Post-Game Talk: Press Conference over: Better food coming, bad attitude, Carey Price’s fault & 27 is not a Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
I just read elsewhere that Molson recently said the decision to trade Subban came about 6 months before the trade happened. Where did Molson say this? The year end PC?

I'm sure the topic was discussed in one of the threads here somewhere earlier but reading this on another Habs related site today is the first I've heard of it.
He said this in an interview on a Radio show where he was alone,I don't remember which,perhaps @Runner77 can help us here

Reactions: sheed36

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
So, to close off the Langevin and Ciccone segment, MB was asked about the Rocket and Lefebvre. Ciccone soft landed a question by couching it in sympathy for Lefebvre on account of all the players that were called up by the Habs (Ciccone, wtf) and asked what would happen with Lefebvre. MB said that Lefebvre and others would be subject to a personnel review but did add that Lefebvre was impacted by the call-ups (so this sounds as if a door is being opened to bring Lefebvre back).

So no one is losing their jobs, unbelievable :help:

So Bergevin gets another shot..."we have attitude issues in the room"
The management staff gets another shot..."they are not yes men"
The scouting staff gets another shot..."its hard to build prospects with picks in the bottom of the 1st round"
Lefebvre gets another shot..."his job is hard with all the call-ups and the lack of prospects due to picking in the bottom of the 1st round"

Everyone is doing their best guys :laugh:

durojean

May 29, 2007
Lefevbre won't get another shot. They will sacrifice Larry Carriere and actually promote Lefevbre to make place for Ducharme/Bouchard.

Ducharme/Bouchard is a really good decision... promoting Lefebvre is an aberation.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I truly expect a few things for next season- Habs will be in the hunt for a lottery pick and Price will be no better.

I think Price was unwise to sign that contract because now he will not be able to be traded. He is stuck here playing for a bunch of clueless clowns.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How many people has Bergevin actually fired? Therrien and the analytics guy? It won't surprise me if he keeps his current staff including the assistant coaches and not make any changes. Nepotism at its finest.

Even Therrien wasn't fired. Wasn't he reassigned to scout in western Canada?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just read elsewhere that Molson recently said the decision to trade Subban came about 6 months before the trade happened. Where did Molson say this? The year end PC?

I'm sure the topic was discussed in one of the threads here somewhere earlier but reading this on another Habs related site today is the first I've heard of it.

I just heard Marinaro discuss an interview Geoff gave to Mr. Congeniality, Reggie Tremblay, in which the decision to trade Subban was apparently discussed more candidly than ever before. Haven't read the piece.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I truly expect a few things for next season- Habs will be in the hunt for a lottery pick and Price will be no better.

I think Price was unwise to sign that contract because now he will not be able to be traded. He is stuck here playing for a bunch of clueless clowns.

Actually, Price can always wave his no-trade clause. You're right about how tradeable the contract might be -- we'd have to wait a few years for the front load years of the deal to have elapsed and by then Price will be 35. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The scouting staff gets another shot..."its hard to build prospects with picks in the bottom of the 1st round"
Lefebvre gets another shot..."his job is hard with all the call-ups and the lack of prospects due to picking in the bottom of the 1st round"

You nailed it.

And don't forget the absolute gauge of competence -- F-Bombs fly out and about all the time!!!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lefevbre won't get another shot. They will sacrifice Larry Carriere and actually promote Lefevbre to make place for Ducharme/Bouchard.

Ducharme/Bouchard is a really good decision... promoting Lefebvre is an aberation.

In what world is getting rid of Carrière, a "sacrifice"? :laugh:

I'm sure you meant jettison. :wg:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

When Subban went rogue on them, and promised to raise and donate 10M is when the organization decided, PK was going to get traded...he did this on his own, and Molson and the rest of the cronies did not like PK acting on his own, without the team.
The Habs just don't deserve good things...they bring it on themselves.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Even Therrien wasn't fired. Wasn't he reassigned to scout in western Canada?

He was given scout credentials. I think it was largely so he can attend games in Florida and network, and claim he is still involved so he can look for another job. It’s happened a few times - I think Randy Carlyle scouted for the Leafs after he was gassed.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The producer also took the day off.

I'm guessing someone at Bell said the interview was handled poorly and told both to take tomorrow off and think about why. Then the interview went viral and they had to put it back up. I'm betting he says nothing about it.

Rod the producer was in.

Based on Melnick’s tweet, this may be scheduled time off. He is basically the engine room of the station, and he’s been critical of Bergevin for some time now, so I would be a little surprised if they didn’t back him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Too soon to make that assumption, no?

There needs to be a ton of changes, Molson himself said this would happen.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So I heard the translated transcript of MB talking about the Subban trade.

Even people who hate the trade can’t reasonably expect him to say it was a bad move. Ultimately time will judge.

My issue is that one of his comments, paraphrasing, is that “at the time I made the trade, several other NHL GMs thought it was a great deal for us.”

To me, this is intellectually weak. Your job is not subject to peer review or approval, so on the first instance it is wholly irrelevant. Secondly, it’s a laze groupthink/appeal to authority argument. “Here I am, running with the herd.” Ultimately you want to separate yourself from your peers, which requires independent thinking and the courage of your convictions.

In hockey culture, Shea Weber is universally lauded. Regardless of your thoughts on the trade, Poile was willing to go against the old guard and make the trade. He wasn’t looking for plaudits from Babcock, Yzerman etc.

Time will judge the trade, it always does. In the final evaluation, nobody says “the other GMs thought it was a good deal”.

Again - I wholly expect him to defend the trade, but this specific justification grates. I think it speaks to his old guard way of thinking.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I just heard Marinaro discuss an interview Geoff gave to Mr. Congeniality, Reggie Tremblay, in which the decision to trade Subban was apparently discussed more candidly than ever before. Haven't read the piece.

Short of it. The PK trade had been considered, by Molson and Bergevin -- and whoever else in the organization -- months prior to the actual move. They had already come to a consensus that they would be willing to make the trade if the right opportunity came along.

The offer may have been sudden, but the management and ownership group was already on board to agree to trade P.K.

Obviously (my take), the right move needed to replace P.K on D and they wouldn't have entertained a move to get a C without getting a replacement D for P.K.

Likely why we didn't see a trade for Hall (who is also really a winger).

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Another example was him immediately pointing to other GMs building from the net out in his defence for having the lowest scoring team out there.
Everything he does is based on bygone ideologies and warped reputations spread across the league.

He is intellectually incapable of critical-thinking.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the subject of personnel who won't have to fear for their jobs, there's this collection of Habs employees who were spotted by Hinse77, scouting at a recent game where he was in attendance:

Okay. So here te sommary of the game i watched sherbrooke phoenix against titan. I was sit behind montreal canadiens staff (timmins,churla,lapointe,riendeau,audette,the old guy from us with glass and chubby... honestly. I tried to bring here some information but timmins were very very not in favour to give me some BUT. I didnt know and i was sat across denis fugere, the amateur scout from la kings. He told me : dont lose your time with thme. Its the omerta. I wil. Tell you some...

If any of these were going to get the axe, they wouldn't be scouting for us right now.

Timmins, Churla, Lapointe, Riendeau, Audette all returning.

Now, who is this "old guy" with glasses and "chubby"?

BadHabit

Mar 29, 2006
Canada

Even people who hate the trade can’t reasonably expect him to say it was a bad move. Ultimately time will judge.

My issue is that one of his comments, paraphrasing, is that “at the time I made the trade, several other NHL GMs thought it was a great deal for us.”

To me, this is intellectually weak. Your job is not subject to peer review or approval, so on the first instance it is wholly irrelevant. Secondly, it’s a laze groupthink/appeal to authority argument. “Here I am, running with the herd.” Ultimately you want to separate yourself from your peers, which requires independent thinking and the courage of your convictions.

In hockey culture, Shea Weber is universally lauded. Regardless of your thoughts on the trade, Poile was willing to go against the old guard and make the trade. He wasn’t looking for plaudits from Babcock, Yzerman etc.

Time will judge the trade, it always does. In the final evaluation, nobody says “the other GMs thought it was a good deal”.

Again - I wholly expect him to defend the trade, but this specific justification grates. I think it speaks to his old guard way of thinking.

Time will judge the trade... really? Time HAS judged the trade already.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

You would never hear him say, "Several GMs thought my Diaz for Weise trade was bad, so I guess it was bad"

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Guys don't worry, Alzner is going to pull a Chara, I believe! He is going to regain his reputation as a mediocre top 6 D...I'n Marc we trust!

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I’m watching the Bruins Leafs game and Chara skating is superior to Alzner. Not even close. His hockey IQ is superior to Alzner. Not sure what Bergevin was talking about. It’s like comparing a bicycle Alzner to a Truck Chara. Lol

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad