Pre-Game Talk: Pre-season hockey thread

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Euro CHL tournament, World Cup, training camps, exhibition games and other stuff. Basically a mega-thread for general hockey-related discussion, until the NHL season starts in October.

Hockey's back, as the Champions Hockey League is set to begin on August 16th. 48 teams from 13 countries are divided into 16 groups, and the round robin phase is scheduled to last until September 11th. Club introductions, schedules, standings and other stuff can be found on their website. The games are televised in some countries, but it's also possible to buy game passes from the official website.

Last year's tournament featured Matthews, Laine and Puljujärvi as the "main attractions" for the prospect-enthusiasts. This year's tournament doesn't have that many high-profile guys, but players like Adam Ruzicka, Urho Vaakanainen, Marcus Davidsson, Kristian Vesalainen and Lias Andersson are top-ranked 2017 draft eligibles, so that's something to look out for. Jacob Larsson will represent Frölunda, but so far he's the only Ducks' prospect in the tournament.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I'll participate!

For a moment I got all excited to see Rakell's name pop up in my Twitter feed, but was disappointed that it wasn't a signing... Anyhow, good for him!

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Pretty shocking that a player with no contract would play. He either has taken out a huge insurance policy, is close to signing, or is a complete idiot.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Gaudreau, Monahan, Trouba, etc etc all in the same boat.

EDIT: Just as a type that it appears a Monahan deal is close.

RAKELL,LINDHOLM (please work)

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Makes me sick that Magnus wasn't invited to World cup. Kronwall has no business being on that team.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Damn I was hoping as few players as possible would be playing in the gimmick cup. Not ideal to see another addition. I'm glad Lindholm isn't going and hope he isn't called in to replace any potential injuries.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Even though eliteprospects.com says Marcus Pettersson is coming to San Diego, he appeared in Skellefteå's CHL opener against Vienna Capitals. Even though Skellefteå lost 3-2 in OT, Pettersson had an assist and 7 SOG, +/- neutral. Played on the 2nd pairing with Emil Djuse.

Game stats and highlights here.

EDIT:

Just noticed that Frölunda (Larsson) is playing tonight, they're playing the Wolfsburg Grizzlies. The game is 0-0 after the 1st period, Frölunda is leading the Corsi battle 11-5.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Even though eliteprospects.com says Marcus Pettersson is coming to San Diego, he appeared in Skellefteå's CHL opener against Vienna Capitals. Even though Skellefteå lost 3-2 in OT, Pettersson had an assist and 7 SOG, +/- neutral. Played on the 2nd pairing with Emil Djuse.

It says he still weighs 167 pounds. Bust.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

EDIT:

Just noticed that Frölunda (Larsson) is playing tonight, they're playing the Wolfsburg Grizzlies. The game is 0-0 after the 1st period, Frölunda is leading the Corsi battle 11-5.

I'm watching the game. Larsson had a solid first period. He's getting a lot of ice time and had Frolunda's best scoring opportunity with a shot right from the slot. Wolfsburg's goalie didn't even realize he stopped the shot.

As has been the case in the past, Larsson is playing RD.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Damn I was hoping as few players as possible would be playing in the gimmick cup. Not ideal to see another addition. I'm glad Lindholm isn't going and hope he isn't called in to replace any potential injuries.

This X1000!

:shakehead

I can just imagine how many roster players, from quite a few teams, will be nursing injuries after this fiasco.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The plus is those players playing should be in better shape as well as more up to speed timing wise when the season starts.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
As far as Rakell goes, that may mean we shouldn't expect the contract to be signed until after the World Cup. I'm sure it varies player to player, but if he isn't signed before the WC starts, I probably wouldn't expect anything to get done until the tournament is over.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if he could use the selection and or his performance at the tournament as chips to get paid more.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I wonder if he could use the selection and or his performance at the tournament as chips to get paid more.

Probably only at the more extreme ranges.

I could see a very poor performance or a very good one having some impact, but probably a pretty marginal one, and everything between those extreme ranges is probably completely insignificant. I just don't think short tournaments are that meaningful, except to media and fans who tend to live on those extremes.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, there it is.

At least he's not an idiot?

Your giving up on "maybe he's close to signing"? :laugh:

Thanks for posting that. I think you brought a lot of relief to us here. Now all we hope for is clear, healthy sailing through that tournament, and a new ANA contract with it.

I don't consider it a relief. Now he can go out and get hurt which would hurt the team greatly. I wish the insurance didn't exist. He'd be sitting on his ass watching like the rest of us. :laugh:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I do agree that World Cup is a joke tournament,but I'm starving for high quality hockey right now.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm watching the game. Larsson had a solid first period. He's getting a lot of ice time and had Frolunda's best scoring opportunity with a shot right from the slot. Wolfsburg's goalie didn't even realize he stopped the shot.

As has been the case in the past, Larsson is playing RD.

How did he do? They won the game and he even got an assist, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. The highlights showed some clips here and there, but it's not much.

Pettersson is playing tonight vs KalPa, the score is 2-1 for Skellefteå after two periods.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Lazy Getzlaf: https://www.nhl.com/news/ryan-getzlaf-ready-for-world-cup-experience/c-281354124

Getzlaf already has been on the ice for more than a month preparing for the World Cup. He's accelerated his normal training plan with the goal of being in mid-season form before Team Canada starts the World Cup against Team Czech Republic at Air Canada Centre on Sept. 17 (8 p.m. ET; ESPNEWS).

"I tried to simulate what I would do for camp and I've been back working out," Getzlaf said. "I think that the amount of skating and stuff I've been doing is a lot more and it's a lot earlier. These next two weeks are going to be about trying to get up to that speed where we're playing at a high level."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00