WJC: Predictions for U20 WJC 2023/2024

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1702751323349.png

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I'm changing my predictions. US roster has gone to shit.

Gold: Sweden
Silver: Canada
Bronze: USA

I hope to be wrong, but this coach gives off a terrible early impression.
P.B. and I have a few things in common. We both think Sweden will win, and we both support the same man for president.

If you REALLY squint, you can see us waving in this pic...

1702776499534.png

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Current betting odds have USA as the slight favorites over Sweden and then Canada

View attachment 785124

Based on skaters only that seems to be a fair evaluation. However, I feel like Finland, Czechia and Slovakia should, under normal circumstances, get superior goaltending and it doesn't look like that was taken into account. Therefore, if I wanted to risk any money, I'd bet on those three teams. Sweden still has to be favourite in my book though because it's their home tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Based on skaters only that seems to be a fair evaluation. However, I feel like Finland, Czechia and Slovakia should, under normal circumstances, get superior goaltending and it doesn't look like that was taken into account. Therefore, if I wanted to risk any money, I'd bet on those three teams. Sweden still has to be favourite in my book though because it's their home tournament.
That can work against them. There can be a lot of pressure to win in front of the home fans.

Reactions: Czechboy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That Group B looks weak. Easy times for the USA to make the medal round. (Although they would regardless of grouping)
Did you realize that there's a quarterfinal between group games and the medal round?
Fun fact, 16 months ago, in Edmonton, the Amerks won their group just to lose their quarterfinals. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose vs Czechia again. Hrabal is a beast.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Did you realize that there's a quarterfinal between group games and the medal round, right?
Fun fact, 16 months ago, in Edmonton, the Amerks won their group just to lose their quarterfinals. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose vs Czechia again. Hrabal is a beast.
I do, and with the USA almost assured 1st by the grouping they have a better path.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I do, and with the USA almost assured 1st by the grouping they have a better path.
Did you read my post? The Amerks won their group in Edmonton just to lose vs Czechia:popcorn:
Don't see them win their group anyway since they're most likely gonna lose vs Czechia again but even if they do I'm not sure it's gonna be much of an advantage. Group games are honestly just about getting the team to click and not finishing in last place.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Did you read my post? The Amerks won their group in Edmonton just to lose vs Czechia:popcorn:
Don't see them win their group anyway since they're most likely gonna lose vs Czechia again but even if they do I'm not sure it's gonna be much of an advantage. Group games are honestly just about getting the team to click and not finishing in last place.
I did, and suggesting an upset again because there was an upset in the past is bad betting.

• Haha
Reactions: Hinterland

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Feel like Canada’s roster has somehow become underrated. Even missing 5 guys to the NHL and Wright.

Don’t see that big of a difference between their and USA’s roster talent wise. Maybe 1 or 2 high end guys away from being equal.
Well 1 or 2 high end guys is a big difference.

Macman

May 15, 2004
A little perspective on Canada “struggles” in Europe: Canada has won seven gold medals in Europe which is more than every other country in this tournament, including Russia.

If Canada struggles in Europe, then everyone else struggles even more.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
A little perspective on Canada “struggles” in Europe: Canada has won seven gold medals in Europe which is more than every other country in this tournament, including Russia.
It appears to be something some european fans like to hang on as a keepsake, that and our supposed goonery.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well 1 or 2 high end guys is a big difference.
No it isn’t. Canada is usually much further ahead on paper compared to other teams than that.

Canada is closer to the USA this year than USA or any country is most years to Canada purely talent wise.

This year, USA looks a bit better with a ton of guys from last year coming back. Canada are a Korchinski and maybe Benson away at most.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’m gonna give the edge to Canada, I think USA will be playing a run and gun style that won’t be good enough come medal rounds. I think Canada will be systemically better than USA despite having less talent

• Haha
Reactions: Reggae Shark

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have the same predicted final three...

Who will win World Juniors in 2024? Odds, picks, predictions and more to know about all 10 teams​

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Just can't bet against my home country. I think Canada takes it. Should be real fun this year!

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
No it isn’t. Canada is usually much further ahead on paper compared to other teams than that.

Canada is closer to the USA this year than USA or any country is most years to Canada purely talent wise.

This year, USA looks a bit better with a ton of guys from last year coming back. Canada are a Korchinski and maybe Benson away at most.
Canada's team this year isn't as good as last year's, US team this year is better than last year's, Finland's team is better than last years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad