Post-Game Talk: Predators 4 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there is something to that for sure - our record without him certainly supports that point.
Do you see our system slipping? And if so, do you think it's because 55 is not in the lineup any given night?
No overall it is more than anyone player and we are struggling to find the game we were playing. It is just my perception that this team seems to struggle the most when 55 is out of the lineup.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think there is something to that for sure - our record without him certainly supports that point.
Do you see our system slipping? And if so, do you think it's because 55 is not in the lineup any given night?
If either or both of those are true, it’s just a coincidence. There is no way those two things are related.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Guess I WAS due for a loss while in attendance ...peeyoo that game sucked. I lost count how many times the Jets whiffed on the puck or couldn't complete a pass or couldnt clear the zone. Morrissey seemed very off, he's probably the next one sick.

Missed tonight, but sounds just like Vancouver. All the details are pointless to talk about because the fundamentals weren't there.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just my perspective is that when 55 is out we seem to go through the motions. Not that he is the answer to winning I just think the team sags when he is out.

I am with @LowLefty on this one as far as tonight's game goes. I agree with @KingBogo that with 55 out this team looks like a shell of itself and has trouble winning games but usually that is related to their inability to score. This season when he was out their defense held up pretty well, they just couldn't score to save their lives. The Jets metrics with 55 out in Jan:

vsCorsixGF
Flyers49.8151.76
Islanders48.9350.58
Senators46.0345.24
Bruins53.9750.07
Leafs64.8470.32
Leafs50.9748.92

Those are all playoff teams too other than the Sens. By contrast tonight they were 33.83% Corsi and 25.73% xGoals. I hope this game was the flu or some thing but there have been enough of these games since the ASB to leave me concerned about the defense. Aavco posts rolling 15 game graphs of xGoalsAgainst and that arrow started spiking up right after the ASB and shows now sign of dipping down.

Interestingly enough, the Jets offense is as good as it was during their best periods in Dec/Jan, it;s just that the defense has fallen off from being much better than league average to worse than league average. Which also seems to align with the eye test.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
This dragonfruit and pineapple smoothie bowl is making up for the Jets’ performance tonight
It's the year of the dragon.

I made a milk-shake with whipped cream, some Nestle Vanilla ice-cream that's mostly air, some Chaeban Lemon ice-cream, and the liquid from maraschino cherries. The stick blender could barely handle the Chaeban Lemon. I should have been like Bones and brought out the Vitamix blender but I don't have one.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I always appreciate it when fans of other teams are honest in their forums when they play us. So I'll follow suit and say the Preds looked very good. Fast (not just speed but decisions), crisp, high pressure, hard on pucks. If they play like this every game, they're a scary team, and their recent hot record says maybe they are.

The Jets weren't at the top of their game today. But the Preds forced a lot of mistakes with their pressure, then capitalized on them quickly. It seemed like they always make something happen when they had the puck in our zone.

I, like others, will keep my fingers crossed that what we're seeing lately with the Jets is the lingering effects of the flu running through the room. I know people (albeit not atheletes) who have felt rough for a long time with this flu that is going around. Just because a Jet player is on the ice, doesn't mean he's 100% over it. If this flu hits other teams later while they're in the playoffs, that'll be bad news for them.
Agree with all of this. We do however have problems with some D that are dramatically exposed when the team abandons the structured approach that Bone`s luvs to call "Jet`s hockey". The Preds were full value for taking advantage tonite.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
So who on D under-performed tonight? Rest them against the Ducks and put in Stan and Schmidt.

Nov 24, 2006
It's the year of the dragon.

I made a milk-shake with whipped cream, some Nestle Vanilla ice-cream that's mostly air, some Chaeban Lemon ice-cream, and the liquid from maraschino cherries. The stick blender could barely handle the Chaeban Lemon. I should have been like Bones and brought out the Vitamix blender but I don't have one.
That stuff is so good.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Scheifele is the Jets. As he goes, so goes the team.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That is frustrating, win one lose one win one lose one....

better than lose two win one lose two win one

But i would like win two lose one win two lose one..

Hopefully the 2/3 of the top line gets back soon..

In another news, what is going on with Buff, Little and Perrault? Special award or ceremony soon? coming up?

Reactions: sipowicz and GNP

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The first two periods were pretty poor.

But, the first couple of minutes of the third was some cast iron shyte.

Then they sort of woke up.
Score affects my guy. Buy the time you claim the Jets woke up in the third the score was 4-0. Do you really feel the Jets woke up or was it more the Preds laid back and got complacent? At that point they sat back and all they did was try to protect a 4-0 lead Its not hard to look good in that scenario now is it?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I am with @LowLefty on this one as far as tonight's game goes. I agree with @KingBogo that with 55 out this team looks like a shell of itself and has trouble winning games but usually that is related to their inability to score. This season when he was out their defense held up pretty well, they just couldn't score to save their lives. The Jets metrics with 55 out in Jan:

vsCorsixGF
Flyers49.8151.76
Islanders48.9350.58
Senators46.0345.24
Bruins53.9750.07
Leafs64.8470.32
Leafs50.9748.92

Those are all playoff teams too other than the Sens. By contrast tonight they were 33.83% Corsi and 25.73% xGoals. I hope this game was the flu or some thing but there have been enough of these games since the ASB to leave me concerned about the defense. Aavco posts rolling 15 game graphs of xGoalsAgainst and that arrow started spiking up right after the ASB and shows now sign of dipping down.

Interestingly enough, the Jets offense is as good as it was during their best periods in Dec/Jan, it;s just that the defense has fallen off from being much better than league average to worse than league average. Which also seems to align with the eye test.

The collapse of our fancy stats coincides with Connors return - Im not blaming him but I think the pressure of the scoring drought led our top guys to 'cheat' more to try and get goals... now that has just settled in to their play.

Then you add the disruption of Bones' system
Scoring line 1
Shutdown line 2
Scoring line 3
Hard forecheck line 4

Our fourth line has good moments but they are not the dominating forechecking line we had... as a result Bones plays them 7 mins a game instead of 10... say what you will but AJF-Gus/Toni-Barron had teams on their heels and the first line would come off the boards and capitalize on that - we don't have that now

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The collapse of our fancy stats coincides with Connors return - Im not blaming him but I think the pressure of the scoring drought led our top guys to 'cheat' more to try and get goals... now that has just settled in to their play.

Then you add the disruption of Bones' system
Scoring line 1
Shutdown line 2
Scoring line 3
Hard forecheck line 4

Our fourth line has good moments but they are not the dominating forechecking line we had... as a result Bones plays them 7 mins a game instead of 10... say what you will but AJF-Gus/Toni-Barron had teams on their heels and the first line would come off the boards and capitalize on that - we don't have that now
Good point on the 4, need guys to crash and bang and get the puck in the opposite end of the rink, now we have guys like Perfetan getting pushed off the puck in our end!

Reactions: Fatdrunk and ERYX

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
Maybe the Flu.......skated like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad