WJC: Predictions for U20 WJC 2023/2024

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I have a question: If Russia and Belarus come back one day; Would it make sense to have 12 teams instead of 10 in this U20 championship in the future?
Belarus has no business being in the WJC and should start from Division II B and climb their way up, so no.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seeing some betting markets up for the tournament, and have Canada as the favourite, with Sweden second, and USA third.

This just seems...way off. Relative to most years, Canada is bringing a much weaker roster to this tournament. They should not be listed as the favourite. Probably should be USA/SWE as close to tied for most likely to win, followed by Canada after a decent gap.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Seeing some betting markets up for the tournament, and have Canada as the favourite, with Sweden second, and USA third.

This just seems...way off. Relative to most years, Canada is bringing a much weaker roster to this tournament. They should not be listed as the favourite. Probably should be USA/SWE as close to tied for most likely to win, followed by Canada after a decent gap.
I feel the fact that Canada is coming off consecutive tournament victories is being factored into the betting more than it should. WJC teams have so much turnover year to year that you can’t judge by what happened a year ago.

However, it’s also possible that we on this board are overly focused on the minutia, and are overlooking the big picture about Canada’s overall developmental depth. Perhaps, we can’t see the forest for the trees. I guess we’ll see soon enough.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I feel the fact that Canada is coming off consecutive tournament victories is being factored into the betting more than it should. WJC teams have so much turnover year to year that you can’t judge by what happened a year ago.

However, it’s also possible that we on this board are overly focused on the minutia, and are overlooking the big picture about Canada’s overall developmental depth. Perhaps, we can’t see the forest for the trees. I guess we’ll see soon enough.
Oh, the bolded is definitely true. The opening odds are just because "it's Canada" and they've won the last couple tournaments. But the roster is drastically different. Canada only has 1 returnee this year.

Compared to the USA, the talent down the lineup is just not comparable. USA has better goaltending options. I don't see how Canada can be the listed favourite here.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

:rolleyes:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes. Canadian insecurity is rampant at HF. It's exhausting.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Finland's team was already looking very bad and now they're missing their best player in Kemell. This tournament is going to be a disaster for Finland. Bad defense. Bad coach.

Reactions: Svedu and king89

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
hows the czech team this year they were runners up last year.. are they looking better then finland since i keep seeing posts about finland having down year/team?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
hows the czech team this year they were runners up last year.. are they looking better then finland since i keep seeing posts about finland having down year/team?
Keep in mind I'm referring to a Czech team and not a Canadian one here.

We are pretty solid in all positions.

Very strong first line that could compete with anyone and then decent forwards from 4 to 12.

Our D is very good for Czech standards and probably our second best D core in a decade (we'll never match last season)

Our G should've been better but they left behind 3 good goalies.. one was injured and then Milota and Matecha. Strange decision but our 1 is a legit great goalie in Hrabal.

So no major weaknesses and seem to have a good goalie and d core.

For Canadian/US/Sweden standards - we are not as good on paper and it will come down to intangibles if we want to win our quarter.

I'd say the sleeper this year is Slovakia who could be a real pain in the ass come the quarter finals. And they're missing 2 NHLers.

Finland, with no research, is probably better than what is being said here. We will see. I just can't fathom them sucking as they've been good for a long time now. Some key players missing though.

Reactions: Goodman68

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Keep in mind I'm referring to a Czech team and not a Canadian one here.

We are pretty solid in all positions.

Very strong first line that could compete with anyone and then decent forwards from 4 to 12.

Our D is very good for Czech standards and probably our second best D core in a decade (we'll never match last season)

Our G should've been better but they left behind 3 good goalies.. one was injured and then Milota and Matecha. Strange decision but our 1 is a legit great goalie in Hrabal.

So no major weaknesses and seem to have a good goalie and d core.

For Canadian/US/Sweden standards - we are not as good on paper and it will come down to intangibles if we want to win our quarter.

I'd say the sleeper this year is Slovakia who could be a real pain in the ass come the quarter finals. And they're missing 2 NHLers.

Finland, with no research, is probably better than what is being said here. We will see. I just can't fathom them sucking as they've been good for a long time now. Some key players missing though.
slovak team way better on paper then the swiss this year?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
slovak team way better on paper then the swiss this year?
Paper.. I'd say yes. However
.. some very good Swiss posters on here that are always objective and fair on their teams. I'll defer to them.

In general... I think Slovakia is rising again though.

Reactions: hockey20000

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Canada sent their absolute best on 3 occasions at the WJC. Lock-out years. Won gold twice, failed to medal (4th or 5th I think) the other time.
That’s why 2013 is my favorite year ever. We finally beat them best on best. God bless Johnny Gaudreau.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That 2 seed in the Czech/Slovak/USA group seems important. At least one of those three talented teams is likely to play a quarterfinal against Canada or Sweden.
The crossover sucks... I could see all 3 medals going to the other group.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Finland's team was already looking very bad and now they're missing their best player in Kemell. This tournament is going to be a disaster for Finland. Bad defense. Bad coach.
They always play to more than the sum of their parts. I expect nothing less.

Sweden is who I think is going to win. Home ice, great roster this age group has a winning pedigree.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Mctavishthegoalie23

Dec 9, 2023
Feeling like Canada Craps the bed this year

WJC 2024 Predictions (Final)

Group A:

1.Sweden 🇸🇪

2.Finland 🇫🇮

3.Canada 🇨🇦

4.Germany 🇩🇪

5.Latvia 🇱🇻

Group B:

1.USA 🇺🇸

2.Slovakia 🇸🇰

3.Czechia 🇨🇿

4.Switzerland 🇨🇭

5.Norway 🇳🇴

Relegation

Latvia 🇱🇻 vs Norway 🇳🇴

Latvia wins 5-2

Quarterfinals

#1 Slovakia 🇸🇰 vs Canada 🇨🇦 5:00 CST

Slovakia wins 5-0

#2 Czechia 🇨🇿 vs Finland 🇫🇮 7:30 CST

Finland wins 4-3 OT

#3 USA 🇺🇸 vs Germany 🇩🇪 10:00 CST

USA wins 8-0

#4 Sweden 🇸🇪 vs Switzerland 🇨🇭 12:30 CST

Sweden wins 6-2

Semifinals

#1 Sweden 🇸🇪 vs Slovakia 🇸🇰

Sweden wins 4-3 OT

#2 USA 🇺🇸 vs Finland 🇫🇮

USA wins 5-1

Bronze Medal Game:

🥉Slovakia 🇸🇰 vs Finland 🇫🇮

Slovakia wins 3-1

Gold Medal Game:

🥇USA 🇺🇸 vs Sweden 🇸🇪

USA wins 5-3

Final Ranking’s:

🥇-USA 🇺🇸

🥈-Sweden 🇸🇪

🥉-Slovakia 🇸🇰

4th-Finland 🇫🇮

5th-Czechia 🇨🇿

6th-Canada 🇨🇦

7th-Germany 🇩🇪

8th-Switzerland 🇨🇭

9th-Latvia 🇱🇻

10th-Norway 🇳🇴 (Relegated)

Groups for 2025 in Ottawa,ON 🇨🇦

A:

USA 🇺🇸

Finland 🇫🇮

Czechia 🇨🇿

Switzerland 🇨🇭

Latvia 🇱🇻

B:

Sweden 🇸🇪

Slovakia 🇸🇰

Canada 🇨🇦

Germany 🇩🇪

Kazakhstan 🇰🇿

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I know Canada and USA have the best rosters on paper but I’m picking Sweden for Gold.
Home ice and large ice familiarity will bode really well for them.
And they also have a killer roster lol.

Jakub97

Jun 5, 2023
5-0 loss? We're not even going to score a goal? We're not THAT bad this year. :laugh:
I would love to see this kind of result in our favor. Anyway, even with the hunger for revenge, there is almost 0% chance that we will win 5:0 against Canada. If we win it will be our first win ever against Canada in the U20 championship.

However, I like the fact that people over here see as as a real threat. I believe we will be very solid competitors, close to the level of Czechia and Finland.

The tiers of this year are quite clear:

1 tier - USA, SWE, CAN

2 tier - CZE, FIN, SVK

3 tier - SUI, LAT, GER, NOR

Teams from the 3rd tier can make life difficult for the 2nd tier teams, just as much the 2nd tier can do for a 1st tier.

Moreover, I believe that Latvia will make the QF this year instead of Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad