Pre-Game Talk: Pre-season hockey thread

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
He'll just train too hard and too early and break down before the playoffs even start.

The year he came to camp in "the best shape of his life" he had his worse season of his career. Yeah I'm not going to get hopes up with news he's been training.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Damn I was hoping as few players as possible would be playing in the gimmick cup. Not ideal to see another addition. I'm glad Lindholm isn't going and hope he isn't called in to replace any potential injuries.

Eh, they can be injured in the tournament same as they could be injured in Game 1 of the regular season. I'd rather they play competitive hockey to warm up for the season than sit it out for fear of injury.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think all the signings are waiting until after the wc. Smart, imo, on the clubs side. I see it as only a risk on the players side. A great performance isn't worth the risk of no guaranteed money. The agents are playing hardball with the clubs, and in turn risking their clients future.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Much as the NA folks like to belittle the World Cup and agonize about its impact on the NHL season, in the Nordics the tourney is a huge thing. Hampus will be over the moon for making the cut.

This is not the IIHF tournament, this is the NHL World Cup. I've yet to see anyone over here that is excited about this.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
This is not the IIHF tournament, this is the NHL World Cup. I've yet to see anyone over here that is excited about this.

Hmm. Where's here? I know that in Finland at least hockey folks will be glued to the telly.

Who cares about odd details like Team Europe? For the Finns, this is a unique opportunity to see the country's finest take on the best of the best, on their own soil no less, and once again try to do what Finland does best, surprise and upset favored heavyweights. Every game will be a war of attrition and survival, struggle against the odds, and every hockey soul will have fingers crossed for the Lions to emerge on top.

IIHF Worlds doesn't come even close. It's a second string tournament for the leftovers, fought at the end of the long season with tired legs. Yet even that gets the Finnish hockey folks all excited, every year, over and again. World Cup will be that but tenfold.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Hmm. Where's here? I know that in Finland at least hockey folks will be glued to the telly.

Who cares about odd details like Team Europe? For the Finns, this is a unique opportunity to see the country's finest take on the best of the best, on their own soil no less, and once again try to do what Finland does best, surprise and upset favored heavyweights. Every game will be a war of attrition and survival, struggle against the odds, and every hockey soul will have fingers crossed for the Lions to emerge on top.

IIHF Worlds doesn't come even close. It's a second string tournament for the leftovers, fought at the end of the long season with tired legs. Yet even that gets the Finnish hockey folks all excited, every year, over and again. World Cup will be that but tenfold.

I haven't so far seen any kind of excitement towards World Cup in Finland or any kind of interest that comes close to IIHF Worlds.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I haven't so far seen any kind of excitement towards World Cup in Finland or any kind of interest that comes close to IIHF Worlds.

I agree, the only ones "hyping" the tournament are the PPV TV networks, who are covering the event. I'd say that in Finland, the interest for this World Cup may be on par with the WHC tournament, but the olympic tournament is still far and away the biggest draw on international ice.

I'd say that the overall interest for the World Cup in Europe is marginal at best. A "team leftovers" won't be enough to gather that many viewers from countries like Slovakia, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Latvia, etc.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Much as the NA folks like to belittle the World Cup and agonize about its impact on the NHL season, in the Nordics the tourney is a huge thing. Hampus will be over the moon for making the cut.

A lot of Swedes think it's kind of a ploy tourny due to it including non-national teams.

I agree.

Wonder which Duck will have the best season, relative to what you expect him to do.

I hope Ritchie shows some real promise and takes a couple of steps, otherwise I fear he'll become a bust..

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
A lot of Swedes think it's kind of a ploy tourny due to it including non-national teams.

I agree.

Wonder which Duck will have the best season, relative to what you expect him to do.

I hope Ritchie shows some real promise and takes a couple of steps, otherwise I fear he'll become a bust..

Doubt it. He's shown he can play in pro league at a very early age. He dominated AHL and he still has a lot of room to grow. And PFWs usually take longer to develop anyway.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Perhaps this would be a good place to rant for one of my pet peeves. Why do so many people not list a location in their profile? It's not like you are posting your home address. Knowing where someone is from can give context to their comments in many HF threads. "We wouldn't make that deal" is pretty meaningless in a trade thread when nobody knows who "we" is. Yes, sometimes the user name or avatar is an indication of affiliation, but many times it isn't.

/Rant off.

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer but I don't have high hopes for this upcoming season given where we are at this point.

Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler are getting older
We have not signed either Lindholm or Rakell
We've lost Perron
Carlyle is back even though we fired him before for not doing something right
I haven't seen any good moves made this offseason that have made this team stronger.

Our team peaked during the 2015 playoffs and I'm honestly starting to feel like we are the Canucks the year after their Stanley Cup run. Am I wrong?

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Perhaps this would be a good place to rant for one of my pet peeves. Why do so many people not list a location in their profile? It's not like you are posting your home address. Knowing where someone is from can give context to their comments in many HF threads. "We wouldn't make that deal" is pretty meaningless in a trade thread when nobody knows who "we" is. Yes, sometimes the user name or avatar is an indication of affiliation, but many times it isn't.

/Rant off.

I'm from PEI, Canada. Not sure if that helps in that regard. More Ducks fans than just in SoCal.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/war-of-attrition

war of attrition plural wars of attrition [countable]

a struggle in which you harm your opponent in a lot of small ways, so that they become gradually weaker

Sure doesn't sound like anything I'd want our players involved in. Just saying...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm from PEI, Canada. Not sure if that helps in that regard. More Ducks fans than just in SoCal.

You're right, it doesn't always make a difference. But sometimes it does. I only used the trade example because it fits there quite often. And in a case like yours where it doesn't it would be nice if people at least mention their POV relative to their taking sides in a discussion.

Anyway, there is some upside with no downside to including a location.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I don't mean to sound like a Debbie Downer but I don't have high hopes for this upcoming season given where we are at this point.

Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler are getting older
We have not signed either Lindholm or Rakell
We've lost Perron
Carlyle is back even though we fired him before for not doing something right
I haven't seen any good moves made this offseason that have made this team stronger.

Our team peaked during the 2015 playoffs and I'm honestly starting to feel like we are the Canucks the year after their Stanley Cup run. Am I wrong?

The list of unsigned RFA players is quite staggering, we aren't the only team in the league who isn't done just yet. We did just add Vermette, which is a pretty significant signing for us. What we need now is some budget space, the Lindholm/Rakell extensions and a top 6 LW.

"LW" - Getzlaf - Perry
Rakell - Kesler - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Vermette - Garbutt
Ritchie - Wagner - Noesen
Boll
Thompson

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler/Despres - Vatanen
Theodore - Bieksa
Stoner - Holzer

Gibson
Bernier

Patience, my friend, it isn't October yet. The opening night lineup is all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad