Proposal: Pros/Cons of signing Granlund

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Maybe his problem was that he was playing with Granlund.

Oh, and as mediocre as Zucc was, MiG was worse. MiG had two good years, from 2016-18. The vast majority of his career he has been underproducing, even when given excellent opportunities.

I watched all the Wild games so know Zuc was bad. Guessing you watched all the Preds games so know exactly what he did???

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You seem to be implying that I am misinformed, and that he played well while in NSH? Why in world would I watch ALL the NSH games?

The guy had 30 points last year, while playing over 2 minutes more per night than Zucc. For reference;

Kunin 31 points

JEE 29 points

Greenway 28 points

Brodin !!? 28 points

None of these guys except Kunin had PP TOI to any degree. Granlund was a regular on their PP. Think about that for a second. Mikael Granlund, a supposed offensive wizard, had two more points than a defensive Dman who gets no PP TOI.

He had 3 pts. in 10 gp in the playoffs with NSH.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You seem to be implying that I am misinformed, and that he played well while in NSH? Why in world would I watch ALL the NSH games?

The guy had 30 points last year, while playing over 2 minutes more per night than Zucc. For reference;

Kunin 31 points

JEE 29 points

Greenway 28 points

Brodin !!? 28 points

None of these guys except Kunin had PP TOI to any degree. Granlund was a regular on their PP. Think about that for a second. Mikael Granlund, a supposed offensive wizard, had two more points than a defensive Dman who gets no PP TOI.

He probably just figured if you were going to have an opinion, you'd have watched more than a stat line. It was an honest mistake, he's new here, he'll learn.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Actually those are really good set ups for skill sets of the players.
Actually, you have all of your shooters on the wrong sides. You have guys that can't shoot in shooting positions and shooters in non-shooting positions. You don't even have a center on the 1st unit and your choice for net front on the 2nd unit isn't good.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Actually, you have all of your shooters on the wrong sides. You have guys that can't shoot in shooting positions and shooters in non-shooting positions. You don't even have a center on the 1st unit and your choice for net front on the 2nd unit isn't good.

You are messing around right???

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
Still wasn't as bad as Granlund, who according to you is our lord and savior.

Couldn't tell you. I would only be able to look at stats, didn't see Granlund play all the time like you did.

Bringing him back to now he is Lord and Savior. I will respect your opinion you don't want him back. No biggie. But dont put words in my mouth. It's just a discussion board not divorce court. Geez

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ok. You and I must use different 1-3-1 systems.
You have Granlund and Fiala on the left side with Spurgeon and Dumba on the right side. That's wrong.
You have Granlund and Spurgeon in shooting positions. That's wrong
You have Hunt running things from up top in a non-shooting position. That's wrong on multiple levels
You don't have a center on the 1st unit. That's just brutal
Kunin as the net front on the 2nd unit makes no sense either.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
You have Granlund and Fiala on the left side with Spurgeon and Dumba on the right side. That's wrong.
You have Granlund and Spurgeon in shooting positions. That's wrong
You have Hunt running things from up top in a non-shooting position. That's wrong on multiple levels
You don't have a center on the 1st unit. That's just brutal
Kunin as the net front on the 2nd unit makes no sense either.

1. You may want to look again. I have both Fiala and Granlund on the right side. They both would be the puck posession players on each unit. AkA QB. The triangles would start with them.
2. You may want to look again as I have Dumba and Spurgeon on the left in their shooting position.
3. Both Suter and Hunt can get the puck to the net through traffic better than our other D so those are easy choices.
4. Stall and KK will be dangerous in the middle with quick shots and deflections.
5. Kunin is Parise Lite so he is a perfect fit in front. Good at tips and in small spaces. Tough as nails.
6. I get your no center argument but we never win a frickin face off so looking at things from zone entry perspective.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
1. You may want to look again. I have both Fiala and Granlund on the right side. They both would be the puck posession players on each unit. AkA QB. The triangles would start with them.
2. You may want to look again as I have Dumba and Spurgeon on the left in their shooting position.
3. Both Suter and Hunt can get the puck to the net through traffic better than our other D so those are easy choices.
4. Stall and KK will be dangerous in the middle with quick shots and deflections.
5. Kunin is Parise Lite so he is a perfect fit in front. Good at tips and in small spaces. Tough as nails.
6. I get your no center argument but we never win a frickin face off so looking at things from zone entry perspective.
I don't know anyone that would draw a PP upside down but you go ahead and try to save face.

Suter running the 1st unit is fine. Hunt running the 2nd one is moronic. Thinking the main purpose of the guy up top is to get pucks to the net just shows your lack of understanding.

Staal and Kaprizov aren't terrible fits for the slot, but they can't be effective if you're looking for the feeds to come from the RW(Fiala,Granlund)

You still haven't explained why you would have Granlund and Spurgeon in the shooting positions?

You still haven't explained why the 1st unit doesn't have a center?

I guess Kunin being good at getting knocked down makes him similar to Parise? Kid might have the worst hands on the roster.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I mostly enjoyed Granny while he was here but we've moved on from him and he's moved on from us. He's just not good enough to play as a top line C. If we get lucky we draft/trade/develop a good enough 1st/2nd line tweener who can take over the reins after Stall retires.

Then for the 2nd line C I think one of Ek or Khovanov can step up. Then for the 3rd and 4th lines Granny just doesn't fit there. We have enough wingers so no room there either. So in reality we can't use him.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
I don't know anyone that would draw a PP upside down but you go ahead and try to save face.

Suter running the 1st unit is fine. Hunt running the 2nd one is moronic. Thinking the main purpose of the guy up top is to get pucks to the net just shows your lack of understanding.

Staal and Kaprizov aren't terrible fits for the slot, but they can't be effective if you're looking for the feeds to come from the RW(Fiala,Granlund)

You still haven't explained why you would have Granlund and Spurgeon in the shooting positions?

You still haven't explained why the 1st unit doesn't have a center?

I guess Kunin being good at getting knocked down makes him similar to Parise? Kid might have the worst hands on the roster.

Here is exactly how I posted it.

Then you wouldn't run an overload. You would run 2 units of 1-3-1

Suter
Fiala-KK-Spurgeon
Praise

Hunt
Granny-Staal-Dumba
Kunin

So you are also saying I had Hunt and Suter in front of the net and Kunin and Parise running the point? Upside down????

Again, Spurgeon and Dumba are in the shooting position.

Look how Spurgeon scores a lot of goals off the dots- hmm where would he go. Look how Kunin scores a lot of his goals. Second chances, grinding---hmmm where would he go.

If your no Center is such a problem. We will need 2 centers on both PPs because of the amount of time first Center gets kicked out and Wings have to take the draw.

If I really had it my way I want to trade Brodin for Nylander and he would play the Granny spot. But this is a Granny thread. But still no Center on first PP.

If you want one switch Staal and KK. I DONT care. I am explaining how we have the right players to run the 1 3 1. Minus a second Possession QB on that right wall. Zuc isn't it for me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Here is exactly how I posted it.

Then you wouldn't run an overload. You would run 2 units of 1-3-1

Suter
Fiala-KK-Spurgeon
Praise

Hunt
Granny-Staal-Dumba
Kunin

So you are also saying I had Hunt and Suter in front of the net and Kunin and Parise running the point? Upside down????

Again, Spurgeon and Dumba are in the shooting position.

Look how Spurgeon scores a lot of goals off the dots- hmm where would he go. Look how Kunin scores a lot of his goals. Second chances, grinding---hmmm where would he go.

If your no Center is such a problem. We will need 2 centers on both PPs because of the amount of time first Center gets kicked out and Wings have to take the draw.

If I really had it my way I want to trade Brodin for Nylander and he would play the Granny spot. But this is a Granny thread. But still no Center on first PP.

If you want one switch Staal and KK. I DONT care. I am explaining how we have the right players to run the 1 3 1. Minus a second Possession QB on that right wall. Zuc isn't it for me.

an unbrella PP is designed to have shooters on each faceoff dot. Fiala and Dumba are great options for those spots. Granlund and Spurgeon are poor choices for those spots. Saying that the left dot is the "shooting position" just shows a lack of knowledge.

Spurgeon scores most of his PP goals either off the rush or by sneaking down back door. Your umbrella limits the backdoor play because you're moving a guy off of the goalline.

Drawing up a PP without a center is just embarrassing.

Nylander is right handed. Playing him in the RW circle is a terrible idea.

Thinking that an umbrella PP is run from the faceoff dot also shows a lack of understanding.

Kunin has been given time as the slot guy on the PP because he's the only right hander the Wild have. Kunin shanked or fanned on more opportunities than I care to ever watch again.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
an unbrella PP is designed to have shooters on each faceoff dot. Fiala and Dumba are great options for those spots. Granlund and Spurgeon are poor choices for those spots. Saying that the left dot is the "shooting position" just shows a lack of knowledge.

Spurgeon scores most of his PP goals either off the rush or by sneaking down back door. Your umbrella limits the backdoor play because you're moving a guy off of the goalline.

Drawing up a PP without a center is just embarrassing.

Nylander is right handed. Playing him in the RW circle is a terrible idea.

Thinking that an umbrella PP is run from the faceoff dot also shows a lack of understanding.

Kunin has been given time as the slot guy on the PP because he's the only right hander the Wild have. Kunin shanked or fanned on more opportunities than I care to ever watch again.

This will be my Last post on this. In the 1 3 1 you have a playmaker in the boards. More times than not on the ride side. In my terms the playmaker.

The other side is in my terms a shooter.

The Guy in the middle is the most dangerous shooter. So the defense has to collapse to him.
Doesn't have to be fast, just have a good quick shot.

The down low man in my terms the grinder is the screener, tipper, rebound garbage. You do know he also flows to the goal line on the strong side giving the triangle pass lane.

The guy on the blue line has to know how to get the puck to the net through traffic and good quick passer.

The playmaker is control of the puck position. He is the most skilled passer on the PP. He sets the triangle and starts the passing based on obviouslyhow the defense is playing.

The goal of this is to have quick crisp passes between the 4 different triangles set up from the players positioning of the 1 3 1.

Watch Tampa Bays Power Play. Obviously those guys are uber talented but it will give you a good understanding of it.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kunin has no business on the PP, he has a total of 3 points :laugh:
Btw...Zuccarello has 106 points.

Re-sign Granlund? Russo had a short answer there: Not happening.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Kunin has no business on the PP, he has a total of 3 points :laugh:
Btw...Zuccarello has 106 points.

Re-sign Granlund? Russo had a short answer there: Not happening.
Imagine comparing career numbers between a 22 year old and a 32 year old... Kunin has 116 career power play minutes. Zuccarello got 159 power play minutes just this year.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This will be my Last post on this. In the 1 3 1 you have a playmaker in the boards. More times than not on the ride side. In my terms the playmaker.

The other side is in my terms a shooter.

The Guy in the middle is the most dangerous shooter. So the defense has to collapse to him.
Doesn't have to be fast, just have a good quick shot.

The down low man in my terms the grinder is the screener, tipper, rebound garbage. You do know he also flows to the goal line on the strong side giving the triangle pass lane.

The guy on the blue line has to know how to get the puck to the net through traffic and good quick passer.

The playmaker is control of the puck position. He is the most skilled passer on the PP. He sets the triangle and starts the passing based on obviouslyhow the defense is playing.

The goal of this is to have quick crisp passes between the 4 different triangles set up from the players positioning of the 1 3 1.

Watch Tampa Bays Power Play. Obviously those guys are uber talented but it will give you a good understanding of it.
Tampa's PP runs through Hedman up top. Their guy in the middle(Point) is their 3rd most dangerous shooter. Tampa's PP works because both Stamkos and Kucherov can hammer one-timers and create cross seam passes to each other. The defense can't cheat either side.

Suter could probably pass as a poor mans Hedman. No chance on Hunt
Fiala could probably pass as a poor mans Kucherov. No chance on Granlund
Spurgeon isn't even in the discussion of Stamkos. Dumba has a one-timer but isn't close to the playmaker.
Kaprizov might be able to do what Point does, but Kaprizov is left handed so his playmaker would have to be Spurgeon. That's a little different than having Kucherov working the puck to him.
Parise could do what Killorn does. Might even be better.

The PP you're trying to describe is more like Washington's with Backstrom and/or Kuznetsov working off the RW half wall, with Carlson up top, Oshie in the slot, and Ovechkin on the left dot. Minnesota doesn't have the RH talent to pull that off.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Yowza who cares about the PP formation with this level of hypotheticals people?

Relax and get to the point.

Pros:
Could be a better center with better wings
Still in prime age
Likely won't command a ton or long term
Better than zucc
Familiar with org

Cons:
Likely shifts to wing
Doesn't solve getting rid of zucc
Not a great skater or big to stay on feet so more the same
Blocks another spot for younger talent
Less money to flex with kap and fiala
Stuck with another deal we cant move.

Idk there are some pros that could work out for us but just the last 2 cons aren't worth the risk imo. Maybe if we can move zucc.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if granny could sign cheap and play 3rw instead of say donato i'd do it. no ntc or nmc with expansion coming. granlund had good chemistry on this team and i see no reason that's changed.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's time to move on from Granlund, unless he is willing to sign a really cheap contract.

Last edited:

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
if granny could sign cheap and play 3rw instead of say donato i'd do it. no ntc or nmc with expansion coming. granlund had good chemistry on this team and i see no reason that's changed.

I see no reason he can't pick right back up with all that success he had opposite Zucker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad