Post-Game Talk: Press Conference over: Better food coming, bad attitude, Carey Price’s fault & 27 is not a Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
I’m watching the Bruins Leafs game and Chara skating is superior to Alzner. Not even close. His hockey IQ is superior to Alzner. Not sure what Bergevin was talking about. It’s like comparing a bicycle Alzner to a Truck Chara. Lol
My concern is Chara heard that and will punish the Habs next year.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Was is that I heard about Radu and Markov playing cards in the bus after the Habs lost to the Rangers and MB being mad about it and Max saying to him that it was "no big deal". No wonder Markov and Radu didn't sign back, they must have thought this purple-wearing fool is insane. So MB is directly responsible for the Habs sucking.
Whether or not that story is true... there is no opinion or view where MB is not directly responsible for the Habs sucking. This is finally "his" team. This isn't the team he inherited that kept winning. This is his vision. His team.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Don't worry guys, because with all these great displays of skill we're seeing in the first games of the playoffs, like Panarin's OT winner, Bergevin's going to go against convention and assemble a team with even more character and the right attitude to blow all these skilled teams out of the water!

Recently we've lost Radulov and Markov (no cap space to sign them because they think they're worth more than they are), and Subban and gained Shaw and Alzner (now there's two players that are worth their cap hits because of their off the charts character), and old but full of character Weber.

That was just the beginning, Bergevin's really going to turn it up this summer! Can't wait to see the new team in the fall, it will be the team with the most character ever assembled. It will be a team straight out of a Bergevin dream.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Every fired coach gets paid unless they get a new job. It’s not unusual.
Yep I know he has to get paid for the rest of his contract. He still works for the Habs in some capacity. It's funny cause that means the only guy that Bergevin has fired is the analytics dude that told him not to trade Subban for Weber.

His staff aren't yesmen my ass.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That was just the beginning, Bergevin's really going to turn it up this summer! Can't wait to see the new team in the fall, it will be the team with the most character ever assembled. It will be a team straight out of a Bergevin dream.
The beginning was him getting into a contract dispute with his best skater as a rookie GM. That was his big entrance move.
A lot of people were under his charm and charisma, which was fair considering he had just taken over from Skeleton Man. So some thought "Ohhh, he is setting a precedent for future negotiations! Savvy! Smart!"...except he came out soon after to say nope...no precedent setting here, every player is different.

That concerned me, but hey, too early to tell anything really. Looking back however, that was a major red flag. Just one of many more to come.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m watching the Bruins Leafs game and Chara skating is superior to Alzner. Not even close. His hockey IQ is superior to Alzner. Not sure what Bergevin was talking about. It’s like comparing a bicycle Alzner to a Truck Chara. Lol

Which begets two questions:

1. Who recommended the signing of Alzner?
2. How come the bozo(s) is(are) still employed?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whether or not that story is true... there is no opinion or view where MB is not directly responsible for the Habs sucking. This is finally "his" team. This isn't the team he inherited that kept winning. This is his vision. His team.

Completely. The team is based on his lack of vision.

And, what we all have known since last summer, was finally admitted this week -- the cap room was not intended. It was a badge of dishonor left over from the failure to sign Radulov and Markov. I don't know that it was a secret but I do recall during the season how someone had argued that cap room had been intentionally left high so as to have a shot at making a splash this summer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yep I know he has to get paid for the rest of his contract. He still works for the Habs in some capacity. It's funny cause that means the only guy that Bergevin has fired is the analytics dude that told him not to trade Subban for Weber.

His staff aren't yesemen my ass.

Yeah but ... but ... what about all of those F-Bombs flying around? :sarcasm:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Was is that I heard about Radu and Markov playing cards in the bus after the Habs lost to the Rangers and MB being mad about it and Max saying to him that it was "no big deal". No wonder Markov and Radu didn't sign back, they must have thought this purple-wearing fool is insane. So MB is directly responsible for the Habs sucking.

I think we've all known this for a while.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Completely. The team is based on his lack of vision.

And, what we all have known since last summer, was finally admitted this week -- the cap room was not intended. It was a badge of dishonor left over from the failure to sign Radulov and Markov. I don't know that it was a secret but I do recall during the season how someone had argued that cap room had been intentionally left high so as to have a shot at making a splash this summer.

I like that. That Cap of Dishonor.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The beginning was him getting into a contract dispute with his best skater as a rookie GM. That was his big entrance move.
A lot of people were under his charm and charisma, which was fair considering he had just taken over from Skeleton Man. So some thought "Ohhh, he is setting a precedent for future negotiations! Savvy! Smart!"...except he came out soon after to say nope...no precedent setting here, every player is different.

That concerned me, but hey, too early to tell anything really. Looking back however, that was a major red flag. Just one of many more to come.

Did he really say that? I don't recall him saying that but yeah definitely a red flag. I should have paid more attention to what he was saying back then. But i'll admit i was pretty much under his charm. The wake up call for me was the playstation comment and the centers are not available comment. Then he did not fire MT after one of the worst collapse in the league history. Then i knew we were in big trouble lol

For a long while i thought MB was BSing us in his interviews. But really he was not. He really believes the stupidity he says. It makes him very dangerous. There's nothing more dangerous than an incompetent who thinks he is competent.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I had heard about "Russians playing cards in the playoffs" and someone being mad and this being a possibility of the Russians leaving. I didn't know that it took place after the playoffs and that Max was involved.

Oh no, I just realized my post came out completely wrong. My fault, I meant my statement for your last line and that Bergevin is an incompetent buffoon.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh no, I just realized my post came out completely wrong. My fault, I meant my statement for your last line and that Bergevin is an incompetent buffoon.

Wait a minute. Stop it right there. How is the bolded different from your previously held opinion on the subject. :skeptic::sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know what you are talking about...:sarcasm:

Easy to get confused with MB ...

28alqr.jpg

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

The truly savvy move would've been to sign both Price and Subban for 10+ years.

Bergevin became GM in may 2012 under the old CBA, which ended on September 16 2012, a full 5 months after. Quite enough time to negociate that type of contract with both of them.

If Bergevin had been paying attention to players around the league and had his wits about him, he would've been aware of where both Subban and Price were at that point.

He actually did for Price, who had one strong season at that point.

Subban was already playing first pairing in his sophomore season. Had already scored 14 goals as a rookie. Got less goals but more assists in his sophomore season as he helped Pac-DD-Cole score around 80 goals with effective breakouts.

Those two were on the cusp of being top players.

At the time, I was kinda baffled. I brushed it off to inexperience. I supposed that he gave less importance to cap efficiency in favor of something else, like keeping more space in the short term, which didn't fit with his professed 'building through the draft' schtik.

Hiring Therrien was another red flag.

The first red flag I had was on his very first day. How he seemed to pander to the media. I had a bad feeling then and even mentioned it here in the thread of his first PC, but no one noticed. Almost everybody had fallen for his big dumb smiles which came in huge contrast to skeletor's uncongenial, protein-deprived, mortician's demeanour.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The truly savvy move would've been to sign both Price and Subban for 10+ years.

Bergevin became GM in may 2012 under the old CBA, which ended on September 16 2012, a full 5 months after. Quite enough time to negociate that type of contract with both of them.

If Bergevin had been paying attention to players around the league and had his wits about him, he would've been aware of where both Subban and Price were at that point.

He actually did for Price, who had one strong season at that point.

Subban was already playing first pairing in his sophomore season. Had already scored 14 goals as a rookie. Got less goals but more assists in his sophomore season as he helped Pac-DD-Cole score around 80 goals with effective breakouts.

Those two were on the cusp of being top players.
That could have been a great move althought was never a fan of these super long deals. I would have also been fine with just 6 years for PK.
Getting into a dispute made no sense at all though. That is why BS rumors started coming out that PK was asking for the moon...because why else would a rookie GM get into it with his best skater?? Well as it turns out, it wasn't PK asking too much, it was Bergevin being the complete idiot that he is.

At the time, I was kinda baffled. I brushed it off to inexperience. I supposed that he gave less importance to cap efficiency in favor of something else, like keeping more space in the short term, which didn't fit with his professed 'building through the draft' schtik.

Hiring Therrien was another red flag.
So did I. Same with Therrien. I was really not excited to see him back, but gave him benefit of the doubt. Was pleasantly surprised during the 12-13 season where we played fast paced, but that was just a mirage.
The first red flag I had was on his very first day. How he seemed to pander to the media. I had a bad feeling then and even mentioned it here in the thread of his first PC, but no one noticed. Almost everybody had fallen for his big dumb smiles which came in huge contrast to skeletor's uncongenial, protein-deprived, mortician's demeanour.
No doubt his different attitude charmed people. Personally, I never gave two shits about that. Just like I never cared about Gauthier's attitude. But he was well prepared for that opening presser and said what many fans wanted to hear. Enough of these half ass measures, Habs need to rebuild, we need to do it through the draft, it will take some time but it is to establish long term contenders. Drafting is only just half of the job, development is equally as important. That is what I really paid attention to and focused on. I was willing to give him a couple of years because of that.

Not sure what happened after. Maybe he was incapable to adapt to a team that was better than he envisioned, or maybe he was clueless about making his plan come to fruition, or maybe he was just full of crap from the start. It doesn't matter anyways, all that I care about is that he has failed miserably and needs TGFO ASAP.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I want him to gtfo for trading Subban and not having any confidence in Chucky at center. We basically lost a Norris winner and a #1 center right there. These are just the top of my list but I hate him most of all for making me lose my passion for this team. I watched only a handful of games this season and was basically MIA from this board because there was nothing and no one to get behind this season. I used to love arguing about our team on the main boards. Everything about the 17-18 season sucked and he's sill here? I want to believe he will have a good offseason because I have no choice we're stuck with this moron due to not having any other options as GM (french thing bla bla bla) and it would be too costly to replace the entire lot of them. Also Molson has no balls to make a brash decision to fire him (yet obvious to everyone else) , you can see it clearly in his face. We drafted 7th last year, 4h this year, and we're going to be in a lottery position next year without a GM and front office philosophy change.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Geoff Molson had another interview with Rejean Tremblay for Journal De Montréal. Here are the things they spoke about:

- Molson is fully aware of the fans' frustrations and said they will change in depth the way they communicate with the fans. He said the will aim to be more transparent and improve the experience for those who attend games at the Bell Center. But it all starts by winning. He says that it's important that fans go into next season with hope.

- Like in La Presse, he spoke about hiring Paul Wilson (from National) as consultant to help communicate better. He said instead of giving people the least amount of information possible, we will give them the most without putting the players in a difficult position.

- He gives an example of the rumor that he met with Patrick Roy. He said that he never met with him.

- To further show how transparent they want to be, he goes back to the Tinordi trade. They got Bartley and Scott in return. He says that they should have been open about why Scott was included in the deal. He says it was because the Coyotes wanted to get rid of his contract. He says in such an instant, they should have said what the reason was so everyone can understand.

- He spoke about hiring a President of Hockey Ops to sit between the GM and owner. He said he's close to Marc and follows his work closely. He knows about every player Marc is negotiating with, every team he's having conversations with, and so on. He specifies that only 5 teams operate with a President of Hockey Ops and the rest of the GMs report directly to the owner. He also feels that his position can offer a different viewpoint on certain aspects of the operation.

- Tremblay asks that if Molson is so close to Marc, he must know "the plan." Molson said he does. He knows what personnel will be let go. But explains that it's next to impossible for the plan to be executed at 100% because they don't know which teams will let go of who among those still in the playoffs.

- He mentions the draft. The lottery will take place on the 28th and they will know where they will select. He says that a Rasmus Dahlin would definitely change the dynamic because they wouldn't need to find someone to play next to Weber.

- And then there's free agency. They will be very active. But at the end of the day, the decision lies with the player.

- It's already mentioned in this thread, but Molson says that trading PK was a decision they were looking into months in advance. Molson thought long and hard about moving such a superstar. And when Weber became available, the reflection to move Subban was already made. Which is why the actual trade was quick to be put together.

- It wouldn't be a Tremblay interview if he didn't ask about Francophones. Rejean notes that Molson was ready for this question and had the numbers ready for him. He says there are 37 Quebec-born players in the league, Habs have 4 of them (Danault, Drouin, Hudon, and Deslauriers). That's a little more than 10% of them.

- He also says that they do help a lot of the Francophones by investing $25M on all the rinks they built around Quebec to help get those kids into hockey. He talks about Genevieve Paquette, along with working with the Habs Foundation, works closely with Hockey Quebec. He admits they can do more. But also explains that they will miss out on some at the draft or as free agents. But he said it wouldn't be because of a lack of want or effort.

- He ended by answering a question about ticket prices. He said that when he took over the team, the Habs were third in the league in ticket prices. Now they are 8th or 9th. He said he's happy with that. He also mentions that with a 21,000-seat arena, there are a lot of the higher seats are at a popular price.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Which begets two questions:

1. Who recommended the signing of Alzner?
2. How come the bozo(s) is(are) still employed?

Really makes you wonder on this one. When asked about Alzner in Washington, Bergevin mentioned he was playing with a broken bone in the playoffs but if they wanted this guy so bad, why were they so uneducated on his decline before he was injured? I forget if it was Melnik or somebody from the media in the PC, but they were trying to ask him about how he was bumped down Washington’s depth chart well before the injury and Bergevin kept bringing up the playoffs like that’s what they were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad