Post-Game Talk: Post Mortem Analysis

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Thinking on it, that quote makes me more optimistic Grant might stay. He might still get some great offers and more opportunity, but if BM is aggressive enough, might be tough to move on from the team that gave him his best opportunity yet. And RC does trust him.

Also makes me think that Roy might not be in the mix. RC did give him a pretty good opportunity when everyone was hurt, but didn't seem like he trusted him a whole lot. Or I dunno, maybe they just wanted him to work on some things.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Grant is the new Lovejoy. He fit in well here and finally became a solid NHL player in ANA. He has to decide the risk of leaving a place he seems to fit in, depending upon the deals offered. The Rev looked around and ended up taking Bob's offer which if I'm not mistaken was 3 x $1.1M. I'd prefer a one year deal but who knows.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I really worry that Bob is going to downgrade in actual our skill in order to get faster because he thinks that’s the way to win and he has always been a copycat GM.

At the end of the day if you have enough talent and implement a system that works with that talent you are going to be successful. Carlyle has always tried to force square pegs into round holes and I don’t see that changing next year.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Damn we couldn't score only having 4 goals and already Vegas has more goals in two periods against the Sharks :baghead:

Last edited:

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
So I wanted to do an end of season grades thread, but I'll just put my post in here.

Players are graded on my expectations combined with performance. (these are my opinions of course)

Player - Reg season / Playoff
-Getzlaf- A / F- ... He was so good this year, and I honestly didn't even notice him in the post season. (most the team will be getting playoff F's
-Perry- C / F... Didn't expect much from him, and he didn't do much. In the playoffs, he had many chances to score and didn't, especially game 4.
-Rakell- A / C-... He had a great season, solidifying himself as a top line player. He tried in the playoffs, and was one of the few, but didn't get too much going of course
-Silf- D / F... Saw nothing all year. Of course playoffs were worse. Our shootout/breakaway hero is no longer sniping.
-Kesler- C / F... I expected about what he was able to do in the regular season. I was hoping he was pacing himself, but he was not. I hope he heals up. He's a fun player to watch, and just a season ago was a Selke caliber player and a major leader for us.
-Cogs- C / B... One of the few players that looked like they knew what they were doing in the playoffs on this damn team. If our skaters were all Cogliano we would have won a few games at least.
-Kase- A / F... I thought his line would bring it in the playoffs, but they were useless. He was a nice surprise this regular season though.
-Ritchie- D / F... I don't expect much, and he doesn't even do that. Just takes penalties and falls behind in every play. Unless he changes his game, he'll be out of the league soon. Needs to get faster.
-Henrique- A / F... My expectations were not super high, so he was a nice surprise. He's the one left handed person that can shoot on the team. He was very absent in the playoffs.
-4th line and others- D / F... None of them matter or cared to make themselves matter enough to be on here. Our depth needs a major overhaul, but it's not like they play much anyway.

-Fowler- D / NA... I was disappointed by him this year. He's (probably) my favorite player, so maybe I'm hard on him. He did have to play with Bieksa WAY too much, so maybe it's just that... Hope he can get healthy and rebound next year without casual Kev ruining everything.
-Hampus- C / F... An unspectacular season capped with not doing anything well in the playoffs. I think he's never going to mature into that epic #1 d that carries the offense and defense. I think he'll cap at a solid top pairing defensive d. He and Manson can be a great shutdown pair.
-Manson- B+ / F... Showed some offense this year! I still think he gets run around a decent amount, but somehow does a better job than any of our other dmen at recovering and getting to rebounds. In the playoffs, he was terrible.
-Monty- B / C... He was the only player trying to score (or do anything) in the playoffs, but his play was just normal, whereas the rest of the team fell off so bad, it made him look good. He works hard and is willing to shoot, so that's good.
-Beauch- C- / F... He tried...
-Bieksa- F / F... My expectations were so low, and he managed to still get under them. He's a beer-leaguer stuck in a pro-player's life. Some of you may say we have Trump as president to prove the glitch in the matrix, I say we have Bieksa as our proof.
-Petterssen- B- / F... He is learning. Moves the puck, and plays so much better than the two above him.

-Gibson- A+ / B... He had (IMO) the best season of any Ducks goalie ever. He was why we got to the playoffs. He wasn't able to work his magic in any of the games, but the team provided no support at all.
-Miller- A- / NA... He exceeded my expectations this year, and played really well. He only had one really bad stinker game, and covered for Gibson's many injuries.

Our D (on paper) and goalie should be able to carry this team. Maybe with no Frankie/Kevin next season they'll do better with minor call ups and signing a 6/7 dman. The forwards have NO mission, no personality, no identity. This probably is mostly because of the coach, but we still didn't have a great team identity with Bruce. Our D was way better with Bruce though. The league is getting faster. We need to be fast. We need a coach that doesn't skate the team into the ground and only play 3 lines.

TL/DR: Our team is bad and they should feel bad.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So I see all this Bob talk about "playing faster" yet he wants to keep Carlyle.... that's like being a English teacher and then deciding you want them to teach math.... wouldn't the more logical thing be to just hire a math teacher?

Reactions: Vipers31
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I really worry that Bob is going to downgrade in actual our skill in order to get faster because he thinks that’s the way to win and he has always been a copycat GM.

At the end of the day if you have enough talent and implement a system that works with that talent you are going to be successful. Carlyle has always tried to force square pegs into round holes and I don’t see that changing next year.

The copycat thing is overblown. Bob talks a big game that way but almost always never follows through. This is maybe the third or fourth time he's commented how the league is getting faster and that's how teams are winning yet he's never actually went out and targeted speed. I used to think he had one consistent theme in his pickups, being hard to play against, but lately I'm thinking thats just a coincidence. I think he takes almost a NHL 18 approach where he just goes after overall value or whatever and doesn't worry about identity or anything like that.

The only consistent thing he's done is let playoff results affect his big picture thinking way too much. Both times we lost in the first round he's wanted to make fairly significant changes and both times we lost in the conference final he's wanted to make pretty much none. That trends concerns me.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The copycat thing is overblown. Bob talks a big game that way but almost always never follows through. This is maybe the third or fourth time he's commented how the league is getting faster and that's how teams are winning yet he's never actually went out and targeted speed. I used to think he had one consistent theme in his pickups, being hard to play against, but lately I'm thinking thats just a coincidence. I think he takes almost a NHL 18 approach where he just goes after overall value or whatever and doesn't worry about identity or anything like that.

The only consistent thing he's done is let playoff results affect his big picture thinking way too much. Both times we lost in the first round he's wanted to make fairly significant changes and both times we lost in the conference final he's wanted to make pretty much none. That trends concerns me.

The bolded is spot on

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So I wanted to do an end of season grades thread, but I'll just put my post in here.

Players are graded on my expectations combined with performance. (these are my opinions of course)

Player - Reg season / Playoff
-Getzlaf- A / F- ... He was so good this year, and I honestly didn't even notice him in the post season. (most the team will be getting playoff F's
-Perry- C / F... Didn't expect much from him, and he didn't do much. In the playoffs, he had many chances to score and didn't, especially game 4.
-Rakell- A / C-... He had a great season, solidifying himself as a top line player. He tried in the playoffs, and was one of the few, but didn't get too much going of course
-Silf- D / F... Saw nothing all year. Of course playoffs were worse. Our shootout/breakaway hero is no longer sniping.
-Kesler- C / F... I expected about what he was able to do in the regular season. I was hoping he was pacing himself, but he was not. I hope he heals up. He's a fun player to watch, and just a season ago was a Selke caliber player and a major leader for us.
-Cogs- C / B... One of the few players that looked like they knew what they were doing in the playoffs on this damn team. If our skaters were all Cogliano we would have won a few games at least.
-Kase- A / F... I thought his line would bring it in the playoffs, but they were useless. He was a nice surprise this regular season though.
-Ritchie- D / F... I don't expect much, and he doesn't even do that. Just takes penalties and falls behind in every play. Unless he changes his game, he'll be out of the league soon. Needs to get faster.
-Henrique- A / F... My expectations were not super high, so he was a nice surprise. He's the one left handed person that can shoot on the team. He was very absent in the playoffs.
-4th line and others- D / F... None of them matter or cared to make themselves matter enough to be on here. Our depth needs a major overhaul, but it's not like they play much anyway.

-Fowler- D / NA... I was disappointed by him this year. He's (probably) my favorite player, so maybe I'm hard on him. He did have to play with Bieksa WAY too much, so maybe it's just that... Hope he can get healthy and rebound next year without casual Kev ruining everything.
-Hampus- C / F... An unspectacular season capped with not doing anything well in the playoffs. I think he's never going to mature into that epic #1 d that carries the offense and defense. I think he'll cap at a solid top pairing defensive d. He and Manson can be a great shutdown pair.
-Manson- B+ / F... Showed some offense this year! I still think he gets run around a decent amount, but somehow does a better job than any of our other dmen at recovering and getting to rebounds. In the playoffs, he was terrible.
-Monty- B / C... He was the only player trying to score (or do anything) in the playoffs, but his play was just normal, whereas the rest of the team fell off so bad, it made him look good. He works hard and is willing to shoot, so that's good.
-Beauch- C- / F... He tried...
-Bieksa- F / F... My expectations were so low, and he managed to still get under them. He's a beer-leaguer stuck in a pro-player's life. Some of you may say we have Trump as president to prove the glitch in the matrix, I say we have Bieksa as our proof.
-Petterssen- B- / F... He is learning. Moves the puck, and plays so much better than the two above him.

-Gibson- A+ / B... He had (IMO) the best season of any Ducks goalie ever. He was why we got to the playoffs. He wasn't able to work his magic in any of the games, but the team provided no support at all.
-Miller- A- / NA... He exceeded my expectations this year, and played really well. He only had one really bad stinker game, and covered for Gibson's many injuries.

Our D (on paper) and goalie should be able to carry this team. Maybe with no Frankie/Kevin next season they'll do better with minor call ups and signing a 6/7 dman. The forwards have NO mission, no personality, no identity. This probably is mostly because of the coach, but we still didn't have a great team identity with Bruce. Our D was way better with Bruce though. The league is getting faster. We need to be fast. We need a coach that doesn't skate the team into the ground and only play 3 lines.

TL/DR: Our team is bad and they should feel bad.
Silf lindholm and kase were fine in the playoffs the effort was there.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Yeah a lot of my opinion is expectations vs performance. I expected very little from Perry, when I expected Getz to carry us. Maybe silf was just dragged down by Kesler a lot?

There were no heroes on our team this post season.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah a lot of my opinion is expectations vs performance. I expected very little from Perry, when I expected Getz to carry us. Maybe silf was just dragged down by Kesler a lot?

There were no heroes on our team this post season.

The hero was the guy who was on penalty box duty. Had a lot to do and a shitload of tantrums to deal with.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The hero was the guy who was on penalty box duty. Had a lot to do and a ****load of tantrums to deal with.
Haha the bald guy with glasses in the penalty box(i think hes usually in the away teams box) was 1 of my old coaches

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I hope Bob isn't just looking at fast skaters as the key. I'm not sure Vegas, per se, is a really fast team but they are quick and relentless. They suffocated the Sharks and everyone was involved the entire game.

Even if the current Ducks would just make quick decisions in moving the puck and always putting out the effort it would go a long way. It doesn't matter how fast you skate if the team is just going to stand around and hold the puck.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bob's so full of shit it's hard to know where to begin. But it's laughable that he claims RC knew what needed to be done but our playoff push precluded implementing that style of play. I can hardly wait for next year's excuse for why what he promised isn't happening. :popcorn:

Reactions: Yemeth

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Did they ever release an end of season injuries list?

I know we are pretty tight lipped on these things, but the exit interviews and injury updates I missed??

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I know we are pretty tight lipped on these things, but the exit interviews and injury updates I missed??

IIRC, Bob said they're not expecting any major surgeries during the offseason.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Not really besides the obvious ones (Kesler, Fowler). They were awfully quiet post elimination this year and only like 3-4 guys even did interviews. Normally they give more detail and have more guys available to the media.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Not only that, but I think that day was just a day where they had a few select people talk to the media. It wasn't "exit interview day". Bob said he wanted to let things settle down before they did exit interviews. I don't think it was ever made public when that happened.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They were too embarrassed by their effort level to make up excuses

Reactions: Duck Off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->