zucc was, MiG was worse. MiG had two good years, from 2016-18. The vast majority of his career he has been underproducing, even when given excellent opportunities.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad