Possible trade and roster fixes for the Wings, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is Eklund so take it with a bag full of salt, but he claims the Wings are back in on Vanek.

Could be the price is dropping as nobody is meeting the Islanders expectations, don't want to touch this unless he is willing to extend though for any assets. Even if the package is dropping, it is still a waste to offer guys for him. My guess is they are actually talking about a 2nd and B prospect for MacDonald.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Not if the Red Wings get the best player in the deal, whatever deal that would be. Tatar and Nyquist are good but let's not pretend they are slated superstars and aren't expendable for the right player.

Remember when Zetterberg and Datsyuk scored 30-40 points in their rookie seasons? Suggesting neither Tatar or Nyquist will blossom into two superstars at this point in time is premature. Kesler is past his prime and has an injury history. The Red Wings are already old and slow.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think I would have paid the 3rd and 5th for Pirri. I think Chicago has goofed in how they handled that kid

I don't like how they have handled him, but he does have the feel of either a guy that is on a terrible team in the NHL or one of the players that bosses around the AHL for the next decade. His defense really is very poor, funny part is with the defensive wingers they had in Chicago they could have balanced it out and at least showcased him for the first thirty games into a much better return, but Q's point about the way he plays defense is true. The Griffins pick on him a ton, when AHL teams attempt to isolate you defensively that doesn't bode well for the next level. I do think it was horrible asset management though, the Hawks wouldn't have lost a ton of games playing him in the two hole with Sharp and Hossa and could have worked their lines accordingly, but not the choice they made.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
It is Eklund so take it with a bag full of salt, but he claims the Wings are back in on Vanek.

Could be the price is dropping as nobody is meeting the Islanders expectations, don't want to touch this unless he is willing to extend though for any assets. Even if the package is dropping, it is still a waste to offer guys for him. My guess is they are actually talking about a 2nd and B prospect for MacDonald.

Eklund is nearly ALWAYS wrong. When he's right, it tends to be by chance. I don't know why people give him any credence at all.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eklund is nearly ALWAYS wrong. When he's right, it tends to be by chance. I don't know why people give him any credence at all.

I don't pay much attention to him outside of Philly really. That is in the right part of the country though he seems to have connection in Pennsylvania, Jersey and New York area. For instance he had the Islanders interested in Vanek to begin with, it is more the talk of things he flushes out. Some of it is terribly off and a big part of that is he doesn't understand packages and he needs site clicks.

What would be interesting is I don't think the Wings have stepped up efforts at all as he put it. If New York shopped him around and has come up in their opinions short of the package the Wings offered well over a month ago, would they call now in a panic? I don't know, I kind of let that ship sail with Holland's comments without the extension I don't have much interest. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Snow is getting squeezed, oddly enough by the player he dealt in the first place constricting the market in terms of LA and others producing legitimate offers. Maybe they are hopeful the Wings are still interested at whatever price wasn't getting it done earlier, of course all this is opinion and speculation.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Eklund is a legit Philly source but thats about it. I'll give the guy that though, hes from Philly and broke both the Carter and Richards trades and everyone laughed cause it was Eklund. But they happened.

I wouldnt wanna trade Nyquist for Kesler as others have said either. Nyquist is ripping it up and is so much younger/healthier. I'm not against paying a decent price for Kesler, just wouldnt wanna give up Nyquist

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Isles overpaid to get him from Buffalo and will want to recoup most of what they gave up to save face if for no other reason. Vanek turned down a big money offer from NYI to boot, though maybe he just doesn't want to play for them, he must know the money will be close as a FA and Wings can't pony that up.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Only way I want Vanek is if the Wings can talk to him in advance to gauge his long term interest in Detroit and maybe negotiate a contract. Too late for that now so close to the deadline, so it's very likely not happening.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
It turns out Holland said that he won't trade the Wings' 1st.

This year or next years. This year because we could still miss the play-offs and end up with a pick in the 10-14 range, and next year because it's a deeper draft year - or so the story goes.

If all this is true than it tells me the Wings are not making any near big moves and all these rumblings and links to Vanek, Kesler and the like are reporter made up BS.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I've been a big proponent of trading for Kesler, but not at the expense of Nyquist. No way.

I'd do Tatar instead due to the potential of Nyquist, I think the most of us believe that Nyquist will be a more complete and better player.

I'd ONLY ever give up Nyquist for a legit number one defensemen. Like Weber-esque.

Also, when it comes to Vanek - I'm iffy. He looked so incredibly lazy and disinterested in Sochi. He was worse than Mule, lol. I would easily rather go after Kesler.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Unlike any other recent years, I would be ok with not doing anything this trade deadline.

This team reminds me of the 2002-03 Wings team... You know, but with a lot less talent :laugh:

Fedorov (32), Shanahan (33), and Hull (38) leading the way in points compared to
Zetterberg (32), Datsyuk (35), and Alfredsson (40)

Datsyuk (24) and Zetterberg (21) had great seasons much like
Nyquist (24) and Tatar (22) are having.

It could be interpreted as a complete reach with no relevancy, but hey I like to make things interesting. :nod:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I've been a big proponent of trading for Kesler, but not at the expense of Nyquist. No way.

I'd do Tatar instead due to the potential of Nyquist, I think the most of us believe that Nyquist will be a more complete and better player.

I'd ONLY ever give up Nyquist for a legit number one defensemen. Like Weber-esque.

Also, when it comes to Vanek - I'm iffy. He looked so incredibly lazy and disinterested in Sochi. He was worse than Mule, lol. I would easily rather go after Kesler.

but Franzen was invisible out there! :sarcasm:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Unlike any other recent years, I would be ok with not doing anything this trade deadline.

I'm also hoping for the "we really like our team" speech come Wednesday.

I don't want to sell off our depth and future for Kesler, Vanek, or any other forward who's available.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

This team reminds me of the 2002-03 Wings team... You know, but with a lot less talent :laugh:

Fedorov (32), Shanahan (33), and Hull (38) leading the way in points compared to
Zetterberg (32), Datsyuk (35), and Alfredsson (40)

Datsyuk (24) and Zetterberg (21) had great seasons much like
Nyquist (24) and Tatar (22) are having.

It could be interpreted as a complete reach with no relevancy, but hey I like to make things interesting. :nod:

Nyquist and Tatar are having good years, but yeah, I'd definitely say it's a bit different of a scenario than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were able to be carried to their inflated stats with stars such as Fedorov, Shanahan, Hull, and Yzerman carrying the load, while Nyquist and Tatar are doing it all on their own most nights without much of any help. That's the biggest difference, tbh. I'd say the stats they're putting up are at least double as impressive as Datsyuk and Zetterberg in '02.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don't want to trade either Nyquist or Tatar. To me they are our next Zetterberg (Nyquist) and Tatar (Datsyuk) because there are alot of similarties(sp?) between them. Honestly, someone like Robidas, MacDonald, or Greene would be perfect for us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They say they don't like that he hasn't developed a 200 ft game.

with how thin they are at center, and with the type of defensive wings they could surround him with, that seems like something you try to roll with, though. Continuously burying him in the AHL seems like the least effective way to deal with him.

I don't like how they have handled him, but he does have the feel of either a guy that is on a terrible team in the NHL or one of the players that bosses around the AHL for the next decade. His defense really is very poor, funny part is with the defensive wingers they had in Chicago they could have balanced it out and at least showcased him for the first thirty games into a much better return, but Q's point about the way he plays defense is true. The Griffins pick on him a ton, when AHL teams attempt to isolate you defensively that doesn't bode well for the next level. I do think it was horrible asset management though, the Hawks wouldn't have lost a ton of games playing him in the two hole with Sharp and Hossa and could have worked their lines accordingly, but not the choice they made.

This is the thing that i don't get. the Hawks are deep everywhere but center, but they never seemed overly interested in seeing what they could get out of Pirri, almost actively killing his trade value with burying him in the AHL. maybe there was some heavier attitude problems behind the scenes or some other stuff going on, but I'd have still taken a swing on him with the Wings. But I also have more faith in Babcock than in Quenville.

crashman

I don't want to trade either Nyquist or Tatar. To me they are our next Zetterberg (Nyquist) and Tatar (Datsyuk) because there are alot of similarties(sp?) between them. Honestly, someone like Robidas, MacDonald, or Greene would be perfect for us.

I've been seeing this a lot lately, and I think people that believe that are going to be very disappointed.

I'm a huge fan of both Tatar and Nyquist, but I think they'll be a lot closer to the next Filppula & Hudler, than the next D & Z.

I'm okay with dealing one of our promising youngsters for a upgrade on defense, but only if Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be healthy enough to carry the team in the playoffs. They need to take advantage of these guys while they're still elite players. Guys like them don't come around often, and we don't have anyone close to their level in our prospect pool. It's not that the Wings have weak prospects, they obviously don't, just that D & Z are just very rare talents.

People need to remember that potential and a nice prospect pool never won anyone a cup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I've been seeing this a lot lately, and I think people that believe that are going to be very disappointed.

I'm a huge fan of both Tatar and Nyquist, but I think they'll be a lot closer to the next Filppula & Hudler, than the next D & Z.

I'm okay with dealing one of our promising youngsters for a upgrade on defense, but only if Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be healthy enough to carry the team in the playoffs. They need to take advantage of these guys while they're still elite players. Guys like them don't come around often, and we don't have anyone close to their level in our prospect pool. It's not that the Wings have weak prospects, they obviously don't, just that D & Z are just very rare talents.

People need to remember that potential and a nice prospect pool never won anyone a cup.

Also, Tatar and Nyquist are wings. Great wings can compensate for weakness down the middle to a degree, but you need strength up the middle to win. The guys we need to meet expectations are Sheahan and Jarnkrok (and Athanasiou, but he's a bit further off).

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Also, Tatar and Nyquist are wings. Great wings can compensate for weakness down the middle to a degree, but you need strength up the middle to win. The guys we need to meet expectations are Sheahan and Jarnkrok (and Athanasiou, but he's a bit further off).

AA is not playing ctr and hasn't for some weeks. I kinda doubt he will play ctr in the AHL

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm 100% in the stand pat camp, let the younger players play out the year for better or worse. That experience and the chance to tweak the lineup in the offseason gives the Wings a unique shot at being very competitive next season. I'm not okay with trading a first round pick, and I'm not even okay with trading a second round pick that will be in the 45 range.

OK 99%, because who knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad