Post-Game Talk: Press Conference over: Better food coming, bad attitude, Carey Price’s fault & 27 is not a Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well said.

What can we deduce from this? This tells me that there is no plan. There is no vision. All of his decisions are made minute to minute with no foresight on decisions on foundational pieces that are integral in building a hockey team.
Lack of foresight is a huge issue...

I've always wondered how when he took over this team, a team that the year prior finished 3rd last (no matter how you want to blame that year on circumstances), how he could ever think that that core group, which is essentially the same today, would be good enough to essentially add moving parts around it.

Because that's basically what he's done...moved furniture around, and to his credit, he's pretty good at those depth moves. But depth, itself, ain't going to get you far.

Depth is only as good as the front end of the roster and it's never been good enough at any point in his tenure.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Did anyone consider the possibility that Melnick, in response to having the segment pulled, told his bosses that he'll quit if they censor him again? Maybe he decided to take a day off instead of being told to taka a day off.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's the thing for me...had he addressed this his first season, the price to pay would of been more palatable and it would of been considered as part of the price to pay for his predecessors not addressing that position.

Instead 6-7yrs later, when every GM knows he's in desperate need...it's going to cost alot.

But he made his bed by anchoring himself to Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais.

Imagine they both had major or fairly important roles on this team 3yrs ago...now they're fringe NHL'ers

SMDH

Yet another example of players who were overvalued. There is definitely an issue with pro scouting -- which isn't only about properly evaluating players on other rosters as we all know, but also those on our own roster. We can now see how Subban was undervalued, as was Andrighetto, and how a slew of players acquired over the past two years, completely missed the mark. Roster management has been putrid, the whole LHD was so undervalued that they thought they could replace it during the same summer that they killed it off.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You make it sound like Bergevin is a victim of circumstance. He caused the damage that you refer to.

There's no evidence that he's a good hockey guy, or has the acumen to make the right decisions whether in a rebuild or not. In fact everything points to the opposite being true. He signed several players who weren't good enough to make it through even 1 season, traded away their superstar defenseman, and has repeatedly acquired players who play a brand of hockey from a bygone era.

He hasn't demonstrated an ability to evaluate talent, he's unable to judge how good a roster is ("improved defense"), he slots players into the wrong positions, he's stubborn in contract negotiations, he values intangibles over talent and skill. He recycles his excuses and uses "it's on me" as a thin veil while spreading blame throughout the organization

I did not mean it that way at all. Being rushed to a position where you make millions isn't really something worth sympathizing for.

MB has had a long career in the NHL not relying on skill so he understands enough of the game. Had several positions in blackhawks organization from coaching, scouting, director of player personnel to assistant GM. Just wasn't assistant GM long enough.

I think he's crumbling as core gets older and window vanishes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, to close off the Langevin and Ciccone segment, MB was asked about the Rocket and Lefebvre. Ciccone soft landed a question by couching it in sympathy for Lefebvre on account of all the players that were called up by the Habs (Ciccone, wtf) and asked what would happen with Lefebvre. MB said that Lefebvre and others would be subject to a personnel review but did add that Lefebvre was impacted by the call-ups (so this sounds as if a door is being opened to bring Lefebvre back).

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
He's not getting the big bucks just for trying and yet he keeps falling short. He's as overvalued as the players he overvalues.

But he holds everyone in his management to this "great" level of expectations.

As long as everyone tries, it's fine. Lefebvre fails repeatedly, but he tries and hey, we took some guys from him. Timmins try and didn't get great results since a while, but hey, we took some picks from him. Bergevin tries and fails at filling the team's needs repeatedly but hey, trades are hard to make.

Despite Molson saying it's unacceptable the level at which they've sunk, it seems to be fine to fail at your job as long as you have some sort of reason that they cannot tell the public for why it's happening.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
But again, by far the most alarming thing is I don’t think he sees exactly what the issue is with the defense. Yes, he may have mentioned he Mia-judged the defense. But he never spells out WHY it failed. Just that it did.

Whenever I've listened to him he never really just talks hockey. I mean, everybody has to throw out their quota of cliches but at some point don't you just want to talk some hockey?

"What exactly about the defense didn't work for you, Marc?"
"Was it....uhhhhattttitude, or did the forwards not help out on outlets enough(no work ethic)? Were the D screening Price too much(lazy in front)? etc...

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

As long as everyone tries, it's fine. Lefebvre fails repeatedly, but he tries and hey, we took some guys from him. Timmins try and didn't get great results since a while, but hey, we took some picks from him. Bergevin tries and fails at filling the team's needs repeatedly but hey, trades are hard to make.

Despite Molson saying it's unacceptable the level at which they've sunk, it seems to be fine to fail at your job as long as you have some sort of reason that they cannot tell the public for why it's happening.

The failings are all transparent. The reasons for the status quo going into a 7th season, are not.

No one said we'd get 100% transparency.

Plus, you never know if another GM is not listening and maybe even reading this forum. :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yet another example of players who were overvalued. There is definitely an issue with pro scouting -- which isn't only about properly evaluating players on other rosters as we all know, but also those on our own roster. We can now see how Subban was undervalued, as was Andrighetto, and how a slew of players acquired over the past two years, completely missed the mark. Roster management has been putrid, the whole LHD was so undervalued that they thought they could replace it during the same summer that they killed it off.
Thing that gets me is you don't have to be an expert pro scout to tell you that Tomas Plekanec and David Desharnais, even when at their prime, just weren't good enough to compete with other teams for the ultimate prize.

Their performances in the playoffs, when it mattered, vs other teams best, should of been enough to tell you they weren't

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
The failings are all transparent. The reasons for the status quo going into a 7th season, are not.

No one said we'd get 100% transparency.

Plus, you never know if another GM is not listening and maybe even reading this forum. :sarcasm:

Maybe the transparency was a Casperetty joke.
The entire team is going to fade into the land of wind and ghosts where no one will ever criticize them.

Reactions: Runner77

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
There is no way to fix the problem in Montreal if your clueless GM does not admit there even is a problem.......all he ever say's....Carey needs to be better and he knows that......and attitude.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's fine guys, Marc just need to keep working on the 4 pillars of success and the solution will undoubtedly present itself.

UNNzYQT.png

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
People need to lose their jobs, plain an simple.

There is absolutely ZERO logic behind retaining Lefebvre and staff, Daigneault and Lacroix, Dudley & Carriere plus the pro scouting staff. Zero f***ing logic.

It borders on insanity that we aren’t cleaning house.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
People need to lose their jobs, plain an simple.

There is absolutely ZERO logic behind retaining Lefebvre and staff, Daigneault and Lacroix, Dudley & Carriere plus the pro scouting staff. Zero ****ing logic.

It borders on insanity that we aren’t cleaning house.
It's even more insane, to keep the clown that hired them ALL.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

His country club has the right attitude,that must be it

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Did anyone consider the possibility that Melnick, in response to having the segment pulled, told his bosses that he'll quit if they censor him again? Maybe he decided to take a day off instead of being told to taka a day off.

The producer also took the day off.

I'm guessing someone at Bell said the interview was handled poorly and told both to take tomorrow off and think about why. Then the interview went viral and they had to put it back up. I'm betting he says nothing about it.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Usually I'd say you guys are trying too hard to see drama where there isn't but with Russ Amber's tweet earlier this year I wouldn't be surprised if Melnick got censored for real.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I just read elsewhere that Molson recently said the decision to trade Subban came about 6 months before the trade happened. Where did Molson say this? The year end PC?

I'm sure the topic was discussed in one of the threads here somewhere earlier but reading this on another Habs related site today is the first I've heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad