OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wr 2 going to be by a committee people wanted Reyndolds from the lions Willson can match his numbers as a rookie

He is probably the lead gunner now that Pierre and Boykin are gone at the minimum

WR2 by committee sounds as bad as it probably is lol…no threat on the outside means Pickens will be double teamed and he’s not the best at getting open anyhow…also we’ll be treated to his frustration on the sideline lol

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean we drafted a guy who got in trouble for a fake idea and under age drinking not some one with type 1 diabetes who like GP takes olays off and gets made when he isn’t targeted

They have 3 picks left unless they trade for more they weren’t drafting 2

The best thing is Wilson is already used to a low amount of targets or he would have gone much higher.

He is all about the team and winning - he’s the kind of guy I have been begging for them to get at WR.

You win playoff games with guys like Wilson, not clowns like DJ.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The best thing is Wilson is already used to a low amount of targets or he would have gone much higher.

He is all about the team and winning - he’s the kind of guy I have been begging for them to get at WR.

You win playoff games with guys like Wilson, not clowns like DJ.
Sure if you scheme him open and keep him off press he will be fine. He will be good with cheat motion like ca3

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
WR2 by committee sounds as bad as it probably is lol…no threat on the outside means Pickens will be double teamed and he’s not the best at getting open anyhow…also we’ll be treated to his frustration on the sideline lol

Wilson is probably the best route runner in the draft, has elite hands and is really twitchy with over the top speed.

There is nothing preventing him from playing outside anymore than there was AB and DJ who all have similar builds.

Sure if you scheme him open and keep him off press he will be fine. He will be good with cheat motion like ca3

Why does he need to be schemed open anymore than AB and DJ when they came into the league?

Did they have Hulk strength I was unaware of?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wilson is probably the best route runner in the draft, has elite hands and is really twitchy with over the top speed.

There is nothing preventing him from playing outside anymore than there was AB and DJ who all have similar builds.

Why does he need to be schemed open anymore than AB and DJ when they came into the league?

Yeah, he might have that upside…we’ll see..I see TE is being mocked to the Steelers too in 4th round…with our new OC and that position possibly being the best value, I wouldn’t be surprised…also Muth is injured a lot and may not get a second contract

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
In Denver they used a ton max protection and 3 wr runing deep routes i look forward to Gp getting 150 targets more targets for muth and the rbs guys like willson running crossers and drag routes after Ca3 runs deep and runs off the coverage

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

He isn’t close to the route runner as dj or AB. You wouldn’t dare press m2m either but teams in college weren’t scared to press willson.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He isn’t close to the route runner as dj or AB. You wouldn’t dare press m2m either but teams in college weren’t scared to press willson.

You are mixing up NFL AB and DJ with who they were in college.

Both dropped because they were considered undersize slot guys with strength issues.

Here is Zeirlein’s write up on DJ his draft year:

Play strength is below average. Needs to trust the route. Tends to freelance and can throw timing of the route off. Very raw getting in and out of his breaks. Will need to play with much better balance and footwork in routes. Lacks desired length and size for deep ball wins. Contested catches could be a problem for him at the next level. Focus drops are an issue for him. Has issues pulling in balls outside his frame. Doesn't play with sudden hands.

An AFC scout also said similar things:

He plays with a lot of flare, but I just wonder if it's sustainable when he has better size and quickness over him

Same deal with AB:

Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Yeah if Wilson can’t transition to the outside, it won’t be because of his size. This is the biggest knock I’ve seen listening to some pods and reading a few scouting reports. Seems like he’s gonna have to become a more polished route runner.

Which is something that can be developed so we’ll see.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah if Wilson can’t transition to the outside, it won’t be because of his size. This is the biggest knock I’ve seen listening to some pods and reading a few scouting reports. Seems like he’s gonna have to become a more polished route runner.

Which is something that can be developed so we’ll see.

Yeah hes an elite separator in college but still has polishing to do. If hes capable of tightening up those issues he could be elite as far as getting open.

Thats the exact type of reciever i wanted. Its why i like Mcconkey so much.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Pickens thrived last season in the four games where DJ and Muth were injured and he was the focus of everything. No scrub defences involved either. Small sample so I'm not super confident, but I am more worried about what happens if Pickens is injured than if teams decide to focus super hard on Pickens.

At least I hope I'm right as I feel like the number of potential opportunities to get a better WR than Van Jefferson and Roman Wilson are now pretty low.

Reactions: Andy99

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Pickens thrived last season in the four games where DJ and Muth were injured and he was the focus of everything. No scrub defences involved either. Small sample so I'm not super confident, but I am more worried about what happens if Pickens is injured than if teams decide to focus super hard on Pickens.

At least I hope I'm right as I feel like the number of potential opportunities to get a better WR than Van Jefferson and Roman Wilson are now pretty low.
No he didn’t GP in that stretch had 1 100 game his 2nd came against Bmore he had 4 catches a game in that stretch.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No he didn’t GP in that stretch had 1 100 game his 2nd came against Bmore he had 4 catches a game in that stretch.

Pickens without DJ and Muth vs CLE/LVR/HOU/BAL -

33 targets, 17 receptions, 357 yards, 2 TDs, which over a 17 game season would have been a 1500 yard season with 8 TDs

You'd wish he'd come down with more receptions from those targets but those are thriving numbers and that is hard mode sole focus.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The simple fact is that Frazier and Wilson have a much higher value than Mitchell and whatever center that they reached for in round three.
Agreed. This is the key to the draft.

And as much as I advocated the idea of taking a center in round one, adding Troy instead of Barton or JPJ worked out too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017

33 targets, 17 receptions, 357 yards, 2 TDs, which over a 17 game season would have been a 1500 yard season with 8 TDs

You'd wish he'd come down with more receptions from those targets but those are thriving numbers and that is hard mode sole focus.
And thats in an anemic offense

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Muth played against Cleveland. He got hurt against Houston. GP had the most success down the stretch with Mason at Qb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad