Potential Trade Targets

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Yes, but what are you going to do with that D prospect this year...who sits, or do you go psycho and move Hronek also , knowing that he's definitely not going to be back next year. You get a young top forward as well as a top young d man.

None of the above I want to see done, but you are correct, they will need D next year.

Middleton is key to next year if you trade him you better get a D-man back for next year. As far as trading him l wouldn't. I would move hronek before Middleton.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
finster,
I agree with not moving Middleton...I was responding to talk bantered about here on trading Mitchell Stephens, implying that if you are willing to give up on the season already by trading your #1 goal scorer, then really blow it up and move Hronek as well. :laugh:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
finster,
I agree with not moving Middleton...I was responding to talk bantered about here on trading Mitchell Stephens, implying that if you are willing to give up on the season already by trading your #1 goal scorer, then really blow it up and move Hronek as well. :laugh:

Hronek cannot be traded. Have to wait one full year to trade import selections...

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Hronek cannot be traded. Have to wait one full year to trade import selections...

Thanks Petes, that came to mind shortly after posting. My point was really a tongue-in-cheek foder at the thought of the Spirit making another "blockbuster trade".

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not even relatively close. Stephens for Gogolev and 2 2nds, 2 3rds would be good. You wanna throw Middleton in? Add a lot more.

Trading Middleton is not something Saginaw should want to do. You will be disappointed by the return for Stephens, it seems. There are about two teams that could/would give up a 2000 and have 2nds and/or 3rds to trade for a rental.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Trading Middleton is not something Saginaw should want to do. You will be disappointed by the return for Stephens, it seems. There are about two teams that could/would give up a 2000 and have 2nds and/or 3rds to trade for a rental.

These are why teams don't trade their guys. Saginaw shouldn't expect less than what the market has been the past few years for similar players.

The only potential buyers out there that have both the assets and the talent to go for it with the type of move:
London.

And that's probably it. Other teams that actually have the assets would be foolish because it probably isn't enough to put them over the top. London can also trade for other players as well

It really comes down to buyers this year and the only team I can see that has a real reason to be big buyers is London. And they can't buy all the big name players out there

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

I mean you can look to last year. Sadowy and Dito went for Kaura and 9 draft picks. So that's a relative price for a rental and a defenseman. Plus Stephens and Middleton are both better than their respective counter parts in the previous year's trade. The price I mentioned would be a big discount even if the trade market prices finally drop for once.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I mean you can look to last year. Sadowy and Dito went for Kaura and 9 draft picks. So that's a relative price for a rental and a defenseman. Plus Stephens and Middleton are both better than their respective counter parts in the previous year's trade. The price I mentioned would be a big discount even if the trade market prices finally drop for once.

Stephens probably would demand a legit 2000 or 1999 and 2 2nds and at least 1 third. They will try to get 2 3rds but if they are desperate to trade him and continue the rebuild they might settle for 1 3rd, especially if the 2000 or 1999 is one of the bigger named ones able to be traded.

Justin Bailey 2 years ago got 18 year old Miller, 2 2nds and 2 3rds (1 was a conditional pick that never kicked in). Stephens is all around a better player and that alone should demand a higher ranked and younger prospect.

Rychel and Ebert went for 5 seconds, a 3rd, 2 4ths and an 18 year old.

Mayday3*

Kaura wasn't a real prospect though. Now (less than a year later) he has been released and isn't even in the OHL. Thats far different from a 2000 born 1st round pick and picks on top of that

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
2014/15 had at least five teams go all in. it was a good season to be selling. Windsor is the only team sure to add significantly.. if Mississauga bows out, sellers (of rentals) will cut their throats just to get something from the Petes & Knights.
Maybe, there will be unexpected buyers; NB could jump in if the prices are low. Otherwise, I just don't see it.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Weird year - not sure of last years numbers but trades this year look to be way down. I think most teams in the east have no idea which way to turn at this point. It will be a mad scramble the first week of January or it might be a down year as very few make moves. Windsor will make some moves if the price is right ( not much left but players to move). Hunters are the ones to gain here, have lots of assets and can take their time and buy at the last minute for the best price. Trades done on the last day can't be counter acted by others especially when they are out of assets. Not sure if Erie will make a move but may have to do something before London grabs the "prime candidates".
Also may see some surprise buyers - Soo and Owen Sound come to mind, they may want some 2 year players this year so they will be in the hunt next year.
See Oshawa as the most likely to host the Memorial Cup next year so may see some "crafty" moves out of them.
Christmas trade freeze is almost upon us gearing up for ( as always) an exciting first week of January.

Mayday3*

Saginaw says no,he is out with lower body injury.

I saw someone tweet resting him because it's a 3-in-3. Sounds like a weird move. Get to play in an NHL rink for the last time and you rest your captain because it's a 3-in-3? Makes a lot more sense if a trade is close to being done and don't want to risk an injury

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I agree Mayday,

You think a kid would beg for a few shifts on NHL ice then sit it out.

And while I'm at it...Hockeytown my arse...3200 attendance!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not to hijack the thread but I would imagine the ticket prices scared some fans away. Paying $30 for a regular season game is steep, even if it is JLA.

The Stephens thing had a few people we talked to going "hmmm." It wouldn't shock me if there was a deal.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not to hijack the thread but I would imagine the ticket prices scared some fans away. Paying $30 for a regular season game is steep, even if it is JLA.

The Stephens thing had a few people we talked to going "hmmm." It wouldn't shock me if there was a deal.
Maybe a deal struck with another GM who was at the game?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
... Paying $30 for a regular season game is steep, even if it is JLA.

Unaware of that being the ticket price...a shame, keeps a lot of local youngsters and families away.

Back to the "trade talk"...as a fan of the OHL, I get a bit tired of the "haves and have nots" mentality...oh well :shakehead

SpiritFan12

Nov 5, 2014
Lower body injury to Stephens. Happened last night.

Also talk around town is that D-man Proner has left the team. Maybe he is being moved?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Proner and Hill are both 6'2" 200lb rookies and hope to make a step up on D next year. Hate the thought of waving him out there unless a strong replacement comes in.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Proner is a good prospect that was only getting better but something had to have happened. Anyone looking for a 99 defenseman? He is a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: