Speculation: Projecting lines for 2017-18

Museula

Jul 21, 2016
Castle
Everyone has Bonino or Jarnkrok as the 2nd line center yet Sissons was the one to move up when Johansen went down.

Sissons in the playoffs, in a 3rd line role for most of it, was scoring at a 22 goal per season pace. Small sample size I know but I wouldn't discount him yet.

That would be awesome if Sissons would take the 2nd line, Bonino the 3rd, and Jarnkrok 4th.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Sure, Sissons scored at a 22 goal pace, but he also shot an unsustainable 21.4%. Bonino is absolutely better than him to me. Jarnkrok probably gets the edge too, based on track record, but I think they're actually pretty even. Both are lower end 3rd liners.

Sissons averaged over 15 minutes TOI per game in the post season and his most common linemate was Forsberg, he only played under 14 minutes in 6 of the 22 games. He was good in the playoffs, and was stuck on the 3rd/4th line for a few of the games, but he likely played well over his head. Let's not forget that Sissons had 13 goals and 7 assists in 119 games prior to the playoffs this year, a couple of the goals and assists were on empty netters as well. Yes, he didn't have the greatest linemates most of the time, but do you want a guy with 7 assists in 119 games centering your second line? I could see giving him a chance above Jarnkrok, just to see how it shakes out. But second line? No way

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Sure, Sissons scored at a 22 goal pace, but he also shot an unsustainable 21.4%. Bonino is absolutely better than him to me. Jarnkrok probably gets the edge too, based on track record, but I think they're actually pretty even. Both are lower end 3rd liners.

Sissons averaged over 15 minutes TOI per game in the post season and his most common linemate was Forsberg, he only played under 14 minutes in 6 of the 22 games. He was good in the playoffs, and was stuck on the 3rd/4th line for a few of the games, but he likely played well over his head. Let's not forget that Sissons had 13 goals and 7 assists in 119 games prior to the playoffs this year, a couple of the goals and assists were on empty netters as well. Yes, he didn't have the greatest linemates most of the time, but do you want a guy with 7 assists in 119 games centering your second line? I could see giving him a chance above Jarnkrok, just to see how it shakes out. But second line? No way

Exactly like you stated who did he have to play with for his first 100 games. Players like Sissons take longer to develop their overall game.(take Bonino as an exact example of that)

Bonino may suit the position today better but Bonino does disappear at times as well, can be inconsistent. Bonino does have that contract so he should be the one who is in the top 6 for sure.

Although if one of Johansen or Bonino goes down Sissons is a great option to have.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Exactly like you stated who did he have to play with for his first 100 games. Players like Sissons take longer to develop their overall game.(take Bonino as an exact example of that)

Bonino may suit the position today better but Bonino does disappear at times as well, can be inconsistent. Bonino does have that contract so he should be the one who is in the top 6 for sure.

Although if one of Johansen or Bonino goes down Sissons is a great option to have.

Man hope johansen doesnt go down again. Could you imagine bonino on our first line... man that would suck

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I'm gonna try to put a Nashville line together but I don't know when Bonino is supposed to return so the forward lineup might be off, plus I don't know much about Nashville's lineup in general.

As an outsider I'd figure I'll make a Preds lineup. If I'm way off feel free to educate me on what Nashville's lineup might look like to start the season, so that I can update my lineup for the Nashville Predators.

Nashville Predators 2017-18 Line-up

Line 1 LW Forsberg C Johansen RW Arvidsson
Line 2 LW Fiala C Kamenev RW Aberg
Line 3 LW Hartnell C Sissons RW Jarnkrok
Line 4 LW Watson C Gaudreau RW Smith

1st D-Pair LD Josi RD Emelin
2nd D-Pair LD Ekholm RD Subban
3rd D-Pair LD Irwin RD Weber

Goalie's:
Starter: Rinne
Backup: Saros

Scratched List
RW Salomaki
LW McLeod
LD Bitetto
C Bonino + Broken left tibia 1-2 months < last update I got.
RD Ellis + Knee surgery 4-6 months - IR

When Bonino returns, send either Kamenev or Gaudreau down to AHL's Milwaukee Admirals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey guys, what does your top 6 forward lines look like as well as your top and 2nd PP units? Doing some pool stuff and I noticed that Forsberg had a very limited amount of PP points last year. Thanks!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hey guys, what does your top 6 forward lines look like as well as your top and 2nd PP units? Doing some pool stuff and I noticed that Forsberg had a very limited amount of PP points last year. Thanks!
The team never used regular season lines during pre-season so that’s hard to project completely. Add to that....Bonino skipped all of preseason with that nagging injury from the finals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The team never used regular season lines during pre-season so that’s hard to project completely. Add to that....Bonino skipped all of preseason with that nagging injury from the finals.

Thanks. Was Forsberg on PP1 or PP2 last season?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Is Johansen injured? If so what is the severity and timetable?
I don’t think he is. I haven’t heard anything and none of the injury lists on news sites have him listed. If I am not mistaken, he was just scratched yesterday in favor of getting a look at Gaudreau and Kamenev.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks. My mother in law said that she saw an injury but it was likely just from the end of last season.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If Sissons really does overtake Jarnkrok for third line center, I'm going to be even more pissed we kept Jarnkrok over Neal in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If Sissons really does overtake Jarnkrok for third line center, I'm going to be even more pissed me kept Jarnkrok over Neal in the expansion draft.
I just keep telling myself that Jarnkrok made some kind of deal with Poile for protection in exchange for the cheap long term deal.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That would be awesome if Sissons would take the 2nd line, Bonino the 3rd, and Jarnkrok 4th.
I think the team has a pretty good setup that doesn't need a lot of differentiation between what you call the "2nd", "3rd", or "4th" lines. Maybe you lean on some of the heavier players (Sissons, Watson, Hartnell for e.g.) against certain opponents, maybe you give some of the younger players more room against other opponents, maybe it depends on which line is "hot" on a given night. But it wouldn't be so bad to have the big first line, and then 3 other quasi-equal lines that can share time and can be deployed strategically, effectively, depending on the opponent. It will need Sissons and Watson playing like they did in the playoffs - ideally if Salomaki's pre-season is any indication and he stays healthy, he could maybe factor in as well. The team hopefully doesn't need to follow any strict 1-2-3-4 line stereotype.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad