Post-Game Talk: Post Mortem Analysis

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
As others have said, next season will be a repeat of 2011. Vets have already tuned Carlyle out. There's not enough additional speed or 4th line minutes that will change their minds. They have been there and done that and they know how it will end. Perry may not be the player he once was, but it sure looks like he's putting out the minimum because he can't stand playing for Randy Carlyle.

We will go 1-10 and Carlyle will be gone and Eakins will be the interim. Bob will get another year to get a coach and turn the team around. He manages within budget and wins enough games. Until visitor fans stop showing up for games, nothing will change.

John

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

I assume this is based off of the % of people watching that have access to Prime Ticket, correct?

It's either based on that or the % of people who have the option of getting Prime Ticket.

This is why local sports TV ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt. LA/OC is an exponentially larger market than most other locales, so the ratings are much lower, but the number of viewers might be the same or even higher. I know in baseball, Angels/Dodgers are usually at or near the bottom in ratings while teams like Kansas City are near the top. But the number of viewers for SoCal teams dwarf those in smaller markets that have higher "ratings".

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It's either based on that or the % of people who have the option of getting Prime Ticket.

This is why local sports TV ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt. LA/OC is an exponentially larger market than most other locales, so the ratings are much lower, but the number of viewers might be the same or even higher. I know in baseball, Angels/Dodgers are usually at or near the bottom in ratings while teams like Kansas City are near the top. But the number of viewers for SoCal teams dwarf those in smaller markets that have higher "ratings".
Right, sharing a market with another team (especially one that is in a bigger city and has been around longer) will definitely make your rating look extremely poor.

Reactions: ADHB

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Right, sharing a market with another team (especially one that is in a bigger city and has been around longer) will definitely make your rating look extremely poor.

Not to mention the Lakers and Ducks tend to play on the same night. Even though they suck right now, I'm guessing Lakers are probably the most popular team in So Cal (maybe Dodgers?).

Oct 18, 2011

I assume this is based off of the % of people watching that have access to Prime Ticket, correct?

Well I think our little forum is a microcosm of how the average fan views the team right now. It's boring and regressing. Sadly our GM is content with a boring, mediocre product

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah it's no surprise the TV ratings are so bad

a big chunk of the ducks fanbase is in their 20s-30s. we just don't have time to watch the games on TV very often

not to mention the team hasn't been very fun to watch since carlyle returned

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't doubt our ranking but I really would like to understand the technology of how they come up with those numbers. Given all the ways one can watch TV these days, just how do they know the accuracy of any of this? It's not like the old days of the Nielsens.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
23. Anaheim GM Bob Murray was in Ontario this week, watching some of his players in OHL playoff series involving Kingston and Sault Ste. Marie. Murray likes scouting draft-eligibles, more so than many of his contemporaries. But there’s no question he’d prefer to be attending the NHL playoffs now. After their elimination to San Jose, he delayed the Ducks’ exit meetings.
“I’m not ready for that yet,” he said Wednesday. “There’s still a lot of emotion. I wanted to sit for a bit.”
They will begin Friday. He held an interesting debriefing with local reporters about the way his team needs to play.
“We are all in agreement the games are being played faster. I was watching Sault Ste. Marie the other night, and they have two or three guys coming back underneath to pick up speed. We don’t do that. We can’t have three forwards standing around waving sticks. I would say to [head coach Randy Carlyle] that we have to play fast, and sometimes we did. But he didn’t have the leverage all season, because we were so banged up that we were always chasing the playoffs. But we know we have to, because we are playing slow hockey.” Murray credited Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski for being able to play fast without being the swiftest skaters.

24. The GM added two other changes he wanted to see. First, more usage of the fourth line. That was something Toronto questioned about Carlyle, too, but Murray gamely took responsibility for that. He credited old defence partner Doug Wilson (GM in San Jose) for getting the Melker Karlssons and Marcus Sorensens.
“Doug did a hell of a job finding guys (coach) Peter DeBoer could trust. I don’t want to force-feed Sam Steel and Troy Terry on the fourth line. That’s not a place for a 20-year-old.”
At the end of Game 3, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler were in the penalty box as the Sharks poured in goal after goal. That needs to be controlled.
“This is still a physical game,” Murray said. “But you have to play between the whistles. If others don’t engage, you can’t lose your cool mentally. That means you are not ready to play.”

25. Murray is hopeful a summer of rest will help Getzlaf and Kesler. He feels they have to ease the captain’s workload. He would not discuss Perry, but it’s clear there is some tension. This will be a huge summer (and 2018–19 season) for one of the franchise cornerstones. One player he did correct my opinion of is John Gibson. In the past, I’ve mentioned that the Ducks love their goalie, but worry about his propensity for injuries. The GM said that is no longer the case.
“That was when he had some hip flexor or groin issues. But he hasn’t had those in two years. These were different, and in some cases, he was held out for precautionary reasons. We’re not worried.”

Some interesting stuff from Freidman's 31 thoughts. I don't see how anything is going to change with RC still acting as head coach. He has no idea how to coach a faster style since he's never had to coach that type of style. Why Murray thinks he'll suddenly know how to and drastically change all of his coaching style is beyond me.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
BM basically just admitted he's going shopping in UFA for 4th liners.

“Doug did a hell of a job finding guys (coach) Peter DeBoer could trust. I don’t want to force-feed Sam Steel and Troy Terry on the fourth line. That’s not a place for a 20-year-old.”

That quote tells me they don't actually want a 4th line that can play hockey. It would be one thing if come training camp guys like Terry and Steel show they aren't ready, but to come out and say flat out that's "no place for a 20 year old" shows nothing is going to change. It's going to be the status quo, RC's "safe" 4th line that skates around for a few minutes each night and does nothing.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Murray & Carlyle need to go, f***ing dinosaurs.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I don't think I'd mind what Murray is saying so much if he would just stop going all "Single White Female" over the Sharks. Sorensen had a good series, big whoop. He had like 7 points all year. Every series there's some scrub that lights us up and becomes a hero. Who tf is Scissons, anyhow? He ended our season last year. It's always annoying, but we've had some big goals/games from guys like Wagner and Thompson recently as well. To me this series wasn't just about the Sharks being some superior model for us to follow, even if they turned us into road kill. It was like a highlight reel of our team's habit of being undisciplined, making constant mental errors, and not be able to bail itself out with special teams play. The Sharks just pushed us to the perimeter, cherry-picked, and took advantage of our sloppy, gutless play. Credit to them, and we are too slow in many ways, but this wasn't just about rolling four lines and them being faster. It was about the players looking uncomfortable and out of sync, and about the coaching staff not having an answer for it.

At this point, the biggest issue for me is that the talent and mobility of our defenders is criminally underused. Regardless of what Murray is trying to do to tweak the team's approach next season, I think this is the way to improve the team's... dynamism(?), and it's where I think Randy will undermine things the most.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I wonder what the deal is with management and Perry. Sounds like they've had discussions with him about play style that he is blowing off, or he isn't working hard enough off the ice.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That quote tells me they don't actually want a 4th line that can play hockey. It would be one thing if come training camp guys like Terry and Steel show they aren't ready, but to come out and say flat out that's "no place for a 20 year old" shows nothing is going to change. It's going to be the status quo, RC's "safe" 4th line that skates around for a few minutes each night and does nothing.

Not really, its more about doing what's best for them. At that age they deserve more than 10 or so minutes a game, they should be playing top line minutes and top special teams minutes.

All in all some real interesting stuff, and definitely intrigued to see how the Perry thing plays out.

Reactions: duxfan1101

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

That's literally the exact opposite of what I got out of his words. He said the 4th line has to play more minutes, which means no more Jared Boll-types. Karlsson and Sorensen are both decent 4th liners (mostly Karlsson, Sorensen just had the series of his life against us). Grant is a quality starting piece to a good 4th line, just have to find wingers that can play. I'm unsure how I'd feel about Terry/Steel on the 4th line, definitely don't think that's the optimal place for them, though.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

That's not what he said though. He said he doesn't want to force them there, which is a good thing, as it shows that the organization is willing to take their time with these guys. Also, the comment IMO suggests that if the kids DO make the Ducks roster, it won't be a 4th line role, which again is a good thing, as they'd then actually have a chance of playing some meaningful minutes.

When Bob names Melker Karlsson and Marcus Sörensen as his "inspirations", along with the report that Bob has been watching Soo and Kingston games, it makes me believe that he's actually thinking about injecting guys like Jones and Kopacka into the lineup -- big, strong kids with a ton of speed and tenacity...

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I have no problem with not building a line around Terry and Steel. I may have a problem with who Murray brings in, but I haven't seen anything from either of those players that would lead me to believe that they're ready to step right in to the NHL. The last thing a team wants is to be scrambling at the last minute for players. Besides, that doesn't mean that young players will be omitted from that line, seeing as a player like Roy is clearly ready.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I also don't have a problem with that quote from BM. Playing top 6 minutes is what Terry and Steel need at 20 years old and the place they'll get that is San Diego. If they show they are too good for that league right off the bat like Getzlaf and Perry did, they will be promoted.

I think my problem is that guys that have spent years in San Diego developing (Kossila and Roy), and look like they could potentially be useful, never get a fair shot. Instead we get guys that we all know are awful

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
yeah the biggest worry I have about that is him identifying 4th line guys that he loves and overpays to get them here. I'd argue we don't need any 4th line players. With Eaves healthy, we have one spot left, leave that for one of the kids. Ritchie-Grant-Eaves is a damn good 4th line.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's literally the exact opposite of what I got out of his words. He said the 4th line has to play more minutes, which means no more Jared Boll-types. Karlsson and Sorensen are both decent 4th liners (mostly Karlsson, Sorensen just had the series of his life against us). Grant is a quality starting piece to a good 4th line, just have to find wingers that can play. I'm unsure how I'd feel about Terry/Steel on the 4th line, definitely don't think that's the optimal place for them, though.

Yeah, but knowing Bob, does anybody think we will do any better than new versions of Chimera and Kelly? And then telling RC to play them 10-12 minutes? I don't think anybody wants to force Steel and Terry when they may not be ready. But we can't keep signing the guys Bob signs and then refuse to give our young players opportunities. There has to be some middle ground that deviates from a 4th line of no talent vets who "won't f*** up" and raw rookies who need more seasoning. And I don't know how that happens between Bob's dumpster diving and Randy's old school coaching. We now have two management guys who are square pegs and expecting them to fit into round holes. Good luck with that.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad