WJC: Predictions for U20 WJC 2023/2024

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This year is very difficult to predict between These five: Sweden, Canada, the US, Slovakia and the Czechs.

Czechs really showed they can battle when it matters. Also, I hold Kulich, Sapovaliv and perhaps the underaged Sale just as good or better than any Canadian forward this year. Those two guys that I mentioned first seem to be reliable as well, more than Savoie and perhaps even a young but still very talented Celebrini. Sale is still a bit raw but boy can he dominate when he's on it.
Not impressed by Hrabal yet, not like Suchanek. Also, is Jiricek out for good?

Slovakia then? Wowzers, they have three very competitive lines at least that can hurt any opponent. Rado and Strbak and a reliable goalie makes them a contender.
I sometimes get the impression that they have the most depth amongst forwards together with the US. Forwards that have some speed and can be crucial in a sequence. Actually something Finland lacks the most compared to these teams.

Sweden are still big, big favorites. I held them and the US a bit better han Canada before the tournament and they haven't shown me wrong. They have elite level on the offensive side on PP, both at the backend and amongst forwards. Hävelid was better than I expected against Canada.

Canada? To be honest, they are a gold contender still. If they play that aggressive type of hockey they will be up there. I mean, I can only see this loss against Sweden making them better and realizing they' ll have to play their hearts out. Because this year they aren't the most skilled out there. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they won against Sweden in a rematch during the playoffs. It's just so even.
Savoie needs to show more. Rehkopf?

The Us? I mean their college stars and depth should be a tier above the most teams but let's see what happens.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This year is very difficult to predict between These five: Sweden, Canada, the US, Slovakia and the Czechs.

Czechs really showed they can battle when it matters. Also, I hold Kulich, Sapovaliv and perhaps the underaged Sale just as good or better than any Canadian forward this year. Those two guys that I mentioned first seem to be reliable as well, more than Savoie and perhaps even a young but still very talented Celebrini. Sale is still a bit raw but boy can he dominate when he's on it.

Slovakia then? Wowzers, they have three very competitive lines at least that can hurt any opponent. Rado and Strbak and a reliable goalie makes them a contender.
I sometimes get the impression that they have the most depth amongst forwards together with the US. Forwards that have some speed and can be crucial in a sequence. Actually something Finland lacks the most compared to these teams.

Sweden are still big, big favorites. I held them and the US a bit better han Canada before the tournament and they haven't shown me wrong. They have elite level on the offensive side on PP, both at the backend and amongst forwards. Hävelid was better than I expected against Canada.

Canada? To be honest, they are a gold contender still. If they play that aggressive type of hockey they will be up there. I mean, I can only see this loss against Sweden making them better and realizing they' ll have to play their hearts out. Because this year they aren't the most skilled out there. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they won against Sweden in a rematch during the playoffs. It's just so even.

The Us? I mean their college stars and depth should be a tier above the most teams but let's see what happens.
I think you pretty much nailed that.

• Love
Reactions: Svedu

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Power Rankings:

1. USA-I think you still have to say they are the favorites. They haven't lost a game yet in the pre tournament or tournament. They've played virtually all the best teams so far in those games. The way to beat them is hit their small and soft players, and win the goalie battle, but that's easier said than done, especially the second part.

2. Sweden-They've been very good so far and are on home ice, but they never struggle in the first round. It's when we get to elimination games they start struggling. I think if it came to it in a real fast paced offensive game they'll struggle to match USA's firepower. I think they have the best chance to knock off the Americans though.

3. Slovakia-Am I really putting them ahead of Canada? Yes, I am. The reason is because I think they play like a team and know how they are going to have success. Goaltending, playing hard, and getting opportunistic offense. This is their deepest forward group in a long time also.

4. Canada-This is the worst Canadian team since I've been watching this tournament. They are seriously bad. Guys like Allard and Rousseau have been among their best players, and would ordinarily never make the Canadian team. They are missing a lot of players, so don't discount that. They also still are like 2nd or 3rd based on talent, so they could win gold. Potentially they find it here soon, but I think goaltending, defense, and forwards are weak for what it normally is and coaching might be the worst part of the team.

5. Czechia-They are a little like the Slovaks, but I think they play heavier and not as fast. Forward depth isn't as strong either, but I think they may have a little more firepower. A guy like Kulich could be the best player in the tournament this year. They really showed they can hang with the big boys against USA. They could easily knock off one of the big teams, and contend for a medal.

6. Finland-I have very low expectations for Finland. They don't have any of the sisu they once had, and they aren't that talented either. I like their goaltending. They have some forwards and some defensemen that also are able to make a difference, but they don't play like a team, they have some truly terrible no-show performances, and they have gradually declined in the talent department. I wouldn't want to say they can't medal, but I think it's unlikely.

Reactions: Goodman68 and helax

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Canada-This is the worst Canadian team since I've been watching this tournament.
2019 was probably worse in terms of pure talent on the roster (and the only team I can remember that was worse coached), but Alan Letang with his ice time utilization for certain players is trying his best to unseat Tim Hunter and Steve Spott as the worst Canadian coaches in recent memory

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2019 was probably worse in terms of pure talent on the roster (and the only team I can remember that was worse coached), but Alan Letang with his ice time utilization for certain players is trying his best to unseat Tim Hunter and Steve Spott as the worst Canadian coaches in recent memory
That 2019 team has like 8 players who are going to play 500 games or more. Do you think this team has that many?

Agree about the coaching putting this bad team over the top for how bad, but I think it’s an unfortunate situation where most of the players who would’ve ordinarily made the team and turned into those players are already in the NHL or weren’t available.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
That 2019 team has like 8 players who are going to play 500 games or more. Do you think this team has that many?

Agree about the coaching putting this bad team over the top for how bad, but I think it’s an unfortunate situation where most of the players who would’ve ordinarily made the team and turned into those players are already in the NHL or weren’t available.
We knew there would be a lot of great players not here due to NHL commitments, but people are more upset about the number of talented guys that could have been here but were cut or not even invited to camp. Firkus or Heidt (the latter leading the WHL in scoring) come to mind.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

I actually think the tactical elements they’re employing on special teams aren’t as bad a 2019, but like in 2019 Celebrini and Lafrenière (in a year in which he was the best player in the CHL) are being under utilized and the coaching staff is relying too heavily on role players instead of consolidating all the talent in the top 6 and riding them as much as possible.

As for 500 games, I would see roughly the same amount. I just think Tim Hunter was content dumping and chasing teams to death, which did not work given the roster he was given. Time will tell with L’étang

Reactions: Statsy

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Prediction:

Canadians blame their loss so far on that they don’t have their best players. Otherwise they will own us all.

Period.
Not sure if you are trolling but I will play along just in case you are not. There is no other team at this tourney that could lose their top 4 centres, top two defencemen, a top 4 Dman and it looks like you can throw in Savoie and still have a chance to win this thing. I'm also including the USA in that regard.

Having said the above I'm more involved in this team than any in years. Canada needs to be first to the puck, play a hard nosed forecheck and skating game and outwork every other team. I'm excited to see them embrace the challenge.

Period.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Jiricek is out! And it looks bad. They are saying he won't be at the U18's... imagine him and Galvas at the U18 in a few months? That'd be tough to deal with. Nonetheless, sounds like ACL (speculation not fact) and enjoy rehab to me.

• Wow
Reactions: Svedu

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Not sure if you are trolling but I will play along just in case you are not. There is no other team at this tourney that could lose their top 4 centres, top two defencemen, a top 4 Dman and it looks like you can throw in Savoie and still have a chance to win this thing. I'm also including the USA in that regard.

Having said the above I'm more involved in this team than any in years. Canada needs to be first to the puck, play a hard nosed forecheck and skating game and outwork every other team. I'm excited to see them embrace the challenge.

Period.

Nobody cares about Canada not having their full squad. You should be able to win with any squad because you have over 520 000 registered players compared to:

Sweden: 61 000 under 20 = 43 000
Finland: 66 000 under 20 = 35 000
Czechia: 34 000 under 20 = 23 000
Switzerland: 29 000 under 20 = 16 000
Germany: 21 000 under 20 = 13 000
Latvia: 8 000 under 20 = 2 000
Norway: 8 500 under 20 = 6 000
Slovakia: 11 000 under 20 = 8 000

Total 238 000 vs Canada 520 000

Canada has 360 000 players registered under age 20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is one of the weakest years of this tournament I can remember.

Canada looks flat out not Canada. Slovakia lost 10-2 today, and we're all calling them a medal contender. This is probably a weaker Czechia team than the one that wasn't able to medal last year. Finland lost to Germany, who is in the relegation game.

Can anyone other than Sweden and USA win Gold?

Revising my predictions to:

Gold: USA
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Czechia

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
This is one of the weakest years of this tournament I can remember.

Canada looks flat out not Canada. Slovakia lost 10-2 today, and we're all calling them a medal contender. This is probably a weaker Czechia team than the one that wasn't able to medal last year. Finland lost to Germany, who is in the relegation game.

Can anyone other than Sweden and USA win Gold?

Revising my predictions to:

Gold: USA
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Czechia
Did Czechs make the final last year?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechia team than the one that wasn't able to medal last year.
We are defending silver medalists.

This team is weaker than last years team.

Amazingly, next years team is stronger than this year and may equal 2 years ago. Our silver Hlinka kids are coming up. Hrabal will be 19. Sale will be back. And the D core looks beautiful... Badinka, Jiricek, Galvas, Dvorak, Port, Fibigr, Svozil

Reactions: czechcanadian

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are defending silver medalists.

This team is weaker than last years team.

Amazingly, next years team is stronger than this year and may equal 2 years ago. Our silver Hlinka kids are coming up. Hrabal will be 19. Sale will be back. And the D core looks beautiful... Badinka, Jiricek, Galvas, Dvorak, Port, Fibigr, Svozil
Yeah, sorry, I was mixing up the Canada game as the Bronze or Gold game.

I think if Hrabal plays well you guys have a good chance at medaling again this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad