[Poll] Will Carlyle be fired ? - Register your prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thanks but no thanks
Dont want that spinorama king on this team.
Perfectly fine with
Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Carrick/Mac/who ever else?

Not saying Grabo is great, but with that group of centres expect another non-playoff year. People are so perfectly fine with mediocrity, that's what I have learned.

Tyler Biggs*

Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: ”When it comes to Trotz he’s such a great coach. He’ll find a spot. There are some rumblings that a decision in Van will happen soon.” … HS doesn’t have exact quote but Dreger said that Trotz could end up in Vancouver, replacing John Tortorella. He also said not to count out the Maple Leafs either. Leafs GM Dave is scouting in Finland and when he returns, he’ll meet with Brendan Shanahan to address the Maple Leafs coaching situation.

mikebel111*

Not saying Grabo is great, but with that group of centres expect another non-playoff year. People are so perfectly fine with mediocrity, that's what I have learned.

Bozak played really well. He might regress but is very valuable.
Kadri is still young, i know u arent a big fan of him but he should get better. 50 points in a bad season playing with mostly brutal linemates. U dont deal him unless for great trades
Holland is also a good young centre. It can be argued he looked better than Kadri at times.
Than whoever the 4th line C is.
Its actually not bad but we need Kadri to take the next step.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: â€When it comes to Trotz he’s such a great coach. He’ll find a spot. There are some rumblings that a decision in Van will happen soon.†… HS doesn’t have exact quote but Dreger said that Trotz could end up in Vancouver, replacing John Tortorella. He also said not to count out the Maple Leafs either. Leafs GM Dave is scouting in Finland and when he returns, he’ll meet with Brendan Shanahan to address the Maple Leafs coaching situation.

they can't use a phone?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
they can't use a phone?

:laugh: exactly. or even skype. ralph krueger got fired over skype by craig mactavish last year. nonis can surely dismiss carlyle from all the way in finland or even discuss the situation with shanahan from finland. what's important now tbh? scouting in finland or focusing on firing the head coach after a disastrous season? hmm...

that statement by dreger is a doozy :shakehead

edit: anyone know when this trip to finland will be over? and when can we expect nonis in toronto?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: exactly. or even skype. ralph krueger got fired over skype by craig mactavish last year. nonis can surely dismiss carlyle from all the way in finland or even discuss the situation with shanahan from finland. what's important now tbh? scouting in finland or focusing on firing the head coach after a disastrous season? hmm...

edit: anyone know when this trip to finland will be over? and when can we expect nonis in toronto?

I'm guessing like most they don't see the urgency.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I guess it depends, probably depending on how Canada does (I don't think the scouting trip is so much for the players- but on Dineen as well).

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Firing the coach is not a priority with the draft coming. Before you fire Carlyle you need to decide what direction you are taking. Then you can hire the right coach. A defensive coach, an offensive coach, a coach who will just play the crap out of the young guys because you are going that way. They need an identity then coach.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: â€When it comes to Trotz he’s such a great coach. He’ll find a spot. There are some rumblings that a decision in Van will happen soon.†… HS doesn’t have exact quote but Dreger said that Trotz could end up in Vancouver, replacing John Tortorella. He also said not to count out the Maple Leafs either. Leafs GM Dave is scouting in Finland and when he returns, he’ll meet with Brendan Shanahan to address the Maple Leafs coaching situation.

Probably waiting until the first few playoff rounds are over to see who's been fired. The Finland trip is an excuse.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Firing the coach is not a priority with the draft coming. Before you fire Carlyle you need to decide what direction you are taking. Then you can hire the right coach. A defensive coach, an offensive coach, a coach who will just play the crap out of the young guys because you are going that way. They need an identity then coach.

Agreed, they could wait most of the summer if need be.

Only exception I could see if there is a UFA you really want, the right Coach could increase that Players desire to sign with you.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm with a lot of the hockey media's opinion:

He might take the fall for this, but unfairly so.

The real problem is the players.

Just like he unfairly took the fall for the 10-11 Ducks? Wilson's last year with a weaker core the club allowed 5 less shots per game. How can they possibly be worse than Buffalo? Thats the system, not the individuals. Unless you really think Grabo and Mac were all that held it together, it falls on RC. Not every coach is right for every lineup and this club just isn't a fit for Carlyle. Boudreau was great for Anaheim, but Washington's winning % actually improved when he left. In Boudreau's case the Caps players stopped listening. For Randy, the Leafs never heard him at all and rode strong goaltending to some success. In the end it wasn't sustainable after all.

Wilson's doormat 9-10 club was tied for 13th in SA but had Toskala and "the Monster" sidestepping pucks. Look at the skaters on that club yet they still outshot their opponents most nights. Don't get me wrong, this season's collapse was the players bailing on the coach, but the inconsistent defense and total reliance on the goalies for the 110 or so games before that was Randy's coaching.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Agreed, they could wait most of the summer if need be.

Only exception I could see if there is a UFA you really want, the right Coach could increase that Players desire to sign with you.

You're not going to get who you want if you wait all summer. You want to hire a coach a few weeks before training camp? I don't think that's how teams operate.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
truthfully if it doesn't happen in the 1st round - it's probably happening maybe draft? And that's too close to UFA season for me.

Which means if it doesn't happen next week - it's probably not happening at all (I could be wrong), but if we want to attract any UFAs, we're going to have to have a coach in place (or a vote of 'confidence' of Carlyle) before Draft.

That would be a Carlyle/Nonis tandem going into the season - which would probably indicate they'd be fired before Christmas, which would work for me too.

HEAVY DUTY

Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
truthfully if it doesn't happen in the 1st round - it's probably happening maybe draft? And that's too close to UFA season for me.

Which means if it doesn't happen next week - it's probably not happening at all (I could be wrong), but if we want to attract any UFAs, we're going to have to have a coach in place (or a vote of 'confidence' of Carlyle) before Draft.

That would be a Carlyle/Nonis tandem going into the season - which would probably indicate they'd be fired before Christmas, which would work for me too.

i have a gut feeling telling me that once nonis is back from his "scouting trip", he'll be fired along with carlyle.

i honestly don't want to wait till december cause it'll be another wasted year if we do.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You're not going to get who you want if you wait all summer. You want to hire a coach a few weeks before training camp? I don't think that's how teams operate.

Who do they want? That's the thing. When we say it can wait it doesn't mean it will be September. You don't even know who will be fired after the playoffs. If Hitch loses to Chicago is he gone in St. Louis? Bylsma in Pittsburgh? Most GMs are probably waiting until the playoffs are over.

HEAVY DUTY

Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Who do they want? That's the thing. When we say it can wait it doesn't mean it will be September. You don't even know who will be fired after the playoffs. If Hitch loses to Chicago is he gone in St. Louis? Bylsma in Pittsburgh? Most GMs are probably waiting until the playoffs are over.

i'll just post Hope Smoke's tweet as a response to your post! key part is in bold.

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke · Apr 22

That's absurd. Idea that there are no coaches to replace Carlyle with is nuts. Also, no need to fire Carlyle & hire replacement at same time

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
i'll just post Hope Smoke's tweet as a response to your post! key part is in bold.

So then maybe they don't want to fire Carlyle. How should I take someone's opinion in that case? All I can take away from that is they are not sure at this point.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
i have a gut feeling telling me that once nonis is back from his "scouting trip", he'll be fired along with carlyle.

i honestly don't want to wait till december cause it'll be another wasted year if we do.

Oh I don't know, Eichel would do wonders here ;)

Hitch has an option. (He can opt out).
I don't want Bylsma ANYWHERE near this team.

I want Dineen (Young and worked with young players, different situations: see Women's Olympic Team), or a flat out rookie. it's not so much of the team we have on the ice right now, but the future. we want to have a coach like Babcock in Detroit (9 years and counting) and if it's a coach who knows how to fully deal with youth, and help us move forward, and develop [buzz words activated] "culture change, leadership, etc], i don't think you get that with an NHL coach right now. (not the ones who'll be fired imo). Trotz would be a great putty holder though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Oh I don't know, Eichel would do wonders here ;)

Hitch has an option. (He can opt out).
I don't want Bylsma ANYWHERE near this team.

I want Dineen (Young and worked with young players, different situations: see Women's Olympic Team), or a flat out rookie. it's not so much of the team we have on the ice right now, but the future. we want to have a coach like Babcock in Detroit (9 years and counting) and if it's a coach who knows how to fully deal with youth, and help us move forward, and develop [buzz words activated] "culture change, leadership, etc], i don't think you get that with an NHL coach right now. (not the ones who'll be fired imo). Trotz would be a great putty holder though.

Claude Noel is very intelligent well spoken man on the TSN panel. Very good analysis of Detroit/Boston series of team systems. He will probably be a coach again somewhere.

HEAVY DUTY

Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
well, the U-18 tournament is done today. so nonis (and dineen) should be back in toronto by this week. carlyle getting the boot should happen the upcoming week...hopefully.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
well, the U-18 tournament is done today. so nonis (and dineen) should be back in toronto by this week. carlyle getting the boot should happen the upcoming week...hopefully.

Also since the 1st round is finishing, so some other teams will also be evaluating their coaching situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad