Pre-Game Talk: Pre-season hockey thread

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I don't have stats handy but it seems like Petterson's been having a very strong start to his year. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, been watching him that can comment on his play?

I finally had the chance to see a Sochi game. Personally, after seeing Petersson live, I have mixed feelings about his play.

On the other hand, this guy has very, very good offensive tools. The guy is a great skater, he has great hands and his IQ/vision allows him to make some great plays. He's especially deadly on the PP, where he gets to take advantage of his shot, which has a surprising amount of kick to it. He had two PP goals and an assist in tonight's game vs Vladivostok, which means he now leads the league in points after 7 or 8 games (7 games, 6 goals, 13 points). It's pretty remarkable, considering that there are guys like Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Voynov, Shipachev, etc. in the league.

Then again, the guy has a very inconsistent 5 on 5 game. There were times when he looked like a dominant star player, only to disappear off the face of the earth the moment after. Of all Sochi's forwards, he had the 2nd highest TOI, so it's not like he doesn't get ice time either. I was also unimpressed with his lack of physicality and mediocre to poor defensive play, even though he does have a high work ethic. I found it curious that Sochi's coach sometimes relied on Petersson to do (defensive) zone exits and breakouts, wonder what that's all about.

I also thought that Vladimir Tkachev had an excellent game for Vladivostok. He ended up having two goals, while being a constant threat on the ice. He now has 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games, so he's having an excellent start as well. The guy just oozes skill, I can't believe he was never drafted (even though the Oilers ex-management did try to sign him :laugh:).

For those who are interested, I was able to find a video of the Sochi - Khabarovsk game played on September 6th. IIRC, Petersson had a couple of assists in this one (game starts at around 32 minutes, look for blue #20):

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Rookie Camp Roster: http://ducks.nhl.com/v2/ext/2016RookieCampRoster.pdf

Brian Cooper, Tyler Morley, Antoine Samuel, and Darian Skeoch are the only invites.

This looks a lot "better" than the 2015 and 2014 rosters. It really shows that the management has put an emphasis on re-stocking the prospect pool. That list doesn't even include guys like Noesen, Kerdiles, Larsson, Pettersson (or Petersson ;)), etc.

That goaltender list is a shameful sight. I wonder why they didn't send more goalie invites, considering that it's the #1 need in our prospect pool right now. Would've been a great opportunity to do some scouting for the 2017 draft.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Numbers for the new guys:
#50 - Vermette
#40 - Boll
#1 - Bernier

Wonder if any returners are going to change their numbers (Vatanen, Manson, Lindholm, Rakell, Wagner come to mind).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Only potential other new number in my opinion would be Rakell, but I'm guessing they would wait until he is signed and back in the US. Seems like Manson, Vatanen, and Lindholm will be keeping their numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad