Speculation: Projecting lines for 2017-18

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
So as the team stands now I think it will look something like this.

(With Fisher returning)

JOFA line
Smith/Bonino/Fiala
Jarnkrok/Fisher/Hartnel
Watson/Sissons/McCloud

Josi/Ellis
Ekholm/Subban
Emelin/Weber

(Without Fisher)

JOFA line
Smith/Bonino/Fiala
Aberg/Jarnkrok/Hartnel
Watson/Sissons/McCloud

Josi/Ellis
Ekholm/Subban
Emelin/Weber

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
JOFA
Fiala-Bonino-Smith
Hartnell-Hook-Aberg/Salomaki
Watson-Sissons-Aberg/Salomaki
McLeod-Gaudreau

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Hope McLeod is permanently in the press box. No need for him to see any ice time ever.

JOFA
Hartnell - Bonino - Fiala
Aberg - Jarnkrok - Smith
Salomaki - Sissons - Watson

Obviously changes if Fisher signs or a trade is made.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
JOFA
Hartnell-Bonino-Fiala
Smith-Jarnkrok-Aberg
Salomaki/McLeod-Sissons-Watson/Gaudreau

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Subban
Emelin-Weber.....Irwin fills in

Really starting to miss 18..

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
We need 18, but we've got the cap space to get something... there'd be a certain poetry and we'd all welcome back if it was James Neal but otherwise my lines are:

(with Fish)
JOFA
Smith-Bonino-Fiala^
Hartnell-Fish-Jarnkrok
Mcleod-Sissons-Watson

Without fish..

JOFA
Smith-Bonino-Fiala
Hartnell-Jarnkrok-Aberg
Mcleod-Sissons-Watson

I don't think you can take out that fourth line, just for the sheer physicality. I'm not touching the D's cos, why? The one improvement I'd make is Ellis & Ekholm together but we know that's not going to happen so... I'm happy, ish. If Fish re-signs I'd like to see us trade Bonino and Emelin for a genuine 2C, move jarny to the wing but I don't see it happening. Our D corps is stunning with or without emelin, I'm happy with him being a trade piece if that's what he is, I feel like between Fabbro, Girard and Carrier we've got enough coming in behind that 4 to not worry too much.

^Assuming Fiala can come back so soon, it's another picture right now otherwise and it's not pretty. BUT we have the cap space to move and get someone explosive.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd go

JOFA
Smith Fisher/Jarnkrok Fiala
Hartnell Bonino Aberg
Whoever

The reason is that Fisher/Jarnkrok are both more shooters than creators so putting Fiala with them gives them someone on the line that has some of that.

Bonino is more that guy, so putting him with Hartnell and Smith seems more fitting

Also think the speed of the guys fit better together, but I could be wrong on that.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
jofa
fiala/ a center we trade for/ aberg
hartnell/ bones/ smith
Watson/ sissons/ jarny

this doesn't look right..... What about
jofa
jvr/bozak/fiala
hartnell/bones/aberg
watson/sissons/gaudreau.

trade smith, jarny d prospect 2018 1st 2019 3rd for bozak and jvr

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
if fiala and aberg don't produce on the wing, poile is gonna look pretty silly for not protecting neal. not to bring up past arguments but man same old song and dance. i do however feel fiala is ready to step up and make an impact. if he doesnt, we could really see a slip from our offense. i am still hoping for another move or 2 personally.

PredatorBerlin

Jul 7, 2017
Berlin, Germany
I don't know, something tells me that Hartnell could have a quite good season. Why not 2nd line? I think he can produce 50pts.I don't feel that Fish is done, he had a good year, and there is still a Cup to win.

But maybe it is just too early right now. Lets wait. The season will bring some suprises for sure.

I'm still not comfortable with Emelin/Weber. Irwin for me had not so good Playoffs but an above-average year. Maybe there are still things to come?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
JOFA
Fiala Bonino Smith
Hartnell Jarnkrok Aberg
Salomaki Sissons Watson
McLeod Other Scrubs.

It's just not a pretty line up. I was much more confident about our forwards last year.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
JOFA
Fiala Bonino Smith
Hartnell Jarnkrok Aberg
Salomaki Sissons Watson
McLeod Other Scrubs.

It's just not a pretty line up. I was much more confident about our forwards last year.
Really? Why? Fisher was banged up, Arvidsson looked like a 3rd or 4th liner, Fiala wasn't ready, Sissons looked like an NHL/AHL tweener, Watson too.

Arvidsson to me looks as good as Neal
Hartnell is better in that position than 2016 Arvidsson
Bonino is an upgrade
Fiala is probably our at worst 3rd best winger right now.
Sissons has grown a lot as a player
Watson is a freaking wreaking ball with a bit of skill and a ton of size
Wilson is gone

I don't see how we're worse off upfront from last offseason at all....`

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I mean, maybe you thought Arvy was that level of player, I always thought he was going to be a 20/20 player. Now, he exceeded those expectations, but I never thought he looked like a 4th liner.

I think offensively

Joey
Ribs
Fisher
Sissons/Jarnkrok

Is better than

Joey
Bonino
Jarnkrok
Sissons

I'm also worried about our right wings. If Smith doesn't recover his level of play, we could have a really rough go of it.

Please note, this is an opinion, not a fact. I like what Poile has done this off-season (outside of his moronic Neal decison) but there is still work to be done to make our roster better. We are missing a second line forward. Wing, center it doesn't matter. I don't trust Fiala and Aberg to replace Neal and Ribs point production.

I worry about Jarnkrok's inability to generate offense consistently as well.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I don't think there is any way Smith has a worse season than last year. He was snakebit from start to finish. Hit every post, fanned on every one timer. Maybe his goal in Game 3 of the SCF will give him some confidence going into next year.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I mean, maybe you thought Arvy was that level of player, I always thought he was going to be a 20/20 player. Now, he exceeded those expectations, but I never thought he looked like a 4th liner.

I think offensively

Joey
Ribs
Fisher
Sissons/Jarnkrok

Is better than

Joey
Bonino
Jarnkrok
Sissons

I'm also worried about our right wings. If Smith doesn't recover his level of play, we could have a really rough go of it.

Please note, this is an opinion, not a fact. I like what Poile has done this off-season (outside of his moronic Neal decison) but there is still work to be done to make our roster better. We are missing a second line forward. Wing, center it doesn't matter. I don't trust Fiala and Aberg to replace Neal and Ribs point production.

I worry about Jarnkrok's inability to generate offense consistently as well.
Remember though, Mike Ribeiro disappeared during the playoffs and was benched 2 or 3 games. He was already fading as part of the top 6. But I do understand your concerns at center, I have my reservations as well. On wing though, I like this years group, but I could see adding a more proven scorer or talent. I really like Fiala and Aberg though. I think given the chance, they'll do some good things offensively. Neal only had 41 points last season, Ribs had 25. I do think Fiala and Aberg can produce those type numbers.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So as the team stands now I think it will look something like this.

(With Fisher returning)

JOFA line
Smith/Bonino/Fiala
Jarnkrok/Fisher/Hartnel
Watson/Sissons/McCloud

Josi/Ellis
Ekholm/Subban
Emelin/Weber

(Without Fisher)

JOFA line
Smith/Bonino/Fiala
Aberg/Jarnkrok/Hartnel
Watson/Sissons/McCloud

Josi/Ellis
Ekholm/Subban
Emelin/Weber

I actually like Fiala and Smith on opposite sides. Neither of them are good in actual defense, so gives them more room for offense. Forsberg being a LWer still questions me, especially as he's great defensively meaning it's more likely he'll succeed even more on the right wing.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I actually like Fiala and Smith on opposite sides. Neither of them are good in actual defense, so gives them more room for offense. Forsberg being a LWer still questions me, especially as he's great defensively meaning it's more likely he'll succeed even more on the right wing.
Forsberg's biggest value is his shot, and coming down his off wing means his stick is on the inside, opening more angles.

monix11

Jun 21, 2017
Forsberg / Johansen / Aberg
Arvidsson / Bonino / Fiala
Hartnell / Jarnkrok / Smith
McLeod / Sissons / Watson
Salomaki

Josi / Ellis
Ekholm / Subban
Emelin / Weber
Bitetto

I broke-up the JOFA line because I look at forward lines as pairs (center-wing), not a trio. So Forsberg-Johansen, Jarnkrok-Hartnell, Sissons-Watson. I went with Arvidsson-Bonino on the 2nd line because I think Arvidsson can be more than just a beneficiary of playing with Johansen and Forsberg. Then plug the remaining hole on each line....

Forsberg / Johansen / Aberg -- Johansen carries the 1st line and Forsberg will score a ton. Whomever plays on that line can go along for the ride with those two. I thought Hartnell might be good for that line but pace would be too big of an issue so Aberg is a good alternative. He might not bring Arvy's jam but he'll bring similar speed and skill and we know he can score.

Arvidsson / Bonino / Fiala -- Preds version of Pittsburgh's HBK line-- grit, speed and shooters.

Hartnell / Jarnkrok / Smith -- Hook and Hartsy should complement each other well. Two very dependable players who will be tough defensively and chip in with some offense. Appropriate for Smith to be on this line based on his production the past few years.

McLeod / Sissons / Watson -- Very good fourth line. I think Sissons and Watson could handle bigger roles but they'll continue to be valuable as 4th liners and penalty killers. Lavy loves McLeod so he sticks in the lineup.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Forsberg / Johansen / Aberg
Arvidsson / Bonino / Fiala
Hartnell / Jarnkrok / Smith
McLeod / Sissons / Watson
Salomaki

Josi / Ellis
Ekholm / Subban
Emelin / Weber
Bitetto

I broke-up the JOFA line because I look at forward lines as pairs (center-wing), not a trio. So Forsberg-Johansen, Jarnkrok-Hartnell, Sissons-Watson. I went with Arvidsson-Bonino on the 2nd line because I think Arvidsson can be more than just a beneficiary of playing with Johansen and Forsberg. Then plug the remaining hole on each line....

Forsberg / Johansen / Aberg -- Johansen carries the 1st line and Forsberg will score a ton. Whomever plays on that line can go along for the ride with those two. I thought Hartnell might be good for that line but pace would be too big of an issue so Aberg is a good alternative. He might not bring Arvy's jam but he'll bring similar speed and skill and we know he can score.

Arvidsson / Bonino / Fiala -- Preds version of Pittsburgh's HBK line-- grit, speed and shooters.

Hartnell / Jarnkrok / Smith -- Hook and Hartsy should complement each other well. Two very dependable players who will be tough defensively and chip in with some offense. Appropriate for Smith to be on this line based on his production the past few years.

McLeod / Sissons / Watson -- Very good fourth line. I think Sissons and Watson could handle bigger roles but they'll continue to be valuable as 4th liners and penalty killers. Lavy loves McLeod so he sticks in the lineup.

I still want to kick McLeod to that 13th forward spot in place of Salomaki, but yeah, this is pretty close to what I was thinking would work. That Hartnell role is very close to what he was doing up here the last year or two alongside guys like Karlsson and Sedlak, so he should definitely do very well there - especially with Smith on the forecheck.

I like it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Do you guys see Kamenev making the team at all?

Maybe if we have injury problems and Fisher retires he'll get some looks, but we already have Sissons, Gaudreau and Jarnkrok for 3rd/4th center. He'd probably be better off playing 1c in Milwaukee instead of getting 8ish minutes here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad