Post-Game Talk: Post Mortem Analysis

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah, let's expect a guy with no speed to "buy into playing fast"

it truly amazes me how stupid these people are. BM is so predictable

he'll acquire a couple chimera-types and expect them to fit RC's new "speed first" system and it'll fail miserably as we all know it will

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
i could see RC getting fired early next season just like he was the first time around

1st round exit.......team comes out playing like garbage to start the next season off......RC fired

i wouldn't be surprised if the players started tuning him out again just like they did during the end of his first tenure. yet BM will cling desperately to the injuries excuse just to he can bring his friend back

pathetic
The worst part about this kind of scenario is that it means there won't be anyone good available. Coaching changes are normally made now. People are available now.

That quote gets me so mad. Trying to fit round pegs into square holes. The parts do not equal the sum, Murray this is on you. There’s no vision and it’s so obvious that he shoots from the hip and looks for the flavor of the year. We tried to go speed.. then heavy when LAK went through the cup and 2015, now we’re back to speed. No vision and no identity. Good teams impose THEIR will onto other teams - not try to play catch up after you get smoked in a playoff series.
I've said this about Murray for years.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
More from Coppinger-
Murray reiterated there won't be a change on the bench. After all, the GM had "no issues" with the job Carlyle did and said he found it "remarkable" the Ducks even qualified for the playoffs considering the rash of injuries with which they contended.

"In today's hockey you can't just play four or five defenseman and nine forwards," said Murray, who believes the fourth line should play between 10 and 14 minutes each game. That unit usually skated between five and seven minutes.
"You cannot play fast if you're only playing that number of players. Our schedule's too hard; it's impossible. So we have to change some things," he added.
Ducks enter the offseason looking to adjust to NHL's evolving game

I simply can not get over the amount of contradictory statements we've seen today from these 2. So BM has no issues with the job RC did, but yet "you can't play the way we need to if you don't have a 4th line/3rd pair that play significant minutes." Disconnect much? We're not fast enough, but we won't be acquiring players to help with that? BM just expects to Harry Potter his way to us being fast?

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
So BM admits the team needs to play 4 lines and 6 defensemen and yet keeps a guy as a coach who rarely plays a 4 th line and doesn’t like to use his bottom pairing very often?

He says Getz looked exhausted because he was playing huge minutes and yet keeps a coach who has a history of running his stars into the ground?

Honestly it’s hard to even understand BM’s thought process. His actions and words are completely opposite.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Murray bringing some heat on Perry.. but.. what if you aren’t fast? How can you buy into speed?

It sounds a little weird but I get it. Getz and Perry aren't fast players but they also play at a very slow pace and the rest of the team definitely emulates it. Getzlaf especially loves slowing things down, I guess they want that to stop.

As for the article, seems like a vote of confidence in Carlyle the motivator(which is questionable at best) but hardly one in Carlyle the tactician. This isn't typical vague Murray, the guy who gets the players and his job ends there, he seems to be spelling out pretty specifically what his coach is going to do differently.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
slowing things down is part of getzlaf's success

for perry, he just doesn't have speed anymore. he's not slowing things down, he's just slow as hell

it's almost as if BM doesn't watch the team play

Reactions: Paul4587

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I can't figure out if Bob is that f***ing stupid or if he thinks we are. But either way, I'm fully on board with the belief that his time here should be up now too. That kind of stupidity cannot succeed in the NHL. :shakehead

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
slowing things down is part of getzlaf's success

for perry, he just doesn't have speed anymore. he's not slowing things down, he's just slow as hell

it's almost as if BM doesn't watch the team play

Meh, Getzlaf needing to make quicker decisions has long been a critique, and it's not like he's not capable of doing it. He's gotten a little better, especially with regards to shooting, but I'm not sure how much anyone could chip away at the perfectionist in him.

As for Perry, he can definitely play faster. For one, start actually hustling more than once every two weeks. Up to Randy to actually incentivize that, but maybe that's another thing BM told him to start doing(and not outrageous with our RW depth).

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Wow, the amount of stupid coming out of BM's mouth is staggering.

Let me sum it up. We have to play a style completing foreign to the style our head coach implements. Therefore, I am bringing him back and expecting to see something different.

Didn't we hear this **** at the beginning of this season?

BM sounds like someone too stubborn to admit he shouldn't have rehired RC, therefore he's doubling down to prove everyone else wrong.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Coppingers story is up.

Ducks enter the offseason looking to adjust to NHL's evolving game

No coaching change as it was remarkable they made playoffs with injuries they had. Then Murray is quoted saying goaltending covers up a lot of crap... yeah like horrific coaching dumbass.

Yeah I don’t get it. I like a lot of what Murray is saying:

Can’t play Getzlaf that many minutes.
System isn’t working.
Rolling 4 lines is crucial.
Goaltending made us look better than we were.

Then he f***s that all up with saying Carlyle deserves credit for when team was hurt and he had faith that he can adjust. Seriously when has Carlyle shown he’s remotely capable of adjusting to anything?!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Meh, Getzlaf needing to make quicker decisions has long been a critique, and it's not like he's not capable of doing it. He's gotten a little better, especially with regards to shooting, but I'm not sure how much anyone could chip away at the perfectionist in him.

As for Perry, he can definitely play faster. For one, start actually hustling more than once every two weeks. Up to Randy to actually incentivize that, but maybe that's another thing BM told him to start doing(and not outrageous with our RW depth).

disagree that perry could play faster

he's been slow his entire career. back in the day he had barely enough speed to be successful

now, the game is only getting faster while he gets older. he has zero speed and is relying 100% on his hands (which are still there) but that isn't enough for him to be successful in today's NHL

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
disagree that perry could play faster

he's been slow his entire career. back in the day he had barely enough speed to be successful

now, the game is only getting faster while he gets older. he has zero speed and is relying 100% on his hands (which are still there) but that isn't enough for him to be successful in today's NHL

Slow guys can still succeed, even on really fast teams. Friedman, in his Perry conversation, mentioned how Paul Stastny is also slow yet fit pretty seamlessly between two speedsters. Perry's a smart enough player that I think he can do it, if he wants to. Maybe an issue is Perry and Getzlaf playing together, which I'd also be very fine with.

Thinking on it more, there are also quite a few guys on the team who could play faster. Like, if you only watched him 5 on 5 or just in the offensive zone, would you ever know Cogs is one of the fastest guys in the league?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Perry and Getzlaf had much success playing a slower game. I get the feeling (from Bob's comments) Perry may be resisting changing his game to work in a faster system. Of course anybody can be excused for not understanding a coach who preaches the grind game and then tries to tell us he has changed and supposedly already implement a faster game.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah I don’t get it. I like a lot of what Murray is saying:

Can’t play Getzlaf that many minutes.
System isn’t working.
Rolling 4 lines is crucial.
Goaltending made us look better than we were.

Then he ****s that all up with saying Carlyle deserves credit for when team was hurt and he had faith that he can adjust. Seriously when has Carlyle shown he’s remotely capable of adjusting to anything?!

His approach to and usage of young players has changed pretty dramatically. I'm not sure why guys don't acknowledge that, or in some cases act like the opposite is true, but it's pretty much impossible to deny.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
And there it is.

“Murray pointed to the attacking style the Sharks used and said he would like to see the Ducks skate in similar fashion.”

Does this f***ing guy ever not want to copy someone else who was successful against us?

Reactions: Getzmonster

ktulu98

Nov 24, 2005
slovakia
So all our hopes were just crushed... RC is back for next season...

If Henry will allow friendship of RC - BM to ruin next few seasons then he is blind.

After this quote he should immediately fire both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad