Pre-Game Talk: Pre-season hockey thread

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Anyway, there is some upside with no downside to including a location.

Done for the sake of clarity.

And as for the last discussion about enthusiasm in Nordics, I haven't met anyone who watches over here who even knows what the NHL World Cup is nor shows any interest towards it upon being told about it. Mostly met with skepticism as an inane NHL-centric publicity stunt among the hockey people I know.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/war-of-attrition

war of attrition plural wars of attrition [countable]

a struggle in which you harm your opponent in a lot of small ways, so that they become gradually weaker

Sure doesn't sound like anything I'd want our players involved in. Just saying...

Actually that's kind of what I had in mind, a slow and tiring struggle against overwhelming odds over the full 60 mins etc etc. Yeah I know I am rambling, getting carried away and waxing all lyrical. I will get my coat now. :sarcasm:

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Done for the sake of clarity.

And as for the last discussion about enthusiasm in Nordics, I haven't met anyone who watches over here who even knows what the NHL World Cup is nor shows any interest towards it upon being told about it. Mostly met with skepticism as an inane NHL-centric publicity stunt among the hockey people I know.

Ok fair enough I accept that view. I still think it's going to be strikingly different when the tournament is actually on, but then again what do I know.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Top-10 in points this season, my predictions.

1: Getzlaf 68 points
2: Perry 62 points
3: Kesler 56 points
4: Rakell 54 points
5: Vatanen 52 points
6: Silfverberg 49 points
7: Lindholm 42 points
8: Theodore 41 points
9: Cogliano 36 points
10: Vermette 33 points

This assuming the Swedish twins sign and Fowler leaves (can't predict who's coming back so won't include "LW" in this list).

Thoughts?

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas

This assuming the Swedish twins sign and Fowler leaves (can't predict who's coming back so won't include "LW" in this list).

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that if that LW we get for Cam doesn't crack the top ten, we got ripped off. ;)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see Theodore getting 40 points this year.

Vatanen - 47
Theodore - 33

is more reasonable IMO

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I don't see Theodore getting 40 points this year.

Vatanen - 47
Theodore - 33

is more reasonable IMO

My reasoning is that our PP has to be top-5 in order for us to have a chance of reaching the playoffs. Vatanen and Theo will have big roles on it.

But in reality, Theo might not even have a spot in the opening lineup (cringe), so who knows.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Thoughts?

Probably pretty accurate. Cogs, Kesler and Silfverberg will probably be a bit lower and whichever one of Lindholm and Theodore is on the 2nd PP unit will also be a bit lower.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

Thoughts?

The twins should have more Pts our sh%. Was historically low last season hopefully that's not the same case

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The twins should have more Pts our sh%. Was historically low last season hopefully that's not the same case

I hope so, but they both had 40+ games each were they looked absolutely horrible.

And Perry's playoff performance...good God!

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway

Thoughts?
Just have a feeling that Getzlaf or Perry will shine this year.

1. Perry 83 points
2. Getzlaf 77 points
3. Rakell 65 points
4. Kesler 56 points
5. Silfverberg 51 points
6. Vatanen 50 points
7. Cogliano 44 points
8. Montour 39 points
9. Garbutt 35 points
10. Fowler 33 points

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
40+ games, absolutely horrible. Exaggerate much?

Compared to what they should play like, they were horrible.

Perry had several games where he was floating around not doing anything, then get rewarded by an easy assist and whammer, he gets away with it.

The best forward, by the eye test, was Kesler. Noone was even close looking at the whole season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Just have a feeling that Getzlaf or Perry will shine this year.

1. Perry 83 points
2. Getzlaf 77 points
3. Rakell 65 points
4. Kesler 56 points
5. Silfverberg 51 points
6. Vatanen 50 points
7. Cogliano 44 points
8. Montour 39 points
9. Garbutt 35 points
10. Fowler 33 points

If Silf, Getz,Perry, and Rakell all shine like this we'll still win our division even with no forward depth

I hope you're right

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Assuming we keep Fowler

Getzlaf 70
Perry 68
Kesler 50
Rakell 48
Silfverberg 42
Vatanen 41
Lindholm 35
Fowler 33
Vermette 32
Cogliano 31

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Remember André Petersson?

The Ducks traded Alex Grant for him in a prospect swap in 2014. He spent a short amount of time in our system, had a good performance for the Norfolk Admirals. Decided to go play in Russia and hasn't since been heard of in North America.

After spending two seasons in the KHL, Petersson has developed into a PPG performer in the KHL (44 points in 45 games last year). The 16-17 KHL season is already underway, and Petersson has taken his game even further -- 3 games, 3 goals and 7 points.

Even though I don't think he's able to keep this up for long, the guy is putting Panarin level numbers on a much worse KHL team. With the success guys like Panarin and Donskoi have had in the NHL, there's no way Petersson isn't getting some NHL attention, especially when his contract with Sochi ends next offseason. The beautiful thing about all of this is that Anaheim gave him a qualifying offer in 2014, but Petersson chose to go to Russia instead. Because he's 25 (turns 26 in September), we should still have his RFA rights.

So if I'm not mistaken and everything goes according to expectations, we could end up having exclusive negotiating rights to a highly coveted European free agent in 2017. Talk about a turn of events! :laugh:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
You got me excited :laugh:

He have had bad playoffs in the KHL though http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7039 And he`s older than Panarin

But wouldn`t hurt to hold his rights.

Well, the Sochi team was launched in 2014, and to this day they haven't won a single playoff game (2015 swept by CSKA, 2016 swept by Dynamo Moscow). He's had bad playoffs, sure, but it's not like it's entirely his fault or anything. :laugh:

But yeah, if we do end up holding his rights, we should at worst be able to flip them for a draft pick, just like Nashville did with Vesey. Best case scenario is we get a solid middle 6 forward for absolutely nothing. And if he doesn't come over to the NHL, it won't do us any damage at all.

This is just one of those situations where we have very little to lose and a whole lot to gain.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Frölunda and Färjestad played a pre-season exhibiton match. GLIMT.tv uploaded a nice, 25+ minute highlight compilation on their YouTube channel:

Frölunda with the white jerseys, Larsson is #4. 2017 draft eligible Kristian Vesalainen had a pretty good game, he's Frölunda's #78.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's September. Less than a month now until our first preseason game. Even less than that until we open camp. This summer had better get interesting in a hurry because it's almost over.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I understand that this lineup will never happen, and that they'd probably sustain injuries at some point.

Hypothetically
I wonder how many points our defense would get overall if vatanen, fowler, Lindholm, Theodore, and montour were all in the lineup together?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00